You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  General Chat -> Chatterbox
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 Last
Format:  Go
Is there room for a more considered post about Tusk and Co?
AuthorMessage
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 12 February 2019 6:38 PM
Subject: RE: Is there room for a more considered post about Tusk and Co?

Realist - 2019-02-12 12:05 AM

Hi Fast Pat, I'm not sure what you mean as the 14 eyes is just an extension of the 5 eyes group. Unfortunately spying is here for ever you, GB suffers it in all the high streets nowadays.
I do have some questions which would answered.
1/ The EU is run by 27 appointed commissioners who initiate legislation then pass it on to Parliament to consider. The one problem with that is they cannot reject it but only make minor changes. Is this good for democracy. Answer yes/ no
2/ Is it reasonable to move the parliament to move every month from Brussels to Strasbourg, which is another concession to France surely this has to end.
3/ What are the chances of the EU banning the European Cup as it is too nationialistic. That surely will happen
Realistsome day

In response to your comment on Five Eyes above: yes, but it is surely better to have the added inputs from within the EU member states as well? Why throw away that?

In response to the above:
1 There are currently 28 commissioners. Yes, in the interests of consistent drafting, they initiate legislation but they can also be asked by the Parliament or the Council to commence doing so and, if so asked, they cannot refuse. The Parliament can reject, or amend, proposed legislation. The Parliament or the Council must adopt proposed legislation before it is enacted. I think your information may reflect the position before the 2007 Lisbon Treaty and is now out of date. I hope you didn't vote leave on that basis!

Three "Wiki" explanations for you:
Commission: http://tinyurl.com/y5v3acem
Council: http://tinyurl.com/y42yhoyg
Parliament: http://tinyurl.com/hypvx6j

Answer: yes or no - depending on which part of your question is being answered.

2 The dual locations of the parliament are an anachronism, and will probably be ended at some point. Men wear silk tights at Westminster. IMO that pointless flummery should also be ended. I don't see either as a reason to leave the UK, or the EU.

3 Pure supposition, and irrelevant to continuing our membership (or any other serious matters). Football is a game: get over it.
userRealist
Posted: 13 February 2019 8:32 AM

Just joined

Let's see if I have this right. The remainers voted to be governed by 56 commissioners/ councillors of which 2 are Britons ,one who has to swear allegiance to the EU project and the other your Prime Minister. You have no say on the other people who have control over how Great Britain is managed Surely the British can do much better.
I only mentioned the football as a long term perspective ( you should loosen up)
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 13 February 2019 12:05 PM

Er no, I'm afraid you have most of that wrong. Look again at the Wiki links I gave. You've only skimmed them. You'll need to read them right through to understand the structure. Britain is governed from Westminster (not that we seem to have much "say" on what they do), not the EU. I'm well loose, thanks, I just don't find football either relevant or interesting.
userBarryd999
Posted: 13 February 2019 12:39 PM

Forum master

Britain is indeed governed by Westminster as Brian has explained but given the last two years performance from what can only be described as a government and an opposition that is simply not fit for purpose I would actually question if it should be. Maybe we would do better if we were totally governed my Europe.

userpelmetman
Posted: 13 February 2019 9:07 PM

Walks with the gods

Barryd999 - 2019-02-13 12:39 PM

Britain is indeed governed by Westminster as Brian has explained but given the last two years performance from what can only be described as a government and an opposition that is simply not fit for purpose I would actually question if it should be. Maybe we would do better if we were totally governed my Europe.

Correct ............

They implement the rules that come from the EU and the ECJ ..............

Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator