Is Brexit dead?

spospe

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that we are already out and the only way back in is to re-apply, unless the EU 'invite' us to return on old terms and I can't see that happening?

It seems to me that extending the status quo of half in half out transition at least as far as trading, economic and medical cooperation are concerned for a further year would make sense.

But I can't see that happening either given the seemingly entrenched views of both the UK and EU leaders.

The EU has said they will extend the transition period if Britain asks.

Since it was Britain who asked to leave, how could you expect the other 27 countries to do the asking for us?

BoJo's self imposed deadline was very difficult even before Covid19 and his clinging on to power whilst unable to do the job.

To try and meet the deadline now would be absurd.

But then so is the clown in charge of saving us from Covid19 getting it himself, ventilator contracts with companies that can't make ventilators, buying testing kits that don't work, and the Prime Minister dishing out instructions that are dfferent to the law, making the poor copper at the sharp end not know what his role is supposed to be, etc etc

It would make sense to extend the transition period another couple of years but I dont think Johnson and the ToryKippers will have any of that. They have a perfect excuse now when it all goes tits up, blame it on the Coronavirus, their hedge fund backers will still make a mint, they will all owner a bigger piece of what is a reduced pie and the millions that lose their jobs and businesses can go and do the crappy jobs the EU workers did while Singapore on Thames gets underway. Even better for them, the new baby Tories are so invested in Brexit and turning blue they will just accept it and probably fawn over their new masters even more while working 14 hours pulling cabbages.

Always look on the bright side of life

Always look on the light side of life

Some things in life are bad

They can really make you mad

Other things just make you swear and curse

When you're chewing on life's gristle

Don't grumble, give a whistle

And this'll help things turn out for the best

And always look on the bright side of life

If life seems jolly rotten

There's something you've forgotten

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

When you're feeling in the dumps

Don't be silly chumps

Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing

And always look on the bright side of life

Barryd999 - 2020-04-10 11:14 AM

It would make sense to extend the transition period another couple of years but I dont think Johnson and the ToryKippers will have any of that. They have a perfect excuse now when it all goes tits up, blame it on the Coronavirus, their hedge fund backers will still make a mint, they will all owner a bigger piece of what is a reduced pie and the millions that lose their jobs and businesses can go and do the crappy jobs the EU workers did while Singapore on Thames gets underway. Even better for them, the new baby Tories are so invested in Brexit and turning blue they will just accept it and probably fawn over their new masters even more while working 14 hours pulling cabbages.

Presume you still have the permanent grey cloud over your village ... Just like every other day

Birdbrain - 2020-04-10 12:05 PM

Presume you still have the permanent grey cloud over your village ... Just like every other day

Nope. As you keep reminding me, we live in a bubble here and Im quite pleased about that. The sun is shining and life will go on here pretty much as normal. Nobody knows how we will all come out the other side of this so the above is just one way I can see it going. My trust in the government is at an all time low but it seems I am definitely in a minority there now so hopefully my doom and gloom prediction will be wrong and everyone will come out of this smelling of roses in time for a nice cold pint at the Winchester. :D or not :-(

As I recall the Winchester was Arthur Daly's local, so it should suit you Barry!

I too don't have much faith in this government, but then I have never had much faith in any government for many years anyway - and looking on the bright side it could be a lot worse - Jeremy Corbyn could be in charge!

spospe - 2020-04-10 10:27 AM

Given the dramatic and as yet unresolved nature of the Covid-19 crisis, is it now time to say that Brexit is off, at least until the dust settles?

The transition period should certainly be extended. The pause would give time for everyone to reflect and reconsider more seriously on how much more damage we are prepared to inflict on the country.

Tracker - 2020-04-10 1:45 PM

As I recall the Winchester was Arthur Daly's local, so it should suit you Barry!

I too don't have much faith in this government, but then I have never had much faith in any government for many years anyway - and looking on the bright side it could be a lot worse - Jeremy Corbyn could be in charge!

I was thinking more of the Winchester pub in Shaun of the Dead where they all escaped to try and avoid the Zombie Apocalypse. It didn't end well.

I don't think there was ever any danger of Corbyn being in charge on his own but its yesterdays news now.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-10 1:10 PM

Nope. As you keep reminding me, we live in a bubble here and Im quite pleased about that. The sun is shining and life will go on here pretty much as normal. Nobody knows how we will all come out the other side of this so the above is just one way I can see it going. My trust in the government is at an all time low but it seems I am definitely in a minority there now so hopefully my doom and gloom prediction will be wrong and everyone will come out of this smelling of roses in time for a nice cold pint at the Winchester. :D or not :-(

Whos "we" and when I say you live in a bubble its a Barry bubble , your own liccle world not ya village ... Just you , ya computer and ya bedroom ... Open the curtains its been a beautiful day

spospe - 2020-04-10 4:50 PM

So we all agree that Brexit is off and that we should be agreeing an extension of our leaving the EU?

Great idea ... France in recession , Italy just about , Spain cooked and Germany heading for deep recession ... https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2020/apr/08/insurers-cut-dividends-bank-of-england-payouts-coronavirus-covid-19-crisis-aviva-legal-general-business-live ... Thats without all the liccle hanger-on type countries n'all ... Lets stay and keep paying in and getting ... Nowt

Bulletguy - 2020-04-10 3:39 PM

spospe - 2020-04-10 10:27 AM

Given the dramatic and as yet unresolved nature of the Covid-19 crisis, is it now time to say that Brexit is off, at least until the dust settles?

The transition period should certainly be extended. The pause would give time for everyone to reflect and reconsider more seriously on how much more damage we are prepared to inflict on the country.

Nah, it’s done ,we’re out ,it’s just a matter of the finish line.

So we all agree that Brexit is off and that we should be agreeing an extension of our leaving the EU?

Depends how much more self inflicted damage we want to wreak on the country for many years and generations to come. I never wanted or saw sense in leaving in the first place....did you? :-|

Bulletguy - 2020-04-10 6:07 PM

Depends how much more self inflicted damage we want to wreak on the country for many years and generations to come. I never wanted or saw sense in leaving in the first place....did you? :-|

I reckon most folk would be happy with the choice they made if you believe staying is the best option ... Unless you are lying again ... Chuckle

Birdbrain - 2020-04-10 4:12 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-10 1:10 PM

Whos "we" and when I say you live in a bubble its a Barry bubble , your own liccle world not ya village ... Just you , ya computer and ya bedroom ... Open the curtains its been a beautiful day

You forget I have EbolaCovidPox so have been extremely unwell so I find your comments about being confined to the bedroom deeply upsetting and insensitive! Anyway I have been out today and rescued an elderly neighbour who had locked herself out of her car down by the river. I have to say this getting fresh air malarkey is great. There was a strange orange thing in the sky.

Not according to the government. I signed the Stay European petition to delay ending the transition period for two years.

The Government responded:

"The transition period ends on 31 December 2020, as enshrined in UK law. The Prime Minister has made clear he has no intention of changing this. We remain fully committed to negotiations with the EU.

We will not be extending the transition period – we will be recovering economic and political independence at the end of the year, which the British people voted for.

The transition period ends on 31 December 2020. The end date of the transition period is enshrined in UK law. Section 15A of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 prohibits the Government from agreeing to an extension of the transition period.

The UK remains fully committed to the negotiations on our future relationship with the EU. However, in light on the current situation, the structure of negotiations has had to change and instead take place between the negotiating teams remotely. Last week, the UK held a series of conference calls, both sides discussed and provided technical clarifications on their respective legal texts and we have held conversations with the Commission to consider next steps. In the coming weeks we hope to have agreed a timetable for the negotiations by remote means in April and May. We remain committed to working closely with the devolved administrations (DAs) throughout negotiations with the EU to ensure a future relationship that works in the interests of the whole of the UK.

The first meeting of the Withdrawal Joint Committee (WAJC) was held as planned on 30 March. This meeting was held via teleconference, in line with the latest Government guidance, and is a good example of how we can continue our work on implementing the Withdrawal Agreement during this time.

We will, of course, continue to be guided by scientific advice about what is right for our workforce as we seek to develop these options.

Cabinet Office."

Not sure about the scientific advice, but I'd have thought the economic advice might soon be giving them some pause for thought. But will it?

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-10 7:01 PM

Not according to the government. I signed the Stay European petition to delay ending the transition period for two years.

The Government responded:

"The transition period ends on 31 December 2020, as enshrined in UK law. The Prime Minister has made clear he has no intention of changing this. We remain fully committed to negotiations with the EU.

We will not be extending the transition period – we will be recovering economic and political independence at the end of the year, which the British people voted for.

The transition period ends on 31 December 2020. The end date of the transition period is enshrined in UK law. Section 15A of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 prohibits the Government from agreeing to an extension of the transition period.

The UK remains fully committed to the negotiations on our future relationship with the EU. However, in light on the current situation, the structure of negotiations has had to change and instead take place between the negotiating teams remotely. Last week, the UK held a series of conference calls, both sides discussed and provided technical clarifications on their respective legal texts and we have held conversations with the Commission to consider next steps. In the coming weeks we hope to have agreed a timetable for the negotiations by remote means in April and May. We remain committed to working closely with the devolved administrations (DAs) throughout negotiations with the EU to ensure a future relationship that works in the interests of the whole of the UK.

The first meeting of the Withdrawal Joint Committee (WAJC) was held as planned on 30 March. This meeting was held via teleconference, in line with the latest Government guidance, and is a good example of how we can continue our work on implementing the Withdrawal Agreement during this time.

We will, of course, continue to be guided by scientific advice about what is right for our workforce as we seek to develop these options.

Cabinet Office."

Not sure about the scientific advice, but I'd have thought the economic advice might soon be giving them some pause for thought. But will it?

"Stay European petition" ... When did we vote to end being European ??? ... Kind of says it all ... How sad

jumpstart - 2020-04-10 7:50 PM

There is no Union of the European Union. It is a dead parrot. The cheese shop is empty. Devoid of new ideas, unsympathetic towards neighbouring countries . It is a beached whale.

Come on - be fair - the EU is not THAT good!

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-10 7:01 PM

Well they ignored the scientific advice from WHO. As for the latter, Johnsons silly soundbites of "oven ready Brexit" and "get Brexit done" was enough for the turkeys. Thats why they're so protective of him as they still believe he's going to take them to their sunlit uplands.

Archived