How a small business grew and grew.......

Bulletguy

Johnson must have been aware this would happen, but did it anyway so he could become PM.

Making things we can sell abroad is hard, knocking things down is easy.

He can't build anything like the guy in the movie, only knock things down and ruin what others have built.

The Irish PM summed him up when he said Boris Johnson would set the country on fire if his hands were cold.

Gremlin - 2022-01-21 9:51 AM

Of course - it has to be Brexit.

It couldn’t possibly be anything else!

Drop in footfall due to the pandemic?

Old fashioned product?

Product no longer “needed” if not going out or WFH?

Possible lake of online shopping options?

Lack of marketing initiative?

Inappropriate business model?

Old fashioned management?

Inability to change?

You lot will probably see yourselves in some of these - certainly the last two.

There are literally thousands of stories just like that one. Funny that they all started to suffer when we left the EU. It might just be related to Brexit you know. I bet it is. *-)

Gremlin - 2022-01-21 1:20 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-21 12:32 PM

Old fashioned product?

Inability to change?

There are literally thousands of stories just like that one. Funny that they all started to suffer when we left the EU. It might just be related to Brexit you know. I bet it is. *-)

Careful what you bet on when you try to re-write history. Especially if you are determined to make out that the entire set of ills that beset anyone anywhere HAS to be due to Brexit because without that “conclusion” you life has little or no meaning.

So you ignore that fact that for decades footfall in our High Streets has been falling.

Just one example - Woolworths - a failed Hight St presence - but it failed well before Brexit and it failed due to pretty much everyone of the items I list in my previous post.

I would also have a bet - I would bet that if you developed a boil on your behind you would have a good think on how to blame your misfortune on the Referendum and Brexit.

And I would probably win.

Im not ignoring anything. We all know the high street has suffered from lack of footfall and if they haven't gone online then they are stuffed. That I agree is nothing to do with Brexit although you could argue that it could be down the line as the supply chain suffers. There are however thousands of businesses and business sectors that are suffering badly like the one in the video totally because of the consequences of Brexit from Automotive to fishermen right through to small businesses selling Gin. If you were selling small small value produce and your biggest market place or even just a chunk of it was within the EU you are now basically stuffed.

This is a year old but still valid. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/17/shock-brexit-charges-are-hurting-us-say-small-british-businesses

Who are the winners from this act of self harm? I keep asking this question but the only benefactor Ive seen so far is Boris Johnson and look how thats worked out for us.

8-)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2022-01-21 3:16 PM

Old fashioned product?

Inability to change?

Careful what you bet on when you try to re-write history. Especially if you are determined to make out that the entire set of ills that beset anyone anywhere HAS to be due to Brexit because without that “conclusion” you life has little or no meaning.

So you ignore that fact that for decades footfall in our High Streets has been falling.

Just one example - Woolworths - a failed Hight St presence - but it failed well before Brexit and it failed due to pretty much everyone of the items I list in my previous post.

I would also have a bet - I would bet that if you developed a boil on your behind you would have a good think on how to blame your misfortune on the Referendum and Brexit.

Im not ignoring anything. We all know the high street has suffered from lack of footfall and if they haven't gone online then they are stuffed. That I agree is nothing to do with Brexit although you could argue that it could be down the line as the supply chain suffers. There are however thousands of businesses and business sectors that are suffering badly like the one in the video totally because of the consequences of Brexit from Automotive to fishermen right through to small businesses selling Gin. If you were selling small small value produce and your biggest market place or even just a chunk of it was within the EU you are now basically stuffed.

This is a year old but still valid. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/17/shock-brexit-charges-are-hurting-us-say-small-british-businesses

Who are the winners from this act of self harm? I keep asking this question but the only benefactor Ive seen so far is Boris Johnson and look how thats worked out for us.

8-)

Typical selfish Remoaners........They think the 95% of businesses that don't trade with the EU should have to put up with EU red tape and costs just for them *-) ..........

What's stopping them from sodding off to the EU? >:-) .........

Gremlin - 2022-01-21 3:28 PM

Old fashioned product?

Inability to change?

8-)

If you have not sought to do two things - then yes - you are stuffed.

a) Set up a European subsidiary - loads of businesses have done this.

b) have a business plan in place as soon as possible after it was known Brexit was real and happening - and open up new markets for your goods and services in that big wide world where we now have the freedom to trade.

Failure to plan - is a plan to fail.

You strike me as someone always looking for an excuse for your failure.

Some of us thrive on change and new opportunities - but sadly others are scared witless by change because they lack the smarts to deal with it.

You are starting to sound like Pelmet now. "Excuse for your failure"? Do you and Dave have access to my portfolio or something and its all gone tits up and nobody told me? (lol)

I agree that failure to plan is a plan to fail but if you remember business was crying out for certainty and Johnson let the whole thing drag on until the 11th hour with a last minute fudged deal. Nobody could plan!! that was their whole argument and setting up European subsidiaries in Europe is not really practical for many small businesses which if you remember are the backbone of our economy and it wont help fishermen or sheep farmers.

You dont need to talk about thriving on change and opportunities. Im a successful businessman and entrepreneur. I know all about grasping opportunities thanks which is why I was able to retire and go off motorhoming for ten years when I was 42. I always had a plan though and did the research and if the research and plan looked terrible I wouldn't go ahead with it. There was no plan for Brexit and there still isnt.

b) have a business plan in place as soon as possible after it was known Brexit was real and happening - and open up new markets for your goods and services in that big wide world where we now have the freedom to trade.

Some of us thrive on change and new opportunities - but sadly others are scared witless by change because they lack the smarts to deal with it.

You should have told M&S they could do that to keep their foreign stores open *-)

Yes of course its still possible to export.

But the extra costs and delays of Brexit - described in the clip - have made it uneconomic for many.

A business needs to make a profit.

Its very simple

Why do you find that so difficult to grasp.

- unless you are a career politician like Johnson who has never had the need to make a profit and pay trheir own way -

can just keep taxing borrowing and wasting -

Never built anything and only good for knocking things down?

Old fashioned product?

Inability to change?

8-)

Let me guess you once read a Tom Peters book and are now a expert in business?

A few questions:

1. What is the threshold that a small business should set up a "a European subsidiary"?

2. What costs are associated with such an approach?

3. If the UK and EU have different standards are you to develop different models for different markets? Do I need to double my R&D spend to make too models.

4. If there are 450M consumers in one market and 68M would it not be better to just have a "UK subsidiary" of your EU company - thats what a lot of companies are doing.

A business plan you say once you knew Brexit was happening? A few more questions:

1. In 2016 what sort of trading relationship should I expect with my largest nearby market? The Leavers said "nobody is talking about leaving the Customs Union" should I plan on that basis?

2. In 2019 people were suggesting a "no deal" Brexit - should that be the basis of my plan?

3. Should I have waited until Johnsons oven ready deal was signed in December 2019? Because if I had I would need to change it now, because the terms of that deal are being changed.

We should " open up new markets for your goods and services in that big wide world where we now have the freedom to trade." Given that 97% of the UK's "new trade deals are a simple roll over of the EU trade deals, do you not think that if the cost to enter those markets was viable, companies would not have already plugged that gap?

I wonder how these people voted in the referendum? :-S

Hartington is in the Peak District and very much a farming community, in fact the cheese makers site is a dairy farm.

One of the few dairies allowed to make Stilton said it has lost 20% of its online turnover ‘overnight’ due to Brexit.

Hartington Creamery at Pikehall, Derbyshire, has said that the paperwork needed to send orders to the European Union was too expensive to make business with the EU viable.

Simon Spurrell, the director of Hartington Creamery, said each parcel, pallet or container of Stilton required a veterinary surgeon certificate costing £180 per destination while each order costs only £30, which he said meant there was “absolutely no way” the dairy could continue with their online sales to the EU.

https://tinyurl.com/zd9z2m9k

Dairy exports to the EU in particular have taken a battering with trade literally dropping off a cliff. The Food and Drink Federation (FDF) showed milk and cream exports to the EU fell by 97% compared with a year earlier, with just £900,000 worth of product exported, compared with more than £24m in February 2020.

https://tinyurl.com/4yhwp5wu

• 2 months later...
Guest Oreganus
For your business to be successful, you have to work hard. Moreover, you have to choose an activity that the community needs. You must develop a unique product that customers will like. Moreover, uniqueness will help you effectively promote your product and beat the competition. It is also very important to get a license to operate. On this website (Spam link deleted) you can learn a little more about licenses. If you work without a license, you risk going to jail.

Actually Mods, please do not delete this thread as its still a very valid one.

These last two weeks I have been trying to order various parts and bits for motorcycles. All of which have to come from mainland Europe. Absolute nightmare. Three to four weeks lead time every dealer tells me and several said because of Brexit. Someone in Germany is posting a parcel to me. She informed me that it was an absolute nightmare with all the customs red tape which she never used to have to deal with. It got despatched yesterday. Normally I would expect it by Friday (tomorrow) so lets see how long that takes.

Ive had to order a second hand wheel for one of my bikes off Ebay due to nobody being able to get a new one from Italy for at least three or four weeks if not longer. Of course imagine the nightmare if you have to send something back! I bought a brand new scooter for the motorhome a couple of weeks ago. I literally (and this was confirmed by Honda) got the only brand new Honda Vision in stock in the colour I wanted in the UK. THE ONLY ONE!! Otherwise a waiting list for May to July. Oh and it cost me £500 more than it would have before Brexit. Don't get me started on IT stuff. Its all imported into the UK via Europe and out through Rotterdam which is now a total bottle neck.

Brexit is not totally to blame of course but as there are low stocks and availability on many things from computers to bicycle's to motorbikes if a lot of the distribution is via Holland or wherever in mainland Europe the UK where there is now loads of red tape, delays and extra costs are going to be at the back of the queue. Well we are, clearly.

Archived