Is the Opposition worth listenning t?

StuartO

I head Sir Kier Starmer this morning, demanding that Parliament is recalled so that the Government can be held to account.

But all this really means seems to be that the Party which was so resoundingly rejected at the last General Election want the platform upon which to second guess things rather than come up with anything new or constructive.  Although they say they will be supporting the Government in this hour of national crisis, they are still chipping in with political points when they can.  For example the Shaddow Health Secretary was criticising the Home Secretary this morning for failing to apologise properly during the press briefing yesterday for causing some NHS/Carer people to feel they are not being given the proper sort of PPE.  It was another version of the "won't you at least admit" questions we're still getting from inferior journalists.

StuartO - 2020-04-12 1:08 PM
I head Sir Kier Starmer this morning, demanding that Parliament is recalled so that the Government can be held to account.

But all this really means seems to be that the Party which was so resoundingly rejected at the last General Election want the platform upon which to second guess things rather than come up with anything new or constructive.  Although they say they will be supporting the Government in this hour of national crisis, they are still chipping in with political points when they can.  For example the Shaddow Health Secretary was criticising the Home Secretary this morning for failing to apologise properly during the press briefing yesterday for causing some NHS/Carer people to feel they are not being given the proper sort of PPE.  It was another version of the "won't you at least admit" questions we're still getting from inferior journalists.

You think its wise to let the current government just do what it pleases with absolutely no data in the public domain that can be scrutinised by the opposition? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

But all this really means seems to be that the Party which was so resoundingly rejected at the last General Election want the platform upon which to second guess things rather than come up with anything new or constructive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

malc d.

The party that was resoundingly between has a completely new shadow cabinet under a new leader.

Opposition in Parliament is essential.

For instance -the Tories wanted the emergency police powers to be in place for two years !

Opposition to their idea means the powers, by law, now have to be reviewed every six months.

The old saying that absolute power corrupts absolutely is the saying to bear in mind.

:-|

The role of the opposition is to oppose and the country can only benefit from a responsible opposition.

I don't think recalling parliament would send the right message right now when everyone else has to stay at home, but I consider that there is certainly a good case for cabinet style video linked 'meetings' involving senior members of both parties to keep the rancid right from taking over.

At least for the first time in many a year we do seem to have the makings now of a credible opposition?

It's early days still and mistakes will be made but let's give Labour a chance and see where they want to take us?

But all this really means seems to be that the Party which was so resoundingly rejected at the last General Election want the platform upon which to second guess things rather than come up with anything new or constructive. Although they say they will be supporting the Government in this hour of national crisis, they are still chipping in with political points when they can. For example the Shaddow Health Secretary was criticising the Home Secretary this morning for failing to apologise properly during the press briefing yesterday for causing some NHS/Carer people to feel they are not being given the proper sort of PPE. It was another version of the "won't you at least admit" questions we're still getting from inferior journalists.

You surprise me as you're advocating Totalitarianism here Stuart in shutting down any opposition. A very dangerous route to go down. There is no question that parliament should be recalled. To me it's unthinkable that we're even questioning it and a government in power, irrespective of whom, should actively be seeking getting back to work especially given the crisis the country is now facing.

Here is what Keir Starmer said in an interview on the Marr show last week. Short but very much to the point.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-12 2:31 PM You surprise me as you're advocating Totalitarianism here Stuart in shutting down any opposition. A very dangerous route to go down. There is no question that parliament should be recalled. To me it's unthinkable that we're even questioning it and a government in power, irrespective of whom, should actively be seeking getting back to work especially given the crisis the country is now facing.Here is what Keir Starmer said in an interview on the Marr show last week. Short but very much to the point.https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1246809621781712898

I don't mind Parliament being recalled, I just wondered whether Labour's new lot could be any better at being Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition than Team Corbyn, which incidentally did seem to be aiming to exercise totalitarian control over Labouur and then The World.  I got fed up of listening to Starmer because he was as boring about Brexit as Our Brian but now that he steered himself through the minefield to become Leader, perhaps he will have something more interesting to say.

Hopefully time will show that the present opposition are far more credible than the last lot and I believe that they should be given a fair chance to establish themselves, and as one can hardly call the current economic and health situation normal this make take time.

One thing is obvious to me, Kier Starmer has shown more credibility in a week than his predecessor did in several years in the job, and I am not a Labour voter!

StuartO - 2020-04-12 4:43 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-04-12 2:31 PM You surprise me as you're advocating Totalitarianism here Stuart in shutting down any opposition. A very dangerous route to go down. There is no question that parliament should be recalled. To me it's unthinkable that we're even questioning it and a government in power, irrespective of whom, should actively be seeking getting back to work especially given the crisis the country is now facing.Here is what Keir Starmer said in an interview on the Marr show last week. Short but very much to the point.https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1246809621781712898
I don't mind Parliament being recalled, I just wondered whether Labour's new lot could be any better at being Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition than Team Corbyn....

Well you won't ever know if you try to shut opposition down. Corbyn is no longer leader and afaik retired, and people need to get used to that instead of dragging his name up all the time as it's history now. I know it may be boring to some no longer having anything to kick, but the media barons ran a successful smear campaign against JC, got ToryKipper Bexiteers what they wanted, and now its all began to go pear shaped, it's too late in the day to start whining "this isn't what we voted for". Accountability now and the day of reckoning is on you. Johnson has to deliver on all those wild promises made so i'm sure everyone is ready to welcome him back to see what the next cock up will be.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-12 6:13 PM

StuartO - 2020-04-12 4:43 PM

I don't mind Parliament being recalled, I just wondered whether Labour's new lot could be any better at being Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition than Team Corbyn....

Well you won't ever know if you try to shut opposition down. Corbyn is no longer leader and afaik retired, and people need to get used to that instead of dragging his name up all the time as it's history now. I know it may be boring to some no longer having anything to kick, but the media barons ran a successful smear campaign against JC, got ToryKipper Bexiteers what they wanted, and now its all began to go pear shaped, it's too late in the day to start whining "this isn't what we voted for". Accountability now and the day of reckoning is on you. Johnson has to deliver on all those wild promises made so i'm sure everyone is ready to welcome him back to see what the next cock up will be.

What exactly ignoring the worldwide China Virus has gone "pear shaped" ???

John52 - 2020-04-13 12:29 PMStuart, Would you still be wanting the opposition shut down if Dianne Abbot were PM, and was channelling the aid money to her wealthiest supporters *-)

Well Ms Abbot was always good spectator value, especially when she was talking figures but your hypothetical question placing her in the role of PM is too big a stretch for me but I am feeling the loss of her departure from the front bench already. You were of course indulging in irony and implying the corruption you suspect of the Tories and I all in favour of opposing any of that. 

Sir Kier was reported recently as saying that “this is not the time” for much in the way of criticism being expressed so that sounds like an encouraging start. 

StuartO - 2020-04-13 12:50 PM

John52 - 2020-04-13 12:29 PMStuart, Would you still be wanting the opposition shut down if Dianne Abbot were PM, and was channelling the aid money to her wealthiest supporters *-)
Well Ms Abbot was always good spectator value, especially when she was talking figures.....

That title has now gone to Priti Vacant with her figures of 300,034974,000 people that UK has tested.....and she even read that nonsensical figure from her own notes! Lets not forget too the same MP wants to fight counter-terrorism by "doubling their sentences and stopping their early release".......the very people that work for MI5! Little wonder then that they have no trust in her! And this dimwit has been put in charge of UK security! *-)

StuartO - 2020-04-13 12:50 PM

your hypothetical question placing Dianne Abbot in the role of PM is too big a stretch for me

Is it more absurd than the clown in charge of telling us how to avoid Covid19 catching it himself?

In any case, it would be easiest for a lazy 'journalist' to go to the Downing Street Press Briefings and repeat all the sh*te they have been given without checking it. But a proper journalist has more integrity than that.

John52 - 2020-04-13 7:17 PM

One example of how bad the 'newspaper' coverage is was last Friday when over 1000 people died and the headline in the Sun was 'now that really is a Good Friday'

You might not want to listen to the opposition, but for those who do: https://www.thenational.scot/news/18373672.sun-faces-huge-online-backlash-good-friday-front-page/

Way more than a 1000 people died last Friday ... Im guessing and its only guess that the headline wasn't about that though ... You know you and another fella on here sure are doing good at making yaselves look very , very bitter ... Regards

Birdbrain - 2020-04-13 7:23 PM

One example of how bad the 'newspaper' coverage is was last Friday when over 1000 people died and the headline in the Sun was 'now that really is a Good Friday'

You might not want to listen to the opposition, but for those who do: https://www.thenational.scot/news/18373672.sun-faces-huge-online-backlash-good-friday-front-page/

Way more than a 1000 people died last Friday ... Im guessing and its only guess that the headline wasn't about that though ... You know you and another fella on here sure are doing good at making yaselves look very , very bitter ... Regards

Caring about those who died and their loved ones is not bitterness.

Its something you seem unable to understand.

John52 - 2020-04-13 7:52 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-13 7:23 PM

Caring about those who died and their loved ones is not bitterness.

Its something you seem unable to understand.

I care about those who have died and their loved ones any day and every day and not just last Friday ... You care only to misrepresent a headline in a Tory supporting newspaper

Watching Sky News this morning and there was an interview about the continuing internal ructions in the Labour Party, which seem to be pretty unstoppable; one lot leaking this or that to discredit the other or to whitewash their actions.  Still seem to be a long way from being a cohesive Opposition even if Sir Kier Starmer is making the right sort of noises.

The Government are keeping their cards close to their chest about the precise mechanism they will use to decide when and how to ease the lockdown in order to start rejuvinating the economy (i.e. we'llcross that bridge when we come to it, following the science all the way) while Labour want it all the conditions and criteria laid out in public in advance so everyone can chip in and debate their value.  I can understand the need to manage public compliance and convidence in where we are going but I can't see that an Irish parliament would be the way to do it.  Isn't allowing the masses to be involved in the decisions how Labour ended up with JC and the fourth election defeat?

He’s got 4 years to sort it out.

The government need to take a long hard look at Greece. They dealt with the outbreak in a smart way,they are implementing good processes to get things on track again. Basically a lot of smart joined up thinking. We have so far just been playing catch-up .

Birdbrain - 2020-04-14 6:34 AM

... You care only to misrepresent a headline in a Tory supporting newspaper

I quoted it word for word and asked for opinions on whether it was insensitive to the relatives of those who had died that day.

StuartO - 2020-04-14 8:31 AM

The Government are keeping their cards close to their chest

which translates to 'haven't a clue'

StuartO - 2020-04-14 8:31 AM

following the science all the way

which translates to 'blame someone else'

The tragedy is Britain started out with all the advantages - being surrounded by water to keep the virus out, and having the most notice. We could have stopped the virus at the border.

But what were they doing back in January and February whilst other countries were securing their suppliers?

Archived