It's a wind up?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

According to BBC Wales News today, the organisers of The Rally of Wales (used to be called the RAC Rally if you are old enough to remember) are doing their bit for the environment and that the rally will, this year, be carbon neutral (whatever that means - bloody silly phrase anyway!).

This is because - and this is truly imaginative and wonderful - the organisers and stewards will share cars and the stewards will all be supplied with 'wind up' torches!

Wonderful - you couldn't invent stuff like this!

Tracker - 2008-11-13 7:16 PM

According to BBC Wales News today, the organisers of The Rally of Wales (used to be called the RAC Rally if you are old enough to remember) are doing their bit for the environment and that the rally will, this year, be carbon neutral (whatever that means - bloody silly phrase anyway!).

This is because - and this is truly imaginative and wonderful - the organisers and stewards will share cars and the stewards will all be supplied with 'wind up' torches!

Wonderful - you couldn't invent stuff like this!

I think I can help you there Tracker.

" Carbon neutral " is the term used by PR people when they think the person they are talking to is an idiot.

So, in effect it means " I can't really justify what we are doing "

Hope this helps.

:-|

Guest Tracker
malc d - 2008-11-13 8:04 PM

" Carbon neutral " is the term used by PR people when they think the person they are talking to is an idiot.

So, in effect it means " I can't really justify what we are doing "

Hope this helps.

:-|

Thanks Malc that explains it all - I just knew I was missing something and as I get older I find that I do have to rely on the more intelligent members to help keep me insane!

Now don't laugh, I am not winding you up, after reducing carbon emissions from car pooling etc, wind up torches, being green with their waste, the remaining carbon emissions are being offset by credits from the Carbon Neutral Company making them carbon Neutral for the event.

(So eventually we will have a new form of credit crunch and toxic loans)!

Jon.

In view of the quantity of fatty foods and beans traditionally consumed by thousands of spectators and marshals staying at campsites and B and B's during the event, no doubt the organisers will be issuing corks and verifying their correct application. After all, without going into too much detail, the potential for large quanties of the two greatest greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide and methane must be huge. !! :D

Bob

I'm with jon (I think), all this carbon offsetting is absolute rubbish. Making an event (or what ever) as enviromently friendly as "sensibly" possible is ok but trying to pretend it's not to produce any carbon is nonsence. The F1 initiative is just as bad, just getting a team to one event proboly creates as much carbon as my lifetimes driving.

Archived