Internet Security

howie

Hi. I,ve having the usual problem of renewing my subscription with Norton Security over the internet. I,ve followed their instructions on the website, and have tried to renew over the phone as well without any success yet.

I believe you can buy this type security on c.d. and simply download and install onto your computor although i,m not sure about this.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Howard.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Howard,

I use AVG for virus protection and find it superb. There's a free version if you want to try it out. I have the paid-for-one, which is very good. It automatically downloads updates at a time specified by you.

There's no messing about with CDs and although the initial download may be a longish one, updates take seconds if done regularly.

Many of my friends use the free version and seem happy with it.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

If you're looking for more, such as firewalls etc. check out Windows XP's features, which not everyone exploits fully. (If you're on XP of course!)

Thank you Frank. I want to look at all options first and up until now i,ve found Norton suits me fine and its only the renewels are causing problems.

Let me stress that what you and others may find easy, a complete cockup usually results whenever I attempt this sort of thing, and this is why the idea of buying and installing c.d. security appeals to me.

"Idiot Proof" comes to mind, but what I really need is something really simple that even I can install. Howard.

Howard, try AVG Free for a few weeks, it doesn't cost much :-D , I think you'll find it much better than your current AV.

BTW AVG also have a very good, free, AntiSpy program, it used to be known as Ewido and Grisoft bought them. IMO these 2 are so much better than most of the similar programs that have to be paid for.

Phil.

If you want to stick with Norton, check out amazon Norton Internet Security 2007 £19.97 free delivery, uninstall old one and install this, its cheaper than renewal, you can usualy do this every year cheaper than renewing, the price for your loyalty is you get ripped off.

colin - 2007-01-14 5:52 PM If you want to stick with Norton, check out amazon Norton Internet Security 2007 £19.97 free delivery, uninstall old one and install this, its cheaper than renewal, you can usualy do this every year cheaper than renewing, the price for your loyalty is you get ripped off.

Colin

Thanks for that.  Hadn't thought of Amazon.  I like NIS, it is easy to load, easy to use, updates itself, integrates well with Outlook and other MS programmes, and seems to work.  Not free, but easy.  At £19.97 it seems a steal!

The Symantec subscription renewals are more than a little cheekily priced, and you end up paying Irish VAT at around 19% as well, just to add insult to injury!  You can even buy the upgrade version of NIS for less than the subscription renewal.  Potty!

howardtcz - 2007-01-14 10:55 PM Thank you one and all for the replies, and for all the options open to me. I,ve got a few days grace so there,s time to think about your views before deciding what to do. Howard.

Howard, Where did you get the picture of my son from 8-)

Forester - 2007-01-15 8:38 AM
howardtcz - 2007-01-14 10:55 PM Thank you one and all for the replies, and for all the options open to me. I,ve got a few days grace so there,s time to think about your views before deciding what to do. Howard.

Howard, Where did you get the picture of my son from 8-)

Crimewatch Wayne.I,ve just renewed my security with Norton, and as mentioned before i,m happy with the service they provide, and its only the complicated renewal process that gives me problems. This is most probably is down to me, but once again thanks for your help, and no doubt i,ll raise this subject again in twelve months time.

Archived