Investment

howie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

howie, you could do worse than NS&I products. They are dead safe and your capital is guaranteed by the government. Apparently the best return for money less than £30,000 is Premium Bonds. The personal maximum is 30 grand and they will give an average of 15 wins over 12 months from the basic prize of £50.00 to the maximum of £1 million! When you cash them in your money is in the bank within 1 week.

I am NOT a financial adviser but I went on a pre retirement course 18 months ago and that is what they told me was a good place for people who want no risk but a reasonable return. And the winnings are tax free too!

If you do go down this route, can I have 25% of any winnings as commission? It seems very reasonable to me!

Tomo3090 - 2007-11-22 6:49 PM

howie, you could do worse than NS&I products. They are dead safe and your capital is guaranteed by the government. Apparently the best return for money less than £30,000 is Premium Bonds. The personal maximum is 30 grand and they will give an average of 15 wins over 12 months from the basic prize of £50.00 to the maximum of £1 million! When you cash them in your money is in the bank within 1 week.

I am NOT a financial adviser but I went on a pre retirement course 18 months ago and that is what they told me was a good place for people who want no risk but a reasonable return. And the winnings are tax free too!

If you do go down this route, can I have 25% of any winnings as commission? It seems very reasonable to me!

I would be willing to go half and half if you could guarantee £1,000,000 Steve. Basic utiltity bills are now around £2,500 p.a. and with just the two pensions our savings are rapidly being depleted. Plenty of returns of 5% plus to be had, but looking for the very best deal to be had. That 5% would in reality halve this outgoing with anything else being a bonus.

michele - 2007-11-22 7:35 PM

Howie ask your wife if you can have me as your toy woman :D

And how would that help him pay his houshold bills Michele. Unless you were offering to sell your lovely voluptuous body for him. :D

Guest Tracker

I have had a decent investment in Premium Bonds for the last few years and whilst I have NEVER won more than £100 - and usually just £50 - in any one month the overall return has averaged out at about 4% pa - with no tax payable.

Not a fortune I know, but the capital is safe and instantly cashable if I see a new toy I fancy, the return is respectable, and there is always the risk free, cost free chance of winning the bigun - or even one of his less big, but still substantial, siblings!

Howie, I've had another think and I have a cunning plan for your money. We are wanting to buy a new van, a Bessacarr E560, and the trade in difference is about 20k. So this is where you come in. You give me your 25k and I buy my new van plus some extra twiddly bits, sat. dish, solar panel, etc etc. With me so far?

Then WE go off touring all round Europe in the van and we send YOU regular updates and postcards about our travels. That way WE get our new van without the time consuming saving and YOU get the warm glow of having helped a fellow motorhomer, (plus all the post cards of course).

In a year or two on our return our savings will have grown and we can then give you your 25k back, PLUS we will bring you a pressie back from our travels.

So what do you say my, (bestest) internet friend? Are we on? When can I collect my money, and can it be cash please? :-D

howie - 2007-11-22 6:25 PM Hypothetical of course, but how would you invest £25,000 in a safe haven with maximum return. Interest to be paid annually (basic rate income tax) and used on such luxuries as gas, elec, and rates etc.

Howie

You can put up to £7K per year into an ISA which is tax free, and then take your earnings from this.

You are  allowed by law to also make a "Gift".

So one of my suggestions would be to take £7K, and put this into a ISA, "gift" your good lady £7K, also to be put into an ISA,this way you are both taking the £7K tax free annual allownace. Then put the remainder of £11K into a high interest bearing account, as you've stated you want this to earn interest to go towards paying your utilities bills.

Just a thought.

Thai

Guest Tracker
Thai Bry - 2007-11-23 11:19 AM
howie - 2007-11-22 6:25 PM Hypothetical of course, but how would you invest £25,000 in a safe haven with maximum return. Interest to be paid annually (basic rate income tax) and used on such luxuries as gas, elec, and rates etc.

Howie

You can put up to £7K per year into an ISA which is tax free, and then take your earnings from this.

You are allowed by law to also make a "Gift".

So one of my suggestions would be to take £7K, and put this into a ISA, "gift" your good lady £7K, also to be put into an ISA,this way you are both taking the £7K tax free annual allownace. Then put the remainder of £11K into a high interest bearing account, as you've stated you want this to earn interest to go towards paying your utilities bills.

Just a thought.

Thai

Except that Howie might not see shares based investments as safe?Nevertheless he can still put £3k per tax year on a cash ISA at about 5.5% tax free which is always a good haven for 'rainy day' money that you hope you will never need but is always instantly available in case you do!If you seek absolute safety for your capital, as far as I know, there is only the Building Society type investments or NS&I to choose between.But I'm not an expert!

Tomo3090 - 2007-11-23 10:33 AM

Howie, I've had another think and I have a cunning plan for your money. We are wanting to buy a new van, a Bessacarr E560, and the trade in difference is about 20k. So this is where you come in. You give me your 25k and I buy my new van plus some extra twiddly bits, sat. dish, solar panel, etc etc. With me so far?

Then WE go off touring all round Europe in the van and we send YOU regular updates and postcards about our travels. That way WE get our new van without the time consuming saving and YOU get the warm glow of having helped a fellow motorhomer, (plus all the post cards of course).

In a year or two on our return our savings will have grown and we can then give you your 25k back, PLUS we will bring you a pressie back from our travels.

So what do you say my, (bestest) internet friend? Are we on? When can I collect my money, and can it be cash please? :-D

I remember something about an American doing much the same by asking fellow drop outs to each contribute one dollar each so he could live the millionaire lifstyle. In return he shared all his experiences of living the highlife with them so they could in some small measure share the dream. Worked as well I believe. Undecided at the moment Tomo, but send me all your bank details in case I decide to take up your offer.

Still looking for the best deal. 5.5 % with good security at the moment, and there,s more than half those utility bills paid for.

howie - 2007-11-22 7:27 PM

Tomo3090 - 2007-11-22 6:49 PM

I would be willing to go half and half if you could guarantee £1,000,000 Steve. Basic utiltity bills are now around £2,500 p.a. and with just the two pensions our savings are rapidly being depleted. Plenty of returns of 5% plus to be had, but looking for the very best deal to be had. That 5% would in reality halve this outgoing with anything else being a bonus.

Looking at it from another angle :

Can you take any steps to reduce your basic utility bills ?

Not really Malc. Apart from gas and electricity all other bills are beyond our control. Not willing to compromise on keeping warm and a real shame that such a basic necessity costs so much. Double glazing and insulation are as it should be and the £200 heating allowance is big step in the right direction, but for others not as fortunate as ourselves such hardship is beyond belief in this day and age. Usually have the central heating on for a hour or two in the morning and the same in the evenings, but our service engineer says that having it on low all day will be cheaper. Trying that at the moment, but will have to wait for the next bill to see if its right.

howie - 2007-11-23 11:11 PM

Not really Malc. Apart from gas and electricity all other bills are beyond our control. Not willing to compromise on keeping warm and a real shame that such a basic necessity costs so much. Double glazing and insulation are as it should be and the £200 heating allowance is big step in the right direction, but for others not as fortunate as ourselves such hardship is beyond belief in this day and age. Usually have the central heating on for a hour or two in the morning and the same in the evenings, but our service engineer says that having it on low all day will be cheaper. Trying that at the moment, but will have to wait for the next bill to see if its right.

You don't have to wait for the next bill howie. Just take your meter eadings for the relevant periods of different use and compare.

Howie its true its cheaper to leave it on low than keep boiling it up when the temp goes down.

We have that underfloor heating in the kitchen only but the kitchen is 40ft so it quite big . The kids love it and so do we your feet are constantly hot the other thing is with this the bill is high I think at £83 a month considering we have no radiators in the front room the office the hall the landing the bathroom . Amazing but that underfloor heating has the house like a hot sauna ...

When the kids come in from the cold they bring there mates and lie on the floor in the kitchen I have to step over them until they are warm. :D

Wonder what we will do if we still live here when we are retired I suppose freeze as thats alot of money out of a pension.

Never tried underfloor heating Michele but others have told me how good it is. No problem keeping our house warm, and having the c/h set at minimum all day is ample for even the coldest weather. Just a case of keeping those bills down thats all. Looking at around £1200 from that investment each year so thats a great help. We were hoping to spend a bit on other things we felt we needed, but apart from updating the car it looks as if that windfall we had will be for everyday living and a something to fall back on if needed.

Our biggest saving on utitlities in recent times has been the installation of a water meter. I reckon we must have saved at least 30 percent on water bills.

Also nice to know that we are not paying for water if/when we are away in the van for a few weeks.

Only two of us at home which helps.

Archived