How many Days?

BGD

BGD - 2007-11-25 12:57 AM

Just so Tony doesn't completely forget..........how many days is it now 'till he gets his new MH????

Oh bu**er, did I remind him???

Unless his identity has been pinched - in which case it might get delivered to someone else.

No money left Mel - your treat???

But ... it'll have the awning, shower-screen, Gaslow & a towbar.

And it comes AS STANDARD with fully-loaded cab: aircon, 6CD/radio with controls on steering wheel, "rain-sensitive wipers" (WHAT??), heated windscreen, foglights (aka Essex Headllights), elec & heated mirrors ...

Aren't Fords wonderful? But then you're a member of DAFTIES too, aren't you?

Tony x

(Devotees and Afficionados of Ford Transits in Every Shape)

I might just have let it slip at sometime Tomo.

We're after a truly "multi-purpose vehicle," which will be our main "car" as well as able to cope up to 3 weeks at a time on the Continent (longer come retirement of course!).

So ...

smallest possible outside dimensions (to negotiate narrow lanes and park anywhere that doesn't have a height restriction)

cab air-con

belted travel for 4 in "car" mode

shower

double bed, long enough for me (I'm 6'1", so that means a lengthways one!)

no less than 3 burners, +grill (oven pref)

easy access

refillable gas system

- and a few other minor preferences.

Very few van convs have a long enough double bed AND two rear seats - most either have a lengthways sofa and one seat, a pair of singles with no double option, or a transverse double that's too short.

The machine that finally ticked all our boxes was the Horizons Unlimited Cavarno 2, from Roy Wood Transits. Here it is, but ours will be in silver:

http://www.horizons-unlimited.co.uk/cavarno2/

But I'm a Ford fan anyway - have been since my first Anglia in 1972!

Tony

Nice van Tony! The main reason we have gone for the Bessacarr is for the fixed bed, because "my back" can't handle wrestling with making and unmaking a "lounge" bed every day. That and there is more storage than on our Avantgarde and we are hoping to do some long European touring over the next couple of years.

We too like the idea of visiting and exploring areas and couldn't see how an A class or large van would fit into that, so this seemed the best compromise.

Good luck with your new toy and I hope all goes well on "pick up day"!

Addition to last message!

I have been informed by the management to point out that the final decision on the Bessacarr rested on the "nice harmonious colour of the wood" on the furnishings. Something that I, in my niavety did not think to include when looking at various models I put forward.

Sorry (!)

Hey Tony

"rain sensitive wipers" ... sounds like summut Woody Allen would know about ... as you drive around in the UK on a dark and drizzly day I can just hear the wipers saying "oooo, rain, oooo I don't like that, I need to have a lie down and see my therapist!" (lol)

That's what worries me - I've never heard of them before.

But since we're "rain-sensitive people" I think we should get along with them OK.

Did I mention it'll also have "Essex Headlights" (aka foglights)?

Of course, these are compulsory around here in anything other than brilliant sunshine - and real Essex Boys don't even turn them off then!

I think there's some cultural significance to them:

maybe "brightest lights = biggest ***** ?"

T x

Guest Tracker

I've had rain sensitive wipers on BMWs and Jags in the past, and on my Toyota now, and whilst - like automatic dark sensing lights - they do work pretty well they are, in my view, a bit of a gimmick.

They are very good though when it is mizzling - (misty drizzle) - or patchy light rain and/or spray as they clear the screen without scratching and only when needed without having to fiddle with the intermittent wiper switch.

Sparkle - 2007-11-29 11:12 PM

Tony - are you planning on having a party to welcome it into the forum?

OK - is there a big show on anywhere in the middle of March that we could all "pitch up" at?

Or maybe someone knows a friendly farmer who'd let us all get together on his field for a couple of nights?

Mel B - 2007-12-02 6:04 PM

Hi Tony ... how's the waiting game? :D

No problem Mel, "patience" is listed in the Bible (Galatians 5:22-23) as one of the "fruits of the Spirit" (- that's the HOLY Spirit, with capital S, not the bottled sort).

So OF COURSE I've got it by the bucket-load .... I wish!

T x

Archived