Hillsborough

Bulletguy

John52 - 2019-11-29 10:44 AM

I could forgive him for his mistakes, but not for the blame shifting he did afterwards.

But instead of an inquiry into that we need an inquiry into the way they conduct inquirys - vast expense and delay to fob us off with f*ck all >:-)

IIRC Duckenfield took over from a previous officer who had much more experience policing matches and was well respected by the club. I remember the ground design itself (at the time...i expect it's changed now) was really bad and the entrance supporters were rammed through was an disaster waiting to happen. I think the club owners bear some responsibility and am aware that ground designs have changed since as a result. Shameful that it took the needless deaths of 96 people to do it.

What about the FA taking some of the blame?

If it had been an all ticket game, none of this would have happened.

I attended an FA Cup second replay at Roker Park in 1964 (Sunderland v Man Utd) when an estimated 100,000+ Fans turned up. One man died of a Heart attack and a number were injured in the crush. I was caught up in it and it was terrifying.

There is debate to be made around if he was responsible 'beyond reasonable doubt', and not just the scapegoat, and that is presumably why he was found not guilty. However next year there will be the court case over the cover up, that I'm guessing will have a different outcome.

747 - 2019-11-29 6:08 PM

What about the FA taking some of the blame?

If it had been an all ticket game, none of this would have happened.

I would have thought they bear some responsibility. I don't know how it "works" as i'm not a football supporter but thought the FA controlled the way clubs operate? Hillsborough ground may well have been upgraded now but when i last looked at images of the area by the ticket booths where the crushing started before going into the stand, it looked hopelessly outdated and poorly built.

To understand what happened at Hillsborough you have to understand how football fans , all football fans were treated 30 years ago ... I know , at that time I travelled all over the country watching football ... You also have to understand the mentality of the Liverpool fans who at that tine were used to semi-finals and finals and used to turning up late and being allowed in with or without tickets ... Hillsborough really is one of those moments where the famous words "lessons will be learnt" really do apply

I have never had to suffer the loss of a family member due to the incompetence/recklessness of others so what I say hereafter is to be judged by my limited experience.

Seems to me that what happened at Hillsborough cannot be laid wholly at the door of any particular individual. It was a tragic combination of failings on the part of several actors. That the family members of those that died are dissatisfied with the whole affair and the acquittal of Mr Duckenfield is understandable. It must be so hard for them to forgive anyone who had a duty to ensure the safety of those attending the game. Nevertheless, Mr Duckenfield was tried by his peers. If one were to imagine for a moment how being subjected to a retrial has taken its toll on him and his family, perhaps he may be considered to have paid the price for his part in the disaster.

I certainly agree with you 100% Violet.

For the record, I went to football matches from an early age. By the time I had grown up children, neither of them had an inclination to do the same. Crowd violence inside the ground, the same outside of the ground and the disgusting state of the facilities inside the Stadia made it a totally unpleasant experience.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-11-30 2:16 PM

I have never had to suffer the loss of a family member due to the incompetence/recklessness of others so what I say hereafter is to be judged by my limited experience.

Seems to me that what happened at Hillsborough cannot be laid wholly at the door of any particular individual. It was a tragic combination of failings on the part of several actors. That the family members of those that died are dissatisfied with the whole affair and the acquittal of Mr Duckenfield is understandable. It must be so hard for them to forgive anyone who had a duty to ensure the safety of those attending the game. Nevertheless, Mr Duckenfield was tried by his peers. If one were to imagine for a moment how being subjected to a retrial has taken its toll on him and his family, perhaps he may be considered to have paid the price for his part in the disaster.

Hear Hear.........

As mentioned previously i'm not a football fan so never been to a match or know anything about the various clubs and grounds but often wondered if culture plays a part. I have relatives who are football fans and one, now in his 80's, who is Liverpool born 'n bred but lived his married life in Canada until his wife died and he moved back here, told me something i'd never known before. Cities with two football clubs (such as Liverpool), the rivalry was sometimes divided by religion with one club drawing Protestants and the other Catholic...i can't remember which club was which now but Everton and the other one.

Twickenham rugby stadium isn't that far from my sons place and he said you just need to keep clear of the main road on match days as it get's rammed, but trouble among fans is almost non-existent. One year i was at their house visiting, there was an international match between France and England. All the surrounding pubs were packed with supporters, French and Brits all in good spirits....even after the match.

Archived