Is this tasteless?

LordThornber

Unfortunately Martin it is a fact of life that there are lot of deaths around this time of year and it can be a very expensive business indeed. There will be some relations who are already facing hardship and, what to you may seem crass, to them may at least give them some hope that they can give their loved one the 'send-off' they deserve without having to cut back. There will be quite a few who are already in the throws of arranging funerals and a lot will already be scheduled to take place in late December/early January due to the Christmas closures, I for one can put up with this sort of advertising if it makes it a bit easier for those who need to partake of the offer. I am glad that I don't need to ... :-|

Guest Tracker
Not at all in bad taste as it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good and at least it is honest and not misleading which is more than can be said for much advertising these days!

Guest Tracker

Funerals are very expensive, not only for the immediate and local family but for friends and more distant family too, and I would be happy to point anyone towards a discount florist - but only if the florist was known to supply good vfm.

Nothing is more tasteless and upsetting than a poorly presented floral tribute because that could make it look as if the sender did not care which would in reality be far from the truth.

Tasteless only in respect that they seem to be touting for business at a time when most people simply want to get things done in a dignified manner.

Flower arrangements and wreaths are expensive, as are funerals generally, but looking to bury a loved one on the cheap, or searching for the best deals is something that I personally would not do.

Mother in Laws funeral is Monday at 2:15. We have asked only for a family flower arrangement on the coffin and donations to her favourite charity as we all think that flowers would be a waste (this time of year especially)

Our local florist is struggling and they said they would close in the New Year if things did not pick up.

Sad but flowers are possibly the best example of a luxury that can be missed.

Guest Tracker

When my late wife and my mum died in 2004 we specified no flowers except immediate family as that was their wishes because they both hated to see so much waste.

Instead Cancer Research and the British Heart Foundation both benefited by a few hundred pounds - not a fortune, granted - but a lot more satisfying to us than wastage.

Just think how much more valuable research could be funded if everyone who felt they were able were to break with tradition and do the same?

This is not an attack on the bereaved or on florists as we must all do what we feel is appropriate at such difficult times and again there is no right or wrong - only different.

Must agree with the charity donation sentiment and it's what i would want at mine!!

can't agree with the comment on florists using old stock. The family collected all the flowers from my sisiter-in-laws funeral, took them back to their place and put them in the garden for people to pay respects. They lasted ages.

Archived