How do you chose a product ?

malc d

When you want to buy a new washing machine / fridge / camera etc ???

Do you go by looks

Recommendations from friends

One like ' next doors '

They say it's good on telly

Do you do any research ???

How do you know it's any good ?

( This sounds like I work for market research but I assure you I don't )

Guest Tracker

We work out what precisely we want the new 'thingy' to do, and then look for the best value (not the cheapest) thingy that will do the job properly - whilst relating cost, quality, ease of use and durability to the amount of use the thingy is likely to get.

In other words, occasional use thingys can afford to be of a lesser perceived quality that daily use thingys where durability and efficiency are paramount.

Having then made our choice we find we could have got our shiny new thingy cheaper elsewhere, had we only looked just that little bit further!

price comparisions, and if it suits your needs. depends on what product as regards to looks, ie a tv or a new phone needs to look modern, but a washing machine well not sure i need to keep up with the jones with the most up to date washer or dryer.

We never now troop round the shops like we used to.

We just google the best deal and then either order on line and go and pick it up or get it delivered.

The savings are good and you do not have a pimply faced squirt trying to recommend a crappy 5 year warranty that costs as much as the ruddy item you are buying and when it come to being any good as a warranty is about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

We buy mid range and if whatever it is lasts more than five years we count ourselves lucky.

Our last dishwasher lasted 11 years and for the last few years was just not cleaning (glasses in particular) at all well, tho' it seemed to actually run thro its cycle perfectly well.

We paid a third what we did eleven years ago for a good mid range item and the difference in performance is stunning.

We wonder how we put up with the old one for so long.

So I realise it is more wasteful but my advise is do not bother with extended warranties, save the money for a new machine when the one you have breaks.

Having an old machine fixed is often a false economy when it comes to white goods in our experience.

Tony remarked in a recent thread that his new van would be in "moondust silver", at least I think that was the colour. Names such as Starburst, Starspirit and Starblazer from the Autocruise range come to mind, and i,m wondering if having such exotic names actually help sell these vans. Obviously more to it than that, but maybe, deep down in the sub-concience, it does swing the balance between similar models, or are we all to smart for that sort of admans blurb.

I suppose I was really thinking about brands / models of similar items, and how people decide which one to go for.

My main source of info is usually the Consumers Association.

They thoroughly test all sorts of things and, sometimes together with surveys from owners, come up with a list of ' best buys' which influence my choice.

(I then look for good deals).

I don't know of any other independent source for product testing information.

This wouldn't work for something as complex as a motorhome because there are so many different configurations, so there is no such thing as 'best'.

Generally look closely at the tech spec of the products, then use internet price comparisons, and also websites where actual owners have reviewed and rated the items.

Occasionally swayed also by friends who have bought and find the product brilliant (or rubbish!)

Usually don't go for big name brands , but for the cheaper "lookalikes" - especially with black goods (electronicky stuff).

I know from personal experience that very many of these are all now made in the Far East on the very same production lines, using all the same components, and simply badged-and-boxed differently for different European Brandname Companies, who are in reality now just wholesalers (who despite the consumers beliefs to the contrary, no longer actually manufacture any of "their" products themselves.)

Warranty, and legal recourse, is exactly the same.

Never ever buy the pushy-shop-assistants Extended Warranty option. I know the BIG profits retailers make selling these (essentially 3rd party-backed insurance policies) and I just ain't interested.

Wherever possible we buy via internet now, the savings really can be VERY substantial - often after having gone into shops to have a look at/play with, the brands on our shortlist to check out which is our final choice.

Also on occasions buy new or secondhand on ebay - often from the USA now that the dollar is so wonderfully weak against the euro.

Howie, absolutely everything in any advert or product name is aimed precisely at the customer they are targetting. Companies spend millions on promotion and advertising and it works!

Did you know that the number plates on a car in an advert on the telly are formed to make a subliminal message to your brain, for example the number U181 is a favourite for a "passing shot" as the vehicle swooshes across the screen. The way a car is photographed with the light on the curves on the bodywork also suggest to the sub concious a woman body shape. And in any advert aimed at men there will be a subliminal shape of a womans boobs!

Honestly it's true Have a look next time the ads are on. It makes watching them more interesting than the product itself!

The reason numbers like U181 are used on number plates in adverts is because they can be reversed. Therefore the manufacturer only has to make one advert for all of Europe as they simply switch the image right-left for Uk viewers ;-)

As for how do I choose any given product, well first of all I have to decide what features I must have, what features I'd like and what features I can live without. Then, using the internet mainly, I research the various brands of the product to see which ones give me the most features on the above lists at the best price.

Then I ususally go out and buy one from Aldi :D

D.

Having worked out : Does it do what I want it to do ? Where can I get the best deal ? etc it is still difficult to find out if it's any good.

Reviews in magazines and the media can always be influenced by the need for advertising revenue so one of the benefits of the internet and forums like this - you can find out what other peoples experiences are to help your decision.

This can apply to services as well as goods.

malc d - 2007-11-26 3:26 PM When you want to buy a new washing machine / fridge / camera etc ??? Do you go by looks Recommendations from friends One like ' next doors ' They say it's good on telly Do you do any research ??? How do you know it's any good ? ( This sounds like I work for market research but I assure you I don't )

I generally use sites similar to the attached to compare quality, performance and price.

Buy on-line more often than not and never ever bother with extended warranty.

http://www.cnet.co.uk/

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/

Archived