I did the deed.

nightrider

knight of the road - 2008-11-22 5:48 PM

I slipped up again? and clicked when I shouldn't have.

earlier on in the week I checked out Todds of Prestons website to see what they had in stock, they had a nice VW Compass Calypso coachbuilt in, which seemed to meet my requirements subject to inspection.

I had phoned them to let them know I was on my way up, the salesman met me at the door, within ten minutes a part ex and cash deal was sorted, will pick it up a week on monday, got an excellent price for my van, more than I expected so I am now in the exalted coachbuilt class, having a coachie will open up a lot more avenues.

Ended the day at Lytham St Annes and bought the wife a rather expensive pair of boots for her birthday, so all in all an exciting day out.

Good for you Malcolm!

Congrats.......go forth and enjoy it in the weeks/months/years to come.

(Seems a damn fair deal to me that you managed to negotiate..........she gets a pair of boots and you get to buy a coachbuilt Motorhome.) :-D

davenewell@home - 2008-11-22 8:48 PM

Just ten minutes to check it all over and thoroughly inspect it plus a road test?? My goodness you are a quick worker!!

Or did you just sign the deal at first sight without checking the 'van over??

D.

Instinct coupled with a sixth sense has never let me down in all my life, never made a bad deal yet, apart from that, the vehicle will be taken for a test drive before final completion. This is the third vehicle bought from Todds who I might add are a very reputable company and are not your usual run of the mill back street operator, and apart from that there is a 12 month warranty on the vehicle itself and also on the habitation side of it. Apart from a visual inspection what more can you do? take the engine to pieces? at 12000 miles it is not a scrapper is it? a part of my business is buying and selling where instant decisions are made, faint heart ne'er won fair lady, I am not a tyre kicker, I know what I am looking for and when I see it I go for it.

So in your opinion what would your inspection consist of?

The part ex negotiated was far in excess of what I was expecting and the cash money to change came out of my back pocket, no loans, no drawing money out of the bank what more could you want?

LordThornber - 2008-11-22 6:16 PM

Good for you Malc, I hope you are as satisfied with Todds service as we are

Martyn

Martyn,

As you know when you walk into Todds you know you are dealing with a quality outfit, the place is oozing with style and class, over the Christmas period the wife and I get it together to plot out our next years travels, have decided to retire proper now, done 3 years over the official retirement age think I deserve a break now, this new van is a retirement present to myself.

The compass Calypso that we are getting is just the ideal size for two of us and has loads of storage space, having a 'bathroom' is a boon. The van we have part exed which was a lovely van but was too small at the end of the day, I also found using the porta-potty at night was a little too undignified for my delicate tastes.

What I need to do now is to find out more about wild camping and the shows, because of the limited space and facilities of the other van it meant we had to use camping sites, I also bought a sat-nav the other day from Aldi, took me a bit of time to figure out how to use it but it will have its advantages (another electronic gizmo to add to my collection) so any info and advice on wild camping will be welcomed.

What would my inspection consist of? Well I'd give the exterior a really good looking over for dents, scratches etc also a close inspection of the body joints and seals. Interior wise I'd check all the cupboard, bathroom and wardrobe doors opened and closed smoothly and latched properly and I'd look closely at the condition of the upholstery and fixtures and fittings. I certainly couldn't sign the deal after just ten minutes in the showroom unless I'd previously looked the vehicle over.

Having said that I hope you will be very happy with your new 'van and enjoy many, many happy days and nights away in it.

D.

davenewell@home - 2008-11-23 7:34 AM

What would my inspection consist of? Well I'd give the exterior a really good looking over for dents, scratches etc also a close inspection of the body joints and seals. Interior wise I'd check all the cupboard, bathroom and wardrobe doors opened and closed smoothly and latched properly and I'd look closely at the condition of the upholstery and fixtures and fittings. I certainly couldn't sign the deal after just ten minutes in the showroom unless I'd previously looked the vehicle over.

Having said that I hope you will be very happy with your new 'van and enjoy many, many happy days and nights away in it.

D.

Dave,

Everything you have just said was done, in my business an eye for detail is a prerequisite, bumps bangs scratches etc would be rejected out of hand, plus of course I have Hawkeye with me who misses nothing, my wife.

Well done Malcolm and here's wishing you all the best with your new van. Looked at the VW Calypso some years ago and what impressed me was the amount of living space in a relatively small van. Believe there were two positions for the caravan door, front and rear, and the one I viewed had the rear door that seemed seemed to offer a far better layout and use of space, something I often feel other manufacturers should offer.

Hello Malc & Barbara,

Congrats on your new van. Hope you have many happy times away in it.

Are you going to go abroad in it now that you are retiring? If so, you want to buy a book called Camperstop Europe which covers 16 countries with 7,000 stopovers. Most of these are free and safe with water and waste disposal etc and mostly in very nice settings. France and Germany go out of their way to make motorhomers welcome. (Not like England). You can buy this book from www.vicarious-shop.co.uk

At the moment, we are in the Algarve, Portugal and will not be back until about April. Call then if your passing and then we can have a chat. The weather here is beautiful with blue skies. Haven't seen any rain for the past 6 weeks.

Happy camping

Jean & Ray

This might not apply to the Calypso, but with so many 'as new' vans around why settle for one with faults. Other side of the coin is that it puts you in a good bargaining position, and as long as those dents and marks are just cosmetic well worth seeing what sort of discount you can get.

Well done for jumping straigh in there Malcolm. Trust your instincts - well, hers anyway :-D

knight of the road - 2008-11-22 6:02 PM

I am now in the exalted coachbuilt class, having a coachie will open up a lot more avenues.

As long as they're not too narrow :D !

Enjoy yourselves, wherever you end up.

Jean & Ray - 2008-11-23 10:56 AM

Hello Malc & Barbara,

Congrats on your new van. Hope you have many happy times away in it.

Are you going to go abroad in it now that you are retiring? If so, you want to buy a book called Camperstop Europe which covers 16 countries with 7,000 stopovers. Most of these are free and safe with water and waste disposal etc and mostly in very nice settings. France and Germany go out of their way to make motorhomers welcome. (Not like England). You can buy this book from www.vicarious-shop.co.uk

At the moment, we are in the Algarve, Portugal and will not be back until about April. Call then if your passing and then we can have a chat. The weather here is beautiful with blue skies. Haven't seen any rain for the past 6 weeks.

Happy camping

Jean & Ray

Hiya Jean and Ray,

Nice to hear from you all the way from the sunny Algarve, the weather over here is absolutely cat, wet, cold and sleet.

As you know I pass your house several times a week and always have a look to see if your van is there, if its not I say to Barbara that Ray and Jean are away on their travels again. Decided to pack up work at the end of the season and let my son and grandkid run things from now on.

See ya when you get back.

Malc.

howie - 2008-11-23 11:05 AM

This might not apply to the Calypso, but with so many 'as new' vans around why settle for one with faults. Other side of the coin is that it puts you in a good bargaining position, and as long as those dents and marks are just cosmetic well worth seeing what sort of discount you can get.

Howie,

I had the part ex figure that I wanted fixed in my head and I wasn't deperate to change, the first offer was below what I wanted so I told him if he wanted the business signed sealed and delivered within minutes he had better come up with the goods, he went to consult with a colleague and then came back with an offer £500 more than I had in my head, so that was it, a done deal.

Bumps, dents and marks however cosmetic would be off putting to me, so all in all I am a happy bunny, this has got to be my last vehicle (famous last words) having said that on the way back from Todds I happened to call into Fred Coupes nearby to check out what vans he had in stock I bought the van I use for my work from Coupes brand new it is now due for its first MOT in april so I will be buying another new one from them after Christmas.

Archived