IDS gets schooled by WTO's ex chief

Fast Pat

teflon2 - 2019-04-29 7:36 PM

Don't open this they only want your details to smother you in inane adverts. (is it a plot (?) )

What sort of conspiracy dungeon do you live in? It's a link to a credible newspaper page. There is no sign in.

Fast Pat - 2019-04-29 7:41 PM

teflon2 - 2019-04-29 7:36 PM

Don't open this they only want your details to smother you in inane adverts. (is it a plot (?) )

What sort of conspiracy dungeon do you live in? It's a link to a credible newspaper page. There is no sign in.

When I tried the link the information required was to use your information and locality for advertising you don't need to sign in they can access this information when you tap accept and without doing this I could go no further. :D

Here you go Tef.....no "plot" and no ads. Banks hasn't swamped it with Brexit ads unlike FB.

A former director of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) has made fun of Iain Duncan Smith for his “pie in the sky” Brexit plan.

Pascal Lamy, who led the body between 2005 and 2013, said customs checks would be needed between the UK and the EU if Britain left the single market and customs union as planned.

In an exchange on the BBC’s Politics Live programme on Monday, Duncan Smith argued “technology now means the idea of barriers and borders is long gone”.

The former Tory leader has said there are “alternative arrangements” to backstop that could be implemented to avoid the need for a hard border in Northern Ireland.

But Lamy dismissed the claim, emphasising his point by whirling his hand around in the air and rolling his eyes.

“I was director general of the World Trade Organisation for eight years, which has something to do with customs procedures. And this notion that exiting the internal market implies no border is pie in the sky. There is no way you can exit the internal market without a border,” he said.

Talks between the government and Labour aimed at breaking the Brexit deadlock will continue today with both parties facing internal pressures ahead of European elections.

Tories fear the May 23 poll could result in an electoral mauling for Theresa May if she has not been able to deliver the Brexit that Britons voted for almost three years ago.

Guest pelmetman

So as a net importer the queues in France maybe longer than those in the UK :D ...........

Or alternatively they'll be the same as for those goods that arrive everyday from non EU countries >:-) ........

Bulletguy - 2019-04-29 8:24 PM

Here you go Tef.....no "plot" and no ads. Banks hasn't swamped it with Brexit ads unlike FB.

A former director of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) has made fun of Iain Duncan Smith for his “pie in the sky” Brexit plan.

Pascal Lamy, who led the body between 2005 and 2013, said customs checks would be needed between the UK and the EU if Britain left the single market and customs union as planned.

In an exchange on the BBC’s Politics Live programme on Monday, Duncan Smith argued “technology now means the idea of barriers and borders is long gone”.

The former Tory leader has said there are “alternative arrangements” to backstop that could be implemented to avoid the need for a hard border in Northern Ireland.

But Lamy dismissed the claim, emphasising his point by whirling his hand around in the air and rolling his eyes.

“I was director general of the World Trade Organisation for eight years, which has something to do with customs procedures. And this notion that exiting the internal market implies no border is pie in the sky. There is no way you can exit the internal market without a border,” he said.

Talks between the government and Labour aimed at breaking the Brexit deadlock will continue today with both parties facing internal pressures ahead of European elections.

Tories fear the May 23 poll could result in an electoral mauling for Theresa May if she has not been able to deliver the Brexit that Britons voted for almost three years ago.

Thank you bullet. From how I see it Lamy is muddying the waters by not allowing for the difference between a border and an enforced border even the EU allows for borders but does not enforce them.

I'll put my hand up for overdoing it with claiming a "plot" but a better word escaped me at the time :-S *-)

jumpstart - 2019-04-30 6:39 PM

I think the alternative was an electronic as opposed to a hard boarder.. It’s not rocket science. It is doable.

Its not rocket science because rocket science is possible. If you have a working electronic solution that is totally frictionless and requires no physical border then you stand to be the richest person in the world because nobody else does. You should be beating a path to the Governments door as would anybody else be doing if they had one.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-30 10:28 PM

I think the alternative was an electronic as opposed to a hard boarder.. It’s not rocket science. It is doable.

Its not rocket science because rocket science is possible. If you have a working electronic solution that is totally frictionless and requires no physical border then you stand to be the richest person in the world because nobody else does. You should be beating a path to the Governments door as would anybody else be doing if they had one.

We have a working system ;-) ...........

It's the system used by the 165 countries that also wish to flog us stuff >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-05-01 7:16 AM

It's the system used by the 165 countries that also wish to flog us stuff >:-) .........

Who outside of the single market all have borders. *-) Your right though. We do have a very good working system thanks to us being members of the EU. Frictionless borders, free movement of people and goods, no wars between member countries since it was formed, better security. Whats not to like?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-05-01 2:45 PM

pelmetman - 2019-05-01 7:16 AM

Who outside of the single market all have borders. *-) Your right though. We do have a very good working system thanks to us being members of the EU. Frictionless borders, free movement of people and goods, no wars between member countries since it was formed, better security. Whats not to like?

Wake up Barry *-) ..........

We export less and less toooo the EU every year.......Whilst they export more and more tooooooooo Us every year.........So who's got the problem? ;-) ..........

Just askin :D .......

Archived