Information required (CB)

sax

Hello All,

Had a beer or two at a hotel on our local harbour with solo motor homer from Scotland this lunchtime. He advised me that a move was 'afoot' to return to the use of CB and especially Channel 3 for Motor homes. He had spotted it on one of the MH forums. As I shall be doing a solo trip to his part of the world for five weeks at the end of the summer I showed interest.

Anyone have any info?

Apparently all the old style users have lost interest long ago and moved on. Only Truckers and the odd rep active now, leaving the channels fairly clear. I have not found the forum so I look for opinions from our learned group. I expect the things are available over the Internet but have not looked yet. Never used one.

Mike

Depending on what wave band you use, CB is still in use by a few. I have AM, which is actually illegal in UK. Use for emergency services only !

However, most European truckers seem to have AM, as heard when driving around M 25. Your CB'ers will be few and far between, but when in company with another user, can be very helpful when navigating or needing to stop for fuels etc. Also takes boredome out of long journies if unaccompanied. Beats talking to yourself.

Mike

I have got an AM cb fitted to my bike and as I will be following the Motorhome and want to talk to Peg I have been advised to get a multi_channel one fitted in the Motorhome

Oh and by the way you dont need a licence for cb"s now

Hi Sax,

We allways found them a brilliant idea especially when travelling in covoy they have stopped us doing those stupid pull over the kids need the toilet handwaves .. I got mine as a child 18/19 and when it was the Cb craze .

I then purchased one locally from a guy advertising in the local rag ..

Brilliant! ;-)

sax - 2007-06-12 11:17 PM

He advised me that a move was 'afoot' to return to the use of CB and especially Channel 3 for Motor homes. He had spotted it on one of the MH forums. As I shall be doing a solo trip to his part of the world for five weeks at the end of the summer I showed interest.

Anyone have any info?

There was a thread on another forum some time ago which suggested that channel 3 be adopted as the channel for that forum's members so that they could contact each other on the road and at events/rallies. This was for usage on PMRs (rather than full-blown CB sets) as much as anything.

The promoters of the idea completely ignored the fact that channel 3 is an open channel so they couldn't claim it as their own any more than anyone else could.

We were at a re-enactment event at the beginning of May where the organisers used channel 3 to communicate with each other. I should think it would have caused all sorts of confusion if another organisation were trying to use the same channel at the same time.

Graham

Archived