Immigrant or expatriate?

Guest rael

I've been viewing some recent articles, and posts here, that have used the terms 'expatriate' and 'immigrant' to describe what I see as being the same thing. For example, a British national working in Spain, Poland, Romania etc. is commonly referred to as an 'expatriate', whereas a Spanish, Polish, Romanian etc. national working in Britain is referred to as an 'immigrant' I see no difference at all, so why the different terminology?

Bulletguy - 2020-06-18 8:52 PM

It's a "Brit thing". Brits living abroad don't like being referred to as immigrants because that's for 'them foreigner types' in UK! In my opinion it's a throwback to Imperialism!

This link is an interesting read.

https://travelnoire.com/expat-vs-immigrant-whats-difference

I tend to agree, and its an intersting article, thanks. Having said this, when I was a small child we 'emigrated' to Australia for several years. I'm pretty sure we were therefore seen as being 'immigrants' by the non-indigenous Australians. Indeed we stayed at an immigration centre for a while after our arrival. I'm pretty sure the Aussies would have had a good belly laugh (quite rightly) if we'd gone around calling ourselves expats! Funny old world.

Guest pelmetman
rael - 2020-06-18 7:34 PM

I've been viewing some recent articles, and posts here, that have used the terms 'expatriate' and 'immigrant' to describe what I see as being the same thing. For example, a British national working in Spain, Poland, Romania etc. is commonly referred to as an 'expatriate', whereas a Spanish, Polish, Romanian etc. national working in Britain is referred to as an 'immigrant' I see no difference at all, so why the different terminology?

The "difference" is, the vast majority of Brits who have moved too Spain or France are retired and are net contributors to their economies.

Where as many of those who migrate to the UK from Romania, Poland etc are seeking work, much of that work is low paid meaning that many are not net contributors, but being part of the EU they are entitled to claim the full range of benefits that are unavailable to retired Expats :-| ...........

pelmetman - 2020-06-19 9:29 AM

The "difference" is, the vast majority of Brits who have moved too Spain or France are retired and are net contributors to their economies.

Where as many of those who migrate to the UK from Romania, Poland etc are seeking work, much of that work is low paid meaning that many are not net contributors, but being part of the EU they are entitled to claim the full range of benefits that are unavailable to retired Expats :-| ...........

Hmm, think you might have added your own interpretation. I'm going with the Cambridge dictionary. There is no real difference.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/immigrant

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/expatriate

Guest pelmetman
rael - 2020-06-19 8:46 AM

Hmm, think you might have added your own interpretation. I'm going with the Cambridge dictionary. There is no real difference.

Is my interpretation wrong? ;-) ..........

Are UK expats "Not" mostly retired are EU migrants "Not" mostly seeking work? :D .........

pelmetman - 2020-06-19 9:50 AM

Are UK expats "Not" mostly retired are EU migrants "Not" mostly seeking work? :D .........

Your interpretation is your own. All over the world there are thousands of British immigrants who work AND take the benefits that those countries provide, what is it you don't like about the term 'immigrant'?

Guest pelmetman
rael - 2020-06-19 8:59 AM

Your interpretation is your own. All over the world there are thousands of British immigrants who work AND take the benefits that those countries provide, what is it you don't like about the term 'immigrant'?

I haven't used the term immigrant.......I said migrant ;-) ........

You asked.........."I've been viewing some recent articles, and posts here, that have used the terms 'expatriate' and 'immigrant' to describe what I see as being the same thing."

Expats is a term long used to describe retired UK folk moving to Sunnier climes B-) .......

A migrant is a term long used to describe folk who move to another country for work :D .......

Although I suspect you knew that .........So the point you're trying to score is (?) ..........

You won't get anywhere with Dave on this rael.

If he doesn't agree with dictionary definitions, he will claim the dictionary is wrong.

I reckon that when he was at school he often got into arguments with his maths teacher about the answers to sums.

:-D

Millions actually. It has been estimated by the World Bank that between 4.5 million and 5.5 million Britons live abroad, that's around 7-8% of the UK population. To put that in context, only about 0.8% of Americans, 3% of Spanish and 2.1% of Australians are "immigrants".

The Irony being that while the UK voted to get rid of funny foreigners we have the highest rate of emigration in Europe.

rael - 2020-06-19 8:18 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-18 8:52 PM

It's a "Brit thing". Brits living abroad don't like being referred to as immigrants because that's for 'them foreigner types' in UK! In my opinion it's a throwback to Imperialism!

This link is an interesting read.

https://travelnoire.com/expat-vs-immigrant-whats-difference

I tend to agree, and its an intersting article, thanks. Having said this, when I was a small child we 'emigrated' to Australia for several years. I'm pretty sure we were therefore seen as being 'immigrants' by the non-indigenous Australians. Indeed we stayed at an immigration centre for a while after our arrival. I'm pretty sure the Aussies would have had a good belly laugh (quite rightly) if we'd gone around calling ourselves expats! Funny old world.

One of my nephews emigrated there some years back and has dual citizenship but sees himself as an 'immigrant' and doesn't like the 'expat' term. Only thing he missed when he left UK was his beloved mint condition Mini Cooper 'S' though it wasn't long before he had it shipped out.

One of my cousins daughters would qualify as 'immigrant' if she returned back to UK to live as she was born in Uganda so always seen herself as Ugandan as thats where she live with her husband and family. Both her parents are British born and came back here 35 years ago.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-06-19 12:23 PM

If he doesn't agree with dictionary definitions, he will claim the dictionary is wrong.

I reckon that when he was at school he often got into arguments with his maths teacher about the answers to sums.

Spreading fake news about me Malc? 8-) ........

I rarely got into arguments with my teachers in the last couple years of education ;-) .......

As I was rarely there for them to pick a fight :D ........

Cant say my life has suffered from the lack of brainwashing B-) ........

He associates it with skin colour, even those born here (!!), along with any folk who have a foreign accent. He sees both as 'invaders' but white British should have the freedom to park their arse wherever they like.....even inside borders of a country benefiting from EU membership he voted against.

Very true.....though did he ever go to school? I think playschool was his last form of 'education'. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-06-19 5:18 PM

Very true.....though did he ever go to school? I think playschool was his last form of 'education'. ;-)

Has my lack of schooling affected my life? ;-) .........

Nope :D ........

I bless my luck for leaving school as a idiot B-) ......

Or I could have been still working fulltime at 46 instead of semi retiring..... let alone retiring at 58 :D .........

What kinda edgermercated idiot does that work stuff when they don't need too? 8-) .........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-06-19 6:13 PM

From whose point of view........I know...I know...you’re just a naughty boy.

I was rarely naughty ;-) ........

I just knew that there was naught else they could teach me at age 15 :D .......

jumpstart - 2020-06-19 1:10 PM

I didn’t vote to get rid of foreigners, just get rid of foreign interference.

I am sure you did but to a lot of people they wanted rid of immigrants as well thanks to years of being told they were to blame for all their problems. As for foreign interference its impossible to avoid unless you really do close up all the borders and have no trade agreements with anyone. The big plan was to swap our EU membership for a deal with Donald Trump. If you think the EU was controlling wait until that buffoon gets his little mitts into us. Same with any trading bloc, even the WTO.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-19 12:30 PM

Millions actually. It has been estimated by the World Bank that between 4.5 million and 5.5 million Britons live abroad, that's around 7-8% of the UK population. To put that in context, only about 0.8% of Americans, 3% of Spanish and 2.1% of Australians are "immigrants".

The Irony being that while the UK voted to get rid of funny foreigners we have the highest rate of emigration in Europe.

You're saying 52% of those that voted in the referendum voted to get rid of "funny foreigners" ... Now after your little tantrum elsewhere today thats a big claim ... Prove it

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-06-19 6:53 PM

I am sure you did but to a lot of people they wanted rid of immigrants as well thanks to years of being told they were to blame for all their problems. As for foreign interference its impossible to avoid unless you really do close up all the borders and have no trade agreements with anyone. The big plan was to swap our EU membership for a deal with Donald Trump. If you think the EU was controlling wait until that buffoon gets his little mitts into us. Same with any trading bloc, even the WTO.

Techincal point ;-) .......

The influx from the EU were not classed as immigrants :-| .......

They are called EU citizens and "had" free access to our country and benefit system *-) .......

Not for much longer :D ......

Birdbrain - 2020-06-19 6:55 PM

You're saying 52% of those that voted in the referendum voted to get rid of "funny foreigners" ... Now after your little tantrum elsewhere today thats a big claim ... Prove it

Prove it? (lol) Just go back for four years or so and read some of your own and Pelmets threads and posts. Are you denying that immigration was not a massive factor for that 52%? Its all we had from the right wing media for years. That and stuff about Bananas etc.

pelmetman - 2020-06-19 7:00 PM

They are called EU citizens and "had" free access to our country and benefit system *-) .......

And hows that working out so far? Nobody to pick our fruit and NHS applications from Europe down 96%, Still on the plus side (for you) migration from the EU is down to its lowest level in 16 years. However unfortunately (for you) migration from None EU countries (Thats mainly Africa and Asia 8-) ) is up to the highest level since records began in 1975. Still, at least you will be able to spot them easier huh?

Barryd999 - 2020-06-20 7:13 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-19 6:55 PM

Prove it? (lol) Just go back for four years or so and read some of your own and Pelmets threads and posts. Are you denying that immigration was not a massive factor for that 52%? Its all we had from the right wing media for years. That and stuff about Bananas etc.

I never said immigration wasn't an issue ... You said "the UK voted to get rid of funny foreigners" ... That doesnt say some of the 52% voted leave because of immigration it says all and that simply is not the truth and I dont know anyone who voted to get rid off "funny foreigners"

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-06-20 7:17 AM

pelmetman - 2020-06-19 7:00 PM

And hows that working out so far? Nobody to pick our fruit and NHS applications from Europe down 96%, Still on the plus side (for you) migration from the EU is down to its lowest level in 16 years. However unfortunately (for you) migration from None EU countries (Thats mainly Africa and Asia 8-) ) is up to the highest level since records began in 1975. Still, at least you will be able to spot them easier huh?

Will those from Africa & Asia have automatic access to our NHS and benefit system? ;-) ..........

Cant say I'm having any problems getting my 5 a day :D .........

Have Greggs stopped you buying 5 pies a day? >:-) ........

Archived