How Often

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

do you wash yours?

I just washed our van today.

I don't like to do it too often as it removes the polish.

It was not really dirty enough to justify using all that water during this long dry hot summer, but due to the lack of wind driven rain to keep it clean it was looking a bit dusty.

It was the first time it's been washed since we were at The Nordkapp in June - 4500 miles ago - is this excessive?

Snap! As it was a beautiful morning, sun shining & birds singing etc, I thought I'd make the camper blink and give it a wash.

I assembled all the equipment and then it persisted down with rain !

As I'm made of stern stuff, I donned waterproofs and finished the job.

My apologies to all those living in the south east for being the cause of the presipitation.

PS Bring back Bob-a-Job week I say.

Guest Tracker

Four flippin' pounds and 99 bloomin' pence for a bottle of detergent - you cannot be serious Kelvyn!

I use Tesco's value or Lidl's 'el cheapo' washing up liquid and the last bottle cost me all of 15p!

If it's good enough for me BMW and me Jag it's bloomin' well good enough for me Fiat too!

If only it would rain a bit more I wouldn't have to bother at all!

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2008-09-03 8:00 PM

Ooops I thought you needed some sx advice, Rich :$ :$

Not now Janine - I was open to offers -but that was then!

kelly58 - 2008-09-03 7:26 PM I wash mine when its dirty and always use Turtle Wash Wax Shampoo at the moment Halfords have 5ltr of the wash/Wax on offer at £4.99 well worth the money.

Carry on using your wax Kelly. Penny pinchers who use washing up liquid are filling the nooks and crannies of their vehicles with salt, which is a very active ingredient of all washing-up liquids. You are cleaning your motorhome safely and adding a coat of wax at the same time.

Check this out: http://tinyurl.com/5mqgst

Sorry, I refuse to let "Roxie" become a spoilt brat, even if she is my first ever brand new vehicle. (Anyway, that should read WAS - "08" is SO last season now, isn't it? And I've put over 9k miles on the clock already!)

So it's a hosepipe and whatever washing up liquid we've got in the kitchen. I always make sure I rinse it off well though, and I've got this excellent sponge with tentacles that I bought off a girl who was selling door-to-door.

Tony

(PS No Janine, I said TENTACLES)

Guest JudgeMental
Been back from Italy about a month.... have cleaned out the interior but not the exterior. I use "Fenwicks"motorhome cleaner its absoloutly marvelous :-D

GypsyTom - 2008-09-03 8:15 PM
kelly58 - 2008-09-03 7:26 PM I wash mine when its dirty and always use Turtle Wash Wax Shampoo at the moment Halfords have 5ltr of the wash/Wax on offer at £4.99 well worth the money.

Carry on using your wax Kelly. Penny pinchers who use washing up liquid are filling the nooks and crannies of their vehicles with salt, which is a very active ingredient of all washing-up liquids. You are cleaning your motorhome safely and adding a coat of wax at the same time.

Check this out: http://tinyurl.com/5mqgst

Gipsy Tom, thanks for that link salt in washing up liquid was something I had never thought of, and the fact that it can spoil the wax on the paintwork, back to Fenwicks. thanks Carol.

Guest Tracker

On the subject of car washes, the best wheel cleaner in my view is Flash liquid!

It really shifts the black brake dust much better than wul and is much cheaper than so called 'wheel cleaners'.

And if you get an 'own label' substitute it is even cheaper and just as effective!

Guest Tracker
ROON - 2008-09-04 12:19 PM

Tracker!!! This from the man who says he won't drive slowly to save fuel and emissions in a BMW etc..... ;-)

How am I gonna wind folks up if you let the cat outta the bag?

You should polish the van every two weeks, and washes with a wash wax cleaner should not effect the polish. Harsher detergents will. Keeping the van waxed every two weeks (is how long a good wax coat lasts) will stop it dulling, stops ingrained stains and dirt and makes washing easier as the dirt wont attch itself so well. You will also benefit on trade in too! The van will be shinier, more resilient to scratches and bird lime, and will generally fetch a few grand more!

Guest Tracker

A dash of Flash liquid in the screenwash really shifts road oil and the slimy smeary traffic film far better than ordinary screenwash.

Use it in addition to winter screenwash in very cold climes 'thou as it has no frost resistance - bit like me!

Guest Tracker

Oh YES YES YES PLEASE Ria!

You certainly know the way to a man's heart - I just love home made apple pie - especially with puff pastry and not that dry old short crust pastry!

It then just needs a dash of real cream or vanilla ice cream to make the perfect sweetie - which is what any gal honouring me with this dish would also be - a perfect sweetie that is not an apple pie!

Archived