It was never about Europe; Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Bulletguy

A good read......err well, for the readers among us anyway.

It may seem strange to call this slow collapse invisible since so much of it is obvious: the deep uncertainties about the union after the Good Friday agreement of 1998 and the establishment of the Scottish parliament the following year; the consequent rise of English nationalism; the profound regional inequalities within England itself; the generational divergence of values and aspirations; the undermining of the welfare state and its promise of shared citizenship; the contempt for the poor and vulnerable expressed through austerity; the rise of a sensationally self-indulgent and clownish ruling class. But the collective effects of these interrelated developments do seem to have been barely visible within the political mainstream until David Cameron accidentally took the lid off by calling a referendum and asking people to endorse the status quo.

What we see with the lid off and the fog of fantasies at last beginning to dissipate is the truth that Brexit is much less about Britain’s relationship with the EU than it is about Britain’s relationship with itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/18/europe-brexit-britain-state-politics-fit-for-purpose

How about instead of your continual whingeing and trawling the web for negativity you start posting about all that is good about living in the UK, all the things that many people the world over find attractive enough to risk their lives to get into, all the things that many of us who live here enjoy so much and have become so used to that we take for granted.

There is no way you will change anything by continual wailing negativity on an obscure forum but you might get a smidgeon of respect from some of us if you stood for election or donated your own personal wealth to causes you think are worthy of your support.

Tracker - 2019-01-20 5:35 PM

How about instead of your continual whingeing and trawling the web for negativity you start posting about all that is good about living in the UK.....

I'd need to look pre-referendum in that case.

You should give that article a try instead of making presumptions of my posts all the time as you'd find parts which would chime with you.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-20 7:49 PM

You should give that article a try instead of making presumptions of my posts all the time as you'd find parts which would chime with you.

Having endured your bias and negativity for so long I never follow any of your links, and I do not intend to start now.

Tracker - 2019-01-20 8:03 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-20 7:49 PM

Having endured your bias and negativity for so long I never follow any of your links, and I do not intend to start now.

Fine by me......just means you aren't in a position to criticise what you don't know. (lol)

Bulletguy - 2019-01-20 4:14 PM

A good read......err well, for the readers among us anyway.

It may seem strange to call this slow collapse invisible since so much of it is obvious:

Nothing new here.

For many years now the politicians have lost touch with the electorate in western countries.

That has led to calls for Scottish independence, and Brexit, in the U.K. - Trump in the USA - unrest in France - and the rise of the right generally in Europe.

It's only people in our political establishment, and the media from the Westminster village who have been taken by surprise.

:-(

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-20 10:21 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-20 10:12 PM

Its to late Bullet............The Brexit Genie is out of the bottle >:-) ..........

Maybe but he isnt granting anyones wishes.

I guess we'll find out if he is in 68 days ;-) .........

How about instead of your continual whingeing and trawling the web for negativity you start posting about all that is good about living in the UK, all the things that many people the world over find attractive enough to risk their lives to get into, all the things that many of us who live here enjoy so much and have become so used to that we take for granted...……………..

I think Paul is being very generous, Richard, he's clearly leaving that for you to do. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-21 4:00 PM

How about instead of your continual whingeing and trawling the web for negativity you start posting about all that is good about living in the UK, all the things that many people the world over find attractive enough to risk their lives to get into, all the things that many of us who live here enjoy so much and have become so used to that we take for granted...……………..

I think Paul is being very generous, Richard, he's clearly leaving that for you to do. :-D

Paul?? Sorry Brian, am I missing someone here?

Archived