Home Insurance

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Once more renewal time approaches and the CCC want £257 to cover us for another year with Royal Sun Alliance.

The cover is wide with more than adequate sums insured and it does also cover us for up to 60 continuous days of our home being unoccupied. Nevertheless it seems a bit pricey to me and it is a lot more than last year.

So I contacted the 'confused.com' website where I found a quote for broadly similar cover but with only 40 days of unoccupied cover for £142 (includes a one off £50 cash back - so £192 gross) with Barclay's Bank Insurance.

Not being a great admirer of the banks I phoned them to confirm both the cashback and the unoccupancy clause which they did as being £50 cashback after 28 days from the start of the policy, and 40 days in the first year but extendable (at a 'small' charge) to a maximum of 90 days.

As we seem unlikely to be away for more than 40 days in the next 12 months that seems like a pretty fair deal to me?

I once had insurance cover descibed to me by a barrister in the following terms: 'an insurance company are always prepared to lend you an umbrella on the understanding that it is not going to rain!' If you are happy with the cover you are getting then it is good value. After all we all have insurance hoping that it is not going to rain!!'

Regards, Mike

Hi,

I don't know the about cost, but for any of you that will be away from home for longer periods than those covered above e.g over winter then its worth having a look at the Nationwide BS home insurance as when we renewed last year it was open ended as long as you had someone to visit regularly and if it was over winter then you needed to keep the heating set to maintain over 12 degs, so its worth checking if they still offer that service

Archived