Immigration policy

Bulletguy

Well this is going to be fun. (lol)

The proposed UK immigration points system - 70 points to get in, less and you're banned. Top 3 are essential, the rest top up points. Can't wait to see who will be replacing care staff, picking veg and doing all that catering and hotel work next year, you would need to be earning £25,600+ or have a PhD OR the government designates the jobs mentioned as shortage occupations.

Offer of job by approved sponsor - 20 Points (essential)

Job at appropriate skill level - 20 points (essential)

Speaks English at required level - 10 Points (essential)

Salary of £20,480 (min) - £23,039 - 0 points

Salary of £23,040 - £25,599 - 10 points

Salary of £25,600 or above - 20 points

Job in a designated shortage occupation - 20 points

Education qualification: PhD in subject relevant to job - 10 points

Education qualification: PhD in a Stem subject relevant to the job - 20 points

Even more 'fun' if EU member countries apply the same criteria to Brits like those running off to Spain setting up bacon butty and burger joints, most of which only speak errrm, English....well we are British dontcha know!! :D

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/18/uk-to-close-door-to-non-english-speakers-and-unskilled-workers

jumpstart - 2020-02-19 5:58 PM

My daughter has a degree and doesn’t earn that.

I doubt cabbage or fruit pickers do either so i don't know whose going to do that work now.

It seems not all Tories are singing from the same hymn sheet on this either.

A former Tory cabinet minister has denounced Priti Patel’s immigration plans as “the worst kind of dog-whistle politics” and warned they show the government is bent on building a “deeply unattractive” Britain outside the EU.

Another former Tory minister has attacked the immigration proposals set out by the home secretary today. The independent London mayoral candidate Rory Stewart called them “wrong” and promised to “fight these changes” if he gets to City Hall.

“They – completely unnecessarily - wrench us further away from Europe. They will deprive key services like social care, and our businesses, of the brilliant workers we welcome from abroad,” he also tweeted.

The shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth has mocked home secretary after she claimed eight million “economically-inactive” potential workers can help fill vacancies after the planned crackdown on low-skilled immigration.

“I mean she’s clearly clueless, isn’t she? Not only are these proposal hugely damaging for our economy … they’re potentially devastating for our health and care sector.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-brexit-latest-no-deal-eu-labour-leadership-immigration-dave-today-a9343511.html

Maybe there wont be any free care under the "new order" as nothing will be free. There wont be any need for cheap labour as we wont be growing or making anything.

In Singapore on Thames if your not wealthy you can fcuk off! That will be it I bet. Everything will be imported and the money will be made by being a tax haven. Just quite what all the new baby Northern Tories will do to survive I have no idea. My best advice would to start investing in hedge funds.

Barryd999 - 2020-02-19 11:24 PM

Maybe there wont be any free care under the "new order" as nothing will be free. There wont be any need for cheap labour as we wont be growing or making anything.

In Singapore on Thames if your not wealthy you can fcuk off! That will be it I bet. Everything will be imported and the money will be made by being a tax haven. Just quite what all the new baby Northern Tories will do to survive I have no idea. My best advice would to start investing in hedge funds.

This string is an interesting read;

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1230142492663779329.html

Archived