How many phone calls do you get in a day

michele

Lets see

Sky satellelite TV always want to sell me something

EOn is that how you spell it want to know yesterday & today if we are interested in boiler repairs

Loans for you would like to know if I want money

always get a least two a day of them really weird this is a public announcement the world is doomed jobbies.

I seriously am getting fed up of it all .

so what about you or is it just essex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI I feel it coming on

You should have call preference services on your phone system but the odd call still filters through I just say hold on a moment \i will get my dad and then just leave the phone off the hook until they get fed up waiting and they then hang up they are the ones paying for the call.

Guest Tracker

Ex directory, mailing and telephoning preference service opt outs means we get very little unsolicited calls or mail.

If we do get a phone call a tirade of polite but firm and insistent complaint to the operative about it being an unlisted number and the need to keep it clear for emergency use generally gets rid of them and stops them trying again before they even start their patter. All unwanted mail goes back in either their own envelope or and unstamped ordinary envelope for which Royal Mail will greedily charge them the postage due plus a £1 'handling fee'.

Sorted!

michele - 2008-11-06 2:12 PM

Lets see

Sky satellelite TV always want to sell me something

EOn is that how you spell it want to know yesterday & today if we are interested in boiler repairs

Loans for you would like to know if I want money

always get a least two a day of them really weird this is a public announcement the world is doomed jobbies.

I seriously am getting fed up of it all .

Hi Michele,

You should register with the Telephone Preference Service http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

John.

so what about you or is it just essex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI I feel it coming on

Would you beleive me if i told you that i did register but fat lot of good that has done,

With hubby a cop i never give it out x directory but how does that stop them getting hold of these sellable list with your name and data on ...I have just put down the phone to another whom wanted my daughter because she is registetred on some website . The cheeky cow when told she wasnt here even asked me to do the survey .

Really have had enough

Guest Tracker
michele - 2008-11-06 3:39 PM

Would you beleive me if i told you that i did register but fat lot of good that has done,

With hubby a cop i never give it out x directory but how does that stop them getting hold of these sellable list with your name and data on ...I have just put down the phone to another whom wanted my daughter because she is registetred on some website . The cheeky cow when told she wasnt here even asked me to do the survey .

Really have had enough

Getting BT to give you a new phone number is one option - but that means telling all your friends and family - which can be a chore - but at least the bad guys won't know as long as you get it registered as soon as you know the number?

omidknight - 2008-11-06 6:11 PM

hardly any

ex-directory and mail preference

Plus believe it or not no friends or family have our number

(although if J9 or Michele want my number I will give it to them)

Rob what have I done to upset you :-(

Even though we have mail prefernce calls are beginning to get though very very annoying. Carol.

omidknight - 2008-11-06 6:11 PM

hardly any

ex-directory and mail preference

Plus believe it or not no friends or family have our number

(although if J9 or Michele want my number I will give it to them)

...and what would you like me to do with your number?? *-) :D

Michele ... you don't want to know the answer do you girl! :-S

He probably doesn't wear them anyway! 8-) (lol) ;-)

Ah-hem, back to the plot ..... :D

I've just registered my Mum for the mail preference service as she keeps getting bombarded with loads of charity stuff, she was just about to send back the unsolicited raffle tickets for an animal charity until I snaffled them off her! She seems to think if you send the back they'll take you off their mailing list ... some hope! All it does is waste even more of their money.

So sorry Carol and the other ladies – let me explain if I can.

I felt that I could just about manage J9 and Michele on the telephone (if they are any good at balancing)

As for nicks….well, I have a few souvenirs and yes they are quite handy to wear as they have more than three and less than five.

TPS does work but cannot prevent the computer generated calls as these do not use a phone book etc but just runs through a program putting numbers together and then dialling them.

What works for us is an answering machine. Get one with the facility to listen to the call as it happens and if you want to pick up you can. If you do give out your number for good reason then just make sure that the caller knows to speak when the machine comes on otherwise they won't get an answer.

Another technique is to answer the call with 'hello', no number, no name. When they ask to speak to a member of the family just ask who is calling and if they don't give a company name ask who they are representing.

Then you can say something along the lines of - ah you want the previous tenants. We've been getting a number of these calls since we moved in. With luck they will offer to take your number off the list. It takes a while but it does cut down those who either don't sign-up to TPS or who call from abroad.

;-)

What concerns me is how these people get the information that is specific to only you. Crocked my knee some years ago and the only ones involved were the hospital, but ever since have been bombarded with adverts for knee supports etc. and cure all ointments for aching joints and muscles.

Same applied when I recieved a large lump sum on retirement when for months after I was inundated with 'financial' services from all and sundry. Such information is easily available I suppose but would have thought hospital treatment would still have at least been confidential to some degree.

Whatever you buy is logged and stored somewhere, that info is sold on and used to try and sell you something that they think you may be interested in. I dont mind unsolicited mail coming in because I can read it at my leisure and there are times when I have spotted something of interest to me, the unwanted mail then ends up fuelling my multifuel fire in my workshop. I do object to phone calls and people who knock on the door I consider that to be an invasion of my privacy, a mouthful of French puts off the phone pests.

The other week I was doing a job on the stair landing, my wife answered a knock at the door, I heard her saying no thank you, after hearing her saying a series of no thank you, we are happy with what we have, I lost my patience and flew down the stairs to confront a young guy and woman on the doorstep, they were trying to sell us Sky products which we dont need or require, I said to this guy are you ******* deaf or daft? now **** off, if they dont take no for an answer they deserve all they get.

Had a phone call at work the other day that went something like this:

Caller "Hello, is that a residential or commercial property?"

Me "Well you phoned me so you should know"

Caller "Pardon?"

Me "You called me, you do know who you intended to call don't you?"

Caller "Erm, well, erm........................................."

Me "Did you just pick this number at random or is there a specific person you wish to speak to?"

Caller "Erm, well, erm........................................."

Me (losing patience now) "Look, is there someone specific you wish to speak to?"

Caller " Erm, well, erm, yes....................is Mr....................Sandford there please?"

Me "No! There has never been a Mr Sandford on this number so please amend your records and DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN!!!"

D.

Archived