Home Information Packs.

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

I heard a rumour from an Estate Agent friend (I know sad isn't it) that the real reason for these otherwise pointless HIPs is so the government can start building up a database of efficient homes in order that in years to come another tax can be imposed on the older and less efficient homes as another 'green' revenue raising ruse?

Not being a cynic I don't think it likely - yeah right!

Of course the one thing that every body wants to know these days is the flood risk assessment - but that was not deemed important enough to include in the HIP by those who planned them.

Good job I'm not a cynic is all I can say

The fact that a house has not had a HIP could be because it hasn't been sold. That won't mean it's a less efficient home.

Mind you, if it's a rumour, from an estate agent ...................

As for flood risk, there's a website somewhere that indicates, by post code, where flooding is likely but I can't remember where I saw it.

Guest Tracker

Flood risk can be seen on the Environment Agency flood risk site but it is very general and although post code linked it is not specific to each individual property.

As the years pass every house that comes on the market will be energy rated until such time that the dear old government of the day insist that all are rated.

This would be an impossible task both logistically and politically right now but in a few years from now - well who knows?

Oh bummer ... we'd love to make ours more energy efficient. We've already got good loft insulation, UPVC windows and doors (bar one), keep the heating down but unfortunately can't have cavity wall insulation as the gap isn't big enough. :-(

Actually, the govt. already know how big your house is and tax you on it! It's called Council Tax! The Council Tax banding was initially done by the Inland Revenue. I know this because my then neighbour did a lot of the banding in Warrington. This info. is on their database and is what they used for the forthcoming rebanding.

Local authorities are only the collecting agent for this and Business Tax, which is then paid into Central Govt. and then divided up to each L.A.

Guest Tracker

And when they get all the efficiency data they will be able to manipulate the council tax just as they have vehicle excise duty since the ratings of all cars have been available and on the vrd.

The all seeing all grabbing big Scots brother is watching you and me very carefully to find more ways to extract the pound whilst appealing to the 'green' and/or 'PC' brigade for support.

Archived