How do I do that ?

martin r c

Guest caraprof
martin r c - 2007-07-29 5:30 PM Can someone tell me how to insert a section of someones post into a reply Comes out in a white box with those quote marks on it with a blue dotted surround. Thanks. Martin

Like this Martin?

If you look at the bottom right of a post you'll see that you're give a choice of either 'Quote' or 'Reply'.

Hit 'Reply' and it starts a blank reply, hit 'Quote' and it starts a new reply with the original post in the little box that you mention.

Give it a whirl - reply to me now!

PS You can also edit a post if you spot an error that you've made or want to add something, but beware, you can only edit for thirty minutes after you've posted and after that it's a case of 'The moving finger writes and having writ, moves on.........' as Omar Kayam once said!

caraprof - 2007-07-29 5:37 PM
martin r c - 2007-07-29 5:30 PM Can someone tell me how to insert a section of someones post into a reply Comes out in a white box with those quote marks on it with a blue dotted surround. Thanks. Martin

Like this Martin?

If you look at the bottom right of a post you'll see that you're give a choice of either 'Quote' or 'Reply'.

Hit 'Reply' and it starts a blank reply, hit 'Quote' and it starts a new reply with the original post in the little box that you mention.

Give it a whirl - reply to me now!

PS You can also edit a post if you spot an error that you've made or want to add something, but beware, you can only edit for thirty minutes after you've posted and after that it's a case of 'The moving finger writes and having writ, moves on.........' as Omar Kayam once said!

Oh yesThanksmartin

J9withdogs - 2007-07-31 8:05 AM
W3526602 - 2007-07-31 6:12 AM
dshague - 2007-07-30 8:49 PM thats how you Lets see if it works, cos everthing is still white at the moment. 602
I've found that - sometimes you can't seperate your quote from your message *-)

Me thinks this happens when you've hit the quote button and there is more than just the original quote, so people can see what the thread is, and who is quoting which bit within the thread, as if you just put a reply in it looks like a general response to the thread and not a specific set of quotes.

Well that's the Thai way of explaining it anyway!!

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-07-31 10:17 AM
dshague - 2007-07-30 8:49 PM thats how you Lets see if it works, cos everthing is still white at the moment. 602

Me thinks this happens when you've hit the quote button and there is more than just the original quote, so people can see what the thread is, and who is quoting which bit within the thread, as if you just put a reply in it looks like a general response to the thread and not a specific set of quotes.

Thai

Wise man speaks truth (lol)

J9withdogs - 2007-07-31 11:30 AM
Thai Bry - 2007-07-31 10:17 AM

Thai

Wise man speaks truth (lol)
To be sure, you need to put [ / QUOTE ] without the spaces at the end of the quote and they reply below this, this should make sure you're below the last bit of the quote at the bottom of the quote you are ... quoting!

Also, if you want to quote and reply to it in sections, again put the [ / QUOTE ] without the spaces, and then when you've inserted your bit put in [ QUOTE ], again without the spaces to continue with the original quote ... clear as mud eh! :$

For those who are wondering why I'm not typing it without the spaces in the first place .. if I did it would quote the bit that I'm quoting!!!! 8-)

Im an expert now( no not really)

I found ,that if you put your cursor thingy againt the last line of the quote and press enter a couple of times,then write your bit. it magicly appears below the quote. clever these computer bods.

Thanks to caraprof for pointing me in the right direction

No stopping me now (!) (!) (!)

Martin

Mel B - 2007-07-31 8:57 PM Also, if you want to quote and reply to it in sections, again put the [ / QUOTE ] without the spaces, and then when you've inserted your bit put in [ QUOTE ], again without the spaces to continue with the original quote ... clear as mud eh! :$ For those who are wondering why I'm not typing it without the spaces in the first place .. if I did it would quote the bit that I'm quoting!!!! 8-)

Mel it works!!!!

I knew that if I defended the fact that you were from East Yorkshire when you were away thenI would get my rewards!!

This Thai lad living in West Yorks learns everyday

Happy Yorkshire day!!

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-08-01 11:58 AM
Mel B - 2007-07-31 8:57 PM Also, if you want to quote and reply to it in sections, again put the [ / QUOTE ] without the spaces, and then when you've inserted your bit put in [ QUOTE ], again without the spaces to continue with the original quote ... clear as mud eh! :$ For those who are wondering why I'm not typing it without the spaces in the first place .. if I did it would quote the bit that I'm quoting!!!! 8-)

Mel it works!!!!

I knew that if I defended the fact that you were from East Yorkshire when you were away thenI would get my rewards!!

Happy Yorkshire day!!

Thai

Oh (!) (!) (!) now i'm confused-so you can quote a bit of a quote (?) Is there a quota for quoting a bit of a quote (?) Confused of bournemouth AKA Martin

martin r c - 2007-08-01 4:33 PM
Thai Bry - 2007-08-01 11:58 AM

Mel it works!!!!

Happy Yorkshire day!!

Thai

Oh (!) (!) (!) now i'm confused-so you can quote a bit of a quote (?) Is there a quota for quoting a bit of a quote (?) Confused of bournemouth AKA Martin
There is a quota for quoting a quote, BUT there is not a quota for not quoting a quote

Thai

I never do anything on purpose, just give the impression that I do. It all happens by mistake you know. That way people will always make allowances for my abnormalities.

Works every time, I've been doing it for years. The expression "He gets away with murder" is a good example.Or "it's only Thai" BLESSSSS!!!

Thai

Archived