Intergrated Governance

michele

My understanding is that it's the name of the ethos that the NHS Trusts use to organise their service delivery.

In other words, the name of the business operating system that the NHS should follow.

I agree that it tries too hard to sound important, but then I'm sure the well-paid bods that devised and named it felt it a suitable title.

There have been some excellent examples on Weakest Link, and I've often watched just to see how people describe their jobs.

If I remember rightly one woman described herself as a " senior reprographic technician".

She was in charge of a photocopier.

Why on earth do they do it ?

signed:

malc d

Senior Forum Participation Executive

(Post Employment Segment)

North Western European Publications Activity.

donna miller - 2007-11-06 1:10 PM There was a guy on "weakest link" last week, tried to be posh and gave his job as "logistics engineer", what was he ? A van driver 8-)

Just like the famous one on "Blind Date" many years ago.

A "vision technician" = Window Cleaner

Thai

Mate of mine was on business on the property of a very posh boat club. He was approached by one of the boat owners who very snottily asked him what his purpose there was. My mate asked him who he was to be asking in such rude terms, to which the boater replied: 

“I’m a prominent member” 

On this occasion I think the pumped-up title was very appropriate.

Corporate governance and integrated governance grew from a number of scandals in running of both public and private sector organisations in the 1980s and 1990s.

Trouble I found when I worked in local governmant was that too many people thought that the job was done when the procedures had been written - they ignored the fact that the procedures were supposed to be adhered to.

They are the sorts of measures that aren't needed if the organisation is run properly in the first place.

The terms themselves were, I believe, invented by testiculators.

Graham

crinklystarfish - 2007-11-06 4:29 PM

michele,

At its simplest I think in your medical context you can read it as:

The rules that the NHS is supposed to operate under.

That's about right.The posh term for the boss is Chief Executive.Graham

michele - 2007-11-06 5:56 PM

Its a letter I have from the NHs .

Signed ........................Intergrated Governance .....rubbish if you ask me .

Hello Michele,

I would guess that in that case "Integrated Governance" is a department or section of the NHS Trust in question. They used to be called things like Policy Unit.

Graham

Just googled this Michelle:-

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Bulletins/theweek/Chiefexecutivebulletin/DH_4095255

A quick scan and I have already lost the will to live.

Did anyone see that program about six months ago where a guy from industry went into a hospital and tried to get decisions done faster and more efficiently.

Some gems from him! - one of the best was

"External Consultants are only brought in by managers who are unable to make a decision."

CLASSIC!!!!!

The look of exasperation on his face when, having been on a committee that was unable to make a decision after 6 months, one of the managers said that real progress had been made because they had managed to decide what NOT to do.

They all looked stunned when he said that decision should have been made in 6 minutes - Not six months.

>:-( >:-( >:-(

CliveH - 2007-11-06 8:04 PM

The look of exasperation on his face when, having been on a committee that was unable to make a decision after 6 months, one of the managers said that real progress had been made because they had managed to decide what NOT to do.

I came across plenty of committees like that when I worked in local government - they would meet once a month (or whatever interval) as a matter of course.

I got into the habit of asking, when the next date was being fixed, of asking how long it would take for the agreed action points to be undertaken - or, in the absence of any agreed actions, whether it was worth meeting again. Didn't half upset some people (lol)

Graham

I expect it did Graham.

But in some ways you should not start me on Local Government. Near where I live is a footpath where there was a problem with children riding bikes fast and where another path joined there were a few accidents.

So our LG put in those large rectangular metal hoops slightly offset so that you have to slow down if you are on a bike. They put them about 10M back from where people walked out into the path of the oncoming cyclist.

Trouble was there was a large grass covered space adjacent to these metal hoop things so the cyclists just went round them.

The result was a muddy track where we used to have nice grass and still people got knocked over by cyclists.

After a while I think some one just came and pulled them out and they were not replaced.

And in our local car park, similar railings were sited all over the walkways to protect people from moving cars. Trouble was, the trolleys from the local supermarket would not go through the gap so they were all taken out again.

Oh YES!!!! - If you want to learn how to waste money - get into the NHS or Local Government. They are the true experts.

>:-( >:-( >:-( >:-(

michele - 2007-11-06 5:56 PM

Its a letter I have from the NHs .

Signed ........................Intergrated Governance .....rubbish if you ask me .

Man with his head up his ar*e. (lol)

Michele, It's all part of the con being perpetuated on us so that we think the NHS is still under public/political control. IT ISN'T!

Not one single NHS Trust has elections for the governing board. They are not accountable to anyone except themselves for the services they run. Local and national politicians as well as the public can ask, debate, demand or beg for a particular health service function but if the trust board don't want it then it aint going to happen. We can all write letters, have marches or sign petitions if it doesn't come under their "Integrated Governance" plan forget it.

All the Health Department do is sign the cheques and issue "guidance".

>:-)

Archived