Irritating flashing and moving adverts

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Are back, and I can't find the thread that told me how to turn them off as the search won't work.

Can anyone help please before they drive me even dafter than I already am.

Thanks.

PS - I'm off for now as I can't stand the irritation any longer.

Mick H. - 2008-08-11 2:16 PM
Bazza454 - 2008-08-11 1:58 PM

Richard,

Click TOOLS, (top of the page).

Then INTERNET OPTIONS, then ADVANCED, then scroll down to PLAY ANIMATIONS IN WEB PAGES and uncheck, then APPLY. 

So when does Ordnance Survey stop drawing maps. Mick H.
Next time you restart your computer Mick!Yes Tracker I could not agree with you more, they are the most irritating thing going and as you have to turn off animations it also stops some sensible movements on some sites that you would prefer to be on. Thats the trouble with these IT 'Geeks' they think that everybody is as pleased by these stupid things as they are! I tend to not use sites that they are on (advertisers please note). Then that is typical of advertising agencies nowdays, look at some of the crazy advertising you get on the box, I no longer look at that either!BasP.S. Just tried it and no it doesn't! Help how do you turn off the moving Ordanance Survey adverts, thats finished it I'll never buy another OS map again I'll stick to TTom!! :-D :-D :-D

If you are using Firefox the procedure is slightly different:

Images do not animate

If animated GIF images are not animating on-screen, you may need to change a Firefox preference:

1. In the Location bar, type about:config, and press EnterReturn.

* The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.

2. In the about:config page, enter image.animation_mode in the Filter textbox. This preference determines how to animate multi-frame animated GIF images. Possible values include:

* none: animated images will never play.

* once: animated images will play once and then stop animating.

* normal: (default) animated images will play as normal.

3. Verify that the value of image.animation_mode is set to normal, which is the default value.

4. To change the value, right-clickhold down the Ctrl key while you click the preference name, and select Reset.

In edit :

Didn't work for me though - will have to investigate further!

I was about to say that if you right click on the d@mn things you can turn off the 'play' option,

unfortunately it turns itself back on at the first opportunity.

Don't suppose there's any chance a mod might actually come along and do something about it, the ads are perfectly acceptable in their static form - but are rapidly turning me off OS maps for life.

Advertisers should be told if their ads are annoying because it has a negative effect; f'rinstance - I never could stand Bernard Matthews and have never bought any of his stuff - long before Jamie O said it wasn't a good idea.

B-)

Guest Tracker

Thanks Janine and others.

I too am on Firefox and my image animation mode is already set to none (I just checked it), so it looks as if some smart a**e (another word for bum) has found a way to annoy us even more by by-passing it?

Glad it's not just me who is brassed off by this pointless irritation and just in case anyone from the OS is watching I NEVER NEVER buy anything from a website or advert that pisses me off - and yours does!

If enough people send a message to the administrators they might just listen - and then again maybe ad revenue is more important than member comfort?

Tracker - 2008-08-11 5:32 PM

Thanks Janine and others.

If enough people send a message to the administrators they might just listen - and then again maybe ad revenue is more important than member comfort?

Thats why the ads. always come up way before the threads.

if you left click on the %^%$GY ad it takes you to the OS web site

which has a 'contact us' option

which has a 'complaints' option

I actually like OS maps - could sit n read them for hours - but this could be the decing factor in switching to young Tom >:-)

B-)

Mick H. - 2008-08-11 5:29 PM Well I've stopped the little B........ Now somebody tell me how important is Adobe Fllash Player to the running of my puter, 'Cos swtching that off stopped it dead. Mick H.

Mick, you can set Adobe Flash Player to prompt before you view flash content.

This is from the Adobe website and is how mine is set -

3. Troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player for Internet Explorer

Before installing Flash Player, please check the following browser settings:

Internet Explorer ActiveX settings

Browser security settings should be chosen by you or by your system administrator. For single users who do not have an administrator, the Medium: Default Level allows you to view Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure that both the "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" options are set to "Prompt".

To change your security level:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
  2. Choose Tools > Internet Options.
  3. Select the Security tab.
  4. Select Custom Level.
  5. Find the section "ActiveX controls and plug-ins".
  6. Set ' Download Signed ActiveX Controls' to Prompt.
  7. Set 'Run ActiveX Controls And Plug-ins' to Prompt.

J9withdogs - 2008-08-11 5:43 PM

I've asked the question of those very nice techybods over on the Sagazone forum. They'll know how to knock it on the head ;-)

Hi J9

Like I said upstairs,switch off Adobe Flash player and it stops.What else stops I wait to see.

Mick H.

Guest Tracker

Oh what blessed relief - it's gone - there is an all seeing all knowing omnipotent god after all!

I don't know who made it go away but a million heartfelt THANKS!

No problem Rich - I'm a FF convertee too, although the main reason for switching was the spell-check which has now stopped working since the update. :-(

Ah-ha, the techybods have come up with a cunning plan:

Flashblock

Do you think the forum administrators leave the annoying flashy ads on until we complain, then take them off believing that they've done the business, or is that being cynical?

J9withdogs - 2008-08-11 7:00 PM

No problem Rich - I'm a FF convertee too, although the main reason for switching was the spell-check which has now stopped working since the update. :-(

Ah-ha, the techybods have come up with a cunning plan:

Flashblock

Do you think the forum administrators leave the annoying flashy ads on until we complain, then take them off believing that they've done the business, or is that being cynical?

My spellcheck's still working - which update knocked yours off??

Never thought of you as a cynic though

>:-)

B-)

Archived