How to recognise a Chav

donna miller

This word really confuses me, how do you actually recognise a chav ?

Some fool I know reckons they are "A foul mouthed fish wife". *-)

Now I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I thought the general definition of a chav was a burberry wearing youth from Essex way,

Expert answers, greatly awaited :D

Hi Donna - I would agree with your definition - the other person's doesn't sound quite right - I was born in Billingshurst and my sons really wind me up when they tell people I was born in Billingsgate, which obviously makes me a "fish wife". I am not sure what is wrong with being a fish wife or fisherman's wife but it does come over as a bit of an insult!

Still, I would rather be mistaken for one of those than a Chav! (difficult I know for a grandmother !) :-D

Mr Wikipedia's definition of a chav is 'a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions derived from American Hip-Hop fashions and stereotypes such as gold jewellery and designer clothing combined with elements of working class British street fashion. Chavs are generally considered to have no respect for society, and to be ignorant or unintelligent'

Mmm nice *-)

J9withdogs - 2007-08-13 11:04 AM

Mr Wikipedia's definition of a chav is 'a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions derived from American Hip-Hop fashions and stereotypes such as gold jewellery and designer clothing combined with elements of working class British street fashion. Chavs are generally considered to have no respect for society, and to be ignorant or unintelligent'

Mmm nice *-)

Thank God I'm not one of them then. 8-)

"have no respect for society" - hmmmm!

Well I certainly have absolutely NO respect whatsoever for a "society" that could make "celebrity" (even a C-grade one) out of the likes of Jade Goody.

It seems to me that "our society" seems to revere ignorance, lack of education and the intellectually challenged.

God help us!

A 47 year old man has been killed for telling a group of teenagers to stop vandalising his property. Is this because the "Chav-like" attitudes of that gang are such that they saw no wrong in what they were doing?

Has anyone ever said "NO!" to them before?

Were they so incensed that this 47 year old dared to tell them NO!, that they felt they could beat him up and kill him?

Sorry guys - I am not sure what respect a Chav has for society - but I am rapidly loosing any respect I had for the rule of law, and the concept that society "respects" its law abiding members.

CliveH - 2007-08-13 1:34 PM  Sorry guys - I am not sure what respect a Chav has for society - but I am rapidly loosing any respect I had for the rule of law, and the concept that society "respects" its law abiding members.

Like to echo your thoughts on this as well Clive.

How about the poor fellow who was arrested in Manchester last week, because he discovered a burglar in his flat, who then tried to escape by jumping from the 3rd floor window ledge.

The poor - law abiding -man is now out on bail pending a full police enquiry into whole incident. Not too sure if the criminal was pushed or jumped on his own accord and broke some bones.

Thai 

Guest caraprof

You'll be pleased to hear Bry that this chap has been completely exonerated and will not face any charges.

I agree with all that's been said and there's not many as far-right as I am where law and order is concerned, but even so, the police still have to investigate when someone dies and as far as I can remember, this man was never actually charged with anything whilst the police were investigating.

Frank

Good news, maybe your not the only person who has "Far Right" views as far as Police,law and order and other things go, but this may not be the correct forum for that.

Every now and again I'll voice my opinions but only on subjects or topics that I feel or believe very strongly about.

Victor Meldrew - 2007-08-13 4:25 PM

British justice is the best in the world, anyone who disagrees is either gay, a woman or a mental.

it may well have been many years ago! i speak as a retired (1997) Police Officer who was losing his faith in British Justice even then. Furthermore I do not, even remotely, fit any three of the aforementioned catorgories!!

Regards, Mike.

Chav recognition related observations:

Travel through any major airport and even if you are travelling Club or First you still have to suffer the indignity of rubbing shoulders with chavs in the security queue. Recognition tips in this situation are :

People wearing sports attire when clearly en-route neither to nor from a gymnasium. Conversing loudly with the bulk of the words being a universally applied noun, verb and adjective beginning with "F". An overpowering, cheap scent from the females, overpowering body odour from the males. Tip - recognising these people has become much easier owing to their numbers at airports growing exponentially with the rise of the budget airlines.

Alternatively, go to any shopping centre in the afternoon (chavs don't get up 'til noon) , look for the people attired as above but also pushing multiple baby buggies and dragging screaming, feral children behind them. Commmunication between parent and offspring is largely confined to the universal noun, adjective and verb mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps, these methods are pretty much guaranteed to work.

Just an observation on the justice angle. In Blair's Benefits Britain it is only the chavs who can afford justice, coutesy of legal aid and the system being skewed very heavily in their favour And don't look to the police for help. Well-meaning and dedicated, but so hide-bound by political correctness and paperwork their cause is lost.

Bob

Guest caraprof
Usinmyknaus - 2007-08-14 8:24 AM Chav recognition related observations: Travel through any major airport and even if you are travelling Club or First you still have to suffer the indignity of rubbing shoulders with chavs in the security queue. Recognition tips in this situation are : People wearing sports attire when clearly en-route neither to nor from a gymnasium. Conversing loudly with the bulk of the words being a universally applied noun, verb and adjective beginning with "F". An overpowering, cheap scent from the females, overpowering body odour from the males. Tip - recognising these people has become much easier owing to their numbers at airports growing exponentially with the rise of the budget airlines. Alternatively, go to any shopping centre in the afternoon (chavs don't get up 'til noon) , look for the people attired as above but also pushing multiple baby buggies and dragging screaming, feral children behind them. Commmunication between parent and offspring is largely confined to the universal noun, adjective and verb mentioned earlier. Hope this helps, these methods are pretty much guaranteed to work. Just an observation on the justice angle. In Blair's Benefits Britain it is only the chavs who can afford justice, coutesy of legal aid and the system being skewed very heavily in their favour And don't look to the police for help. Well-meaning and dedicated, but so hide-bound by political correctness and paperwork their cause is lost. Bob

Actually, one of the joys of first or business-class travel is that you don't have to rub shoulders with chavs in long queues. Most airlines have separate check-in desks for first and business and then there's usually an express clearance for security.

People don't always realise that the pleasure of paying a lot more for your ticket doesn't just give you a better seat on the plane but superb services at airports.

If you arrive hot and sweaty after commuting to the airport you can pass very swiftly through check-in and security and then go into the business-class lounge where you can shower, check email and have drinks and a snack.

Completely Chav free!

Like the post Bob! and Caraprof makes some good points re flying.

But what I like best is using my caravan on adult only sites.

Never had the Chav problem of Feral children running riot until the early hours whilst the parents get p*ssed and could not care less.

Nor do we have the F - word every sentence in their shouted conversations from one side of the site to the other.

Nor do we have balls flying in all directions despite the signs saying "No Ball games near pitches"

Why is this Chav problem such a UK based issue.

Is it really down to Blairs Benefit Britain?

(?)

Yes that made me laugh - especially the PC idiot woman (I say woman because she was a woman M'lud - If she was a man I would have said "especially the PC man" - so no Politically Incorrect statements here yu'ronner!!!) who came on to say with the wringing of hands that this sort of behaviour gave out the wrong message about the poor little Chavs!

She spoke about them as tho' Chav's were some kind of sweet little animal that was close to extinction and the nasty upper classes really were going to hunt them.

Hug a hoody??? - Not me - I would rather kick them in the arse.

(lol)

Victor Meldrew - 2007-08-14 1:13 PM

peter - 2007-08-13 10:41 PM

CliveH - 2007-08-13 4:37 PM

Here speaks one of them methinks

:-)

One of what Clive? a knobhead?.

A thought provoking question Pete, albeit a little dim witted.

Not really,it's just pitched at your level Victor.

caraprof - 2007-08-14 10:23 AM
Usinmyknaus - 2007-08-14 8:24 AM Chav recognition related observations: Travel through any major airport and even if you are travelling Club or First you still have to suffer the indignity of rubbing shoulders with chavs in the security queue. Recognition tips in this situation are : People wearing sports attire when clearly en-route neither to nor from a gymnasium. Conversing loudly with the bulk of the words being a universally applied noun, verb and adjective beginning with "F". An overpowering, cheap scent from the females, overpowering body odour from the males. Tip - recognising these people has become much easier owing to their numbers at airports growing exponentially with the rise of the budget airlines. Alternatively, go to any shopping centre in the afternoon (chavs don't get up 'til noon) , look for the people attired as above but also pushing multiple baby buggies and dragging screaming, feral children behind them. Commmunication between parent and offspring is largely confined to the universal noun, adjective and verb mentioned earlier. Hope this helps, these methods are pretty much guaranteed to work. Just an observation on the justice angle. In Blair's Benefits Britain it is only the chavs who can afford justice, coutesy of legal aid and the system being skewed very heavily in their favour And don't look to the police for help. Well-meaning and dedicated, but so hide-bound by political correctness and paperwork their cause is lost. Bob

Actually, one of the joys of first or business-class travel is that you don't have to rub shoulders with chavs in long queues. Most airlines have separate check-in desks for first and business and then there's usually an express clearance for security.

People don't always realise that the pleasure of paying a lot more for your ticket doesn't just give you a better seat on the plane but superb services at airports.

If you arrive hot and sweaty after commuting to the airport you can pass very swiftly through check-in and security and then go into the business-class lounge where you can shower, check email and have drinks and a snack.

Completely Chav free!

Good to hear it Caraprof. I was referring to experience of BA flights from Gatwick to Lanzarote. We had regular access to dedicated check-in and very nice lounges at both airports but the security queues were awful. Just one of the reasons we have given up flying on commercial aircraft and bought a motorhome. My memory may be faulty, but when we used to go to Nice I recall the same problem was endemic after the budget carriers muscled in on that route.Bob

Archived