Inversion tables, anyone tried one?

davenewellhome

I ask because I've just bought one. I've been suffering from sciatica again now for a couple of months and I'd heard about these inversion tables so thought I'd give one a try. I got one off E-bay yesterday at a very good price, set it up in the spare room and I've tried it a couple of times but I find it very hard on my ankles. (for anyone not sure what an inversion table is you fit your ankles into a restraint and swivel up side down to hang, the idea being to stretch the spine and relieve pressure on spinal nerves).

I just wondered if anyone else had tried one and did it help?

D.

Hello Dave.

Can,t say i,v heard of it, sounds a bit Batty to me, but i hope it helps you, let us know.

How much did it cost if you don,t mind me asking, my wife suffers from the same thing. Could be interesting, never had her tied up before

Keep Swinging

Dave :D

According to my dictionary an inversion is a layer of hot air overlaying a colder one so it may work with some women I know.

Didn't work on Copernicus, though it did make him confess.

Cruel lot on here aren't we? Seriously though I do sympathise with Dave having spent the last month in a chair with a back injury, get well soon.

Regards PKC.

pkc - 2009-06-09 2:42 PM

According to my dictionary an inversion is a layer of hot air overlaying a colder one so it may work with some women I know.

Didn't work on Copernicus, though it did make him confess.

Cruel lot on here aren't we? Seriously though I do sympathise with Dave having spent the last month in a chair with a back injury, get well soon.

Regards PKC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi pkc,

This Cop, Ernie Cus, was he with the Met or Scotland Yard

Dave

Guest peter
Hopesy - 2009-06-09 12:15 PM

Think David Carridine was doing much the same thing but thats covered in another thread. :D :D

Perhaps that's the real reason Dave's bought one. :D Does it fit in the wardrobe Dave?.

You should have known better than ask about it on here Dave, with us lot of pisstakers.

Seriously though, I do sympathise with you as it is bloody painful.

I used to have it and had a pole suspended each end with some rope that I used to hang from by my knees and it did help to take the compression off the spine. I hope it works for you. Try putting some foam round your ankles to stop it hurting.

"Try putting some foam round your ankles to stop it hurting".

Peter,

I think that is the whole point of the exercise...

Regards PKC.

That is the way of life. You give up your pleasures one by one until there is nothing left, then you know it is time to go.”

Naguib Mahfouz.

:-D

rack.jpg.3766e98de4b3ada62f7ea67f422f5e67.jpg

Oh dear, and there was I thinking I was among enlightened folks!

An inversion table is a simple device that allows you to hang upside down, suspended by the ankles. The ankle fitments are foam padded but my ankles are obviously not used to having 15 stone hanging on them. To get out of it is simple, you grab hold of the handles and pull yourself up, once over the point of balance your weight helps you turn the right way up.

Had another go on it this morning for five mins and will try it again soon. Today has been one of my better days so perhaps its working, perhaps not, time will tell and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

I got it off E-bay for £30 which was a proper bargain as its in brand new condition and I only had to go to Stoke to collect it.

D.

Dave -

Dunno if this might help your back probs but......for quite a few years I used to do weight training/workout type stuff.

One home-made device that I fitted to the wall in the garage was a "pull-ups" or "chin-ups" bar....essentially a piece of scaffolding pipe about 3 feet long clamped to two brackets which held it out from the wall by about 6 inches, above the pedestrian door into the garage.

You could grip the bar and "hoist" yourself slowly up to chin-up height, then gradually lower yourself back down....great bicep and pecs exercise.

But also very good just to sort of "dangle" from, with your feet still on the ground, and allow your back muscles/vertebrae to relax and "stretch" at the end of a session.

Cost? about a quid.

Very helpful even if only used for a minute or two a few times through the working day, as a back compression reliever.

Might be worth a shot?

Hi Dave, I'm sure you've heard 'em all by now, cures, miracles etc etc but here's what worked for me.

1st time in 2002. No time off work, some painkillers, I was much fitter then and that helps apparently, but what actually completely got shut of it was Pilates at the local Hospital.

2nd time in 2006. Hospitalised as the pain was chronic. 7 weeks off work, liquid morphine then a reduction weekly down to painkillers as the pain subsided. Better posture and generally being aware of the causes for me, one being using a Flymo, nice garden, bad back :D

Get well soon

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

Well the good news is the inversion table has worked wonders! Just five minutes or so at a time twice a day (well when I could manage twice a day) and the sciatica is very, very nearly a thing of the past, just an occasional touch of pins and needles in my right foot. Best £30 I've spent in a long time. It does take up a lot of space but for the relief its given me its worth it.

D.

Ive just seen this thread Dave, Im glad that you have found its working now. My next door neighbour in our last house had one, she was a nurse and had back probs (lifting patients I suspect) but she used to swear by hers she would come home from work just about able to get out of the car! and get straight on to her table and get relief. Her Dad bought it for her as I understood it was very expensive.

I have every sympathy with you as about three years ago I was unable to straighten my legs and laid two days on the floor with my feet propped on a dinning chair!!! ITS AGONY IVY! 8-)

Man originally walked on all fours and has had back trouble ever since he started to walk upright, therefore you can imagine the strain on his back.

A simple solution is to suspend yourself upside down on an easily home made contraption to stretch your back, it works for me everytime.

Archived