Italian lady denied citizenship........

Bulletguy

.....after living here for over 55 years when her parents brought her to UK as an 18 month old baby. She's actually lived in this country longer than that lunatic masquerading as a Prime Minister fgs!!

“I always felt British, a citizen with equal rights. Then overnight my world was turned upside down." In one email which particularly riles Amato, a government official told her she had failed to prove herself as, “a qualified person either as a worker, a self-employed person, a student, a jobseeker, or a self-sufficient person”. “It is so insulting,” she said, wiping away tears. “You know we all need a basic need to feel a sense of belonging, wherever we are.”

Utter insanity.....what has this country become?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-immigration-insight/where-do-i-go-eu-citizens-face-legal-limbo-after-decades-in-britain-idUKKCN1VK0CV

Bulletguy - 2019-09-07 6:35 PM

.....after living here for over 55 years when her parents brought her to UK as an 18 month old baby. She's actually lived in this country longer than that lunatic masquerading as a Prime Minister fgs!!

“I always felt British, a citizen with equal rights. Then overnight my world was turned upside down." In one email which particularly riles Amato, a government official told her she had failed to prove herself as, “a qualified person either as a worker, a self-employed person, a student, a jobseeker, or a self-sufficient person”. “It is so insulting,” she said, wiping away tears. “You know we all need a basic need to feel a sense of belonging, wherever we are.”

Utter insanity.....what has this country become?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-immigration-insight/where-do-i-go-eu-citizens-face-legal-limbo-after-decades-in-britain-idUKKCN1VK0CV

British citizens have right of abode in uk. It says so in your passport. If she hasn’t applied for citizenship then it doesn’t matter how long she has been here she has no right.

Guest pelmetman

Has she never had a passport? 8-) ...........

It seems to me there is more to this story than meets the eye :-| .....

It is possible she deliberately withheld evidence so her application would be turned down.........Remoaners are a devious bunch >:-) ..........

No doubt her application will be fast tracked now *-) .........

Unbelievable responses from our resident Brexiteers. You would expect condemnation and empathy from all sides for the disgusting way many of our long term EU residents have been treated. This is not an isolated incident either. Actually its not unbelievable. Its predictable now. The way in which so many have embraced this foul hostile environment we have created in the UK makes me ashamed to be British.

Good luck with winning friends and influencing people when we supposedly forge ahead to form new alliances across the globe which I might add the biggest world market is just 22 miles away, you know the one we are doing our best to severe all connections with both politically and economically.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-09-08 9:02 AM

Unbelievable responses from our resident Brexiteers. You would expect condemnation and empathy from all sides for the disgusting way many of our long term EU residents have been treated. This is not an isolated incident either. Actually its not unbelievable. Its predictable now. The way in which so many have embraced this foul hostile environment we have created in the UK makes me ashamed to be British.

Good luck with winning friends and influencing people when we supposedly forge ahead to form new alliances across the globe which I might add the biggest world market is just 22 miles away, you know the one we are doing our best to severe all connections with both politically and economically.

Drama Queen *-) ...........

So are you saying the Italian lady should NOT have to follow similar rules that I would have to in Spain as a citizen of a Non EU country ? :-| .........

pelmetman - 2019-09-08 9:16 AM

So are you saying the Italian lady should NOT have to follow similar rules that I would have to in Spain as a citizen of a Non EU country ? :-| .........

Nothing Drama Queen about it at all. This is how I feel and I'm a British citizen FFS! Imagine how you would feel if you had lived here for 55 years! This isnt a one off either.

No wonder valued EU citizens are turning their back on this country only to be replaced with immigrants from further afield of course. How do you think the people of Europe feel about us and our new regime? We have acted like untrustworthy back street car salesmen throughout this entire s**tfest and created a hostile environment. When we go looking for trade deals who is going to trust the UK?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-09-08 10:15 AM

pelmetman - 2019-09-08 9:16 AM

Nothing Drama Queen about it at all. This is how I feel and I'm a British citizen FFS! Imagine how you would feel if you had lived here for 55 years! This isnt a one off either.

No wonder valued EU citizens are turning their back on this country only to be replaced with immigrants from further afield of course. How do you think the people of Europe feel about us and our new regime? We have acted like untrustworthy back street car salesmen throughout this entire s**tfest and created a hostile environment. When we go looking for trade deals who is going to trust the UK?

"IF" she gets kicked out I'll agree with you :-| ............

But we both know that ain't going to happen ;-) ......

My suspicion it's either a incompetent Civil Servant or she filled in the forms incorrectly..... accidentally......or on purpose........We'll never know :-| ........

747 - 2019-09-08 12:51 PM

Steady on Dave. Our friends on here feel the need to get on their high horse regularly. Deny them that outpouring and they will defect to Facebook and Twitter, thus denying us their pearls of wisdom. 8-)

I do go on Facebook and Twaatter, I only come on here for a bit of fun. :-D

Nothing less than i expected from them and typically Pelmet has neither viewed the vid clip or read the linked article. *-)

jumpstart - 2019-09-09 8:25 AM

Doah, it’s the law ,if you don’t like it change the law.

Remember j/start this lady came to UK as a baby in 1964, eleven years before we were in the EEC or Common Market as known. Quite what "the rules" were in the 60's i don't know but on joining the EEC a European citizen automatically acquired permanent residence after five years. She had done more than double that by then. She worked here, paid all her taxes here, holds an NI number so if the HO decide she's now "an illegal" then our tax authorities must also be held to account for taking her tax payments.

She provided a whole ton of evidence proving her years of residence, so hefty in weight it cost £35 in postal charges to mail, yet the HO dismiss it with a curt "insufficient evidence". They need to explain why bank statements, employment, NI number, and tax returns etc are "insufficient".

UK authorities have always been a 'mish mash' with one dept saying one thing whilst another dept says the absolute opposite. When my ex-wife first came to UK we were told by the UK Consulate in Geneva (shes Swiss) she would have to register at a local police station here. I was surprised to be told this as it sounded more like something out of ex-DDR days....but hey, these Consular guys are the 'officials' so they know best. We did as we were told and went along to the local police with her passport, birth certificate and every other bit of proof of id......where we were met with looks of total incredulity and astonishment by the station desk office staff who said (and i quote) "we've never heard of such nonsense, you've been told wrong...go away and forget about it". So we did.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-09-09 12:38 PM

jumpstart - 2019-09-09 8:25 AM

Doah, it’s the law ,if you don’t like it change the law.

Remember j/start this lady came to UK as a baby in 1964, eleven years before we were in the EEC or Common Market as known. Quite what "the rules" were in the 60's i don't know but on joining the EEC a European citizen automatically acquired permanent residence after five years. She had done more than double that by then. She worked here, paid all her taxes here, holds an NI number so if the HO decide she's now "an illegal" then our tax authorities must also be held to account for taking her tax payments.

She provided a whole ton of evidence proving her years of residence, so hefty in weight it cost £35 in postal charges to mail, yet the HO dismiss it with a curt "insufficient evidence". They need to explain why bank statements, employment, NI number, and tax returns etc are "insufficient".

UK authorities have always been a 'mish mash' with one dept saying one thing whilst another dept says the absolute opposite. When my ex-wife first came to UK we were told by the UK Consulate in Geneva (shes Swiss) she would have to register at a local police station here. I was surprised to be told this as it sounded more like something out of ex-DDR days....but hey, these Consular guys are the 'officials' so they know best. We did as we were told and went along to the local police with her passport, birth certificate and every other bit of proof of id......where we were met with looks of total incredulity and astonishment by the station desk office staff who said (and i quote) "we've never heard of such nonsense, you've been told wrong...go away and forget about it". So we did.

Looks like we're making our residency rules the same as the EU's for those from a non EU country ;-) .......

So what's the problem?..........If it's OK for the EU to impose similar rules on Non EU countries citizens then it seems perfectly acceptable for us to follow suit :-| .........

Have I complained about having to follow different rules in order to stay for 90+days in Spain post Brexit? ............Nope :D ..........

Violet1956 - 2019-09-09 1:27 PM

There’s insufficient information in the video and in the article in the links provided by BG to work out what went wrong here.

The HO need to explain what was so "insufficient" as tax returns, NI number, proof of employment, bank statements, etc.

Not quite the same, but i'm opening another bank account at a different bank later today. All i need show them are my two bank cards from the bank i'm transferring from. I doubt they will need to know or ask how long i've lived here.

I wouldn’t assume that what she provided was sufficient to show that she had acquired a right of permanent residence under EU law based on either the video or the article BG. She seems to think she had applied for citizenship, which she clearly hadn’t. That said it is clearly a very stressful and distressing situation for her and her family to be in. She needs a lawyer not a journalist.

Violet1956 - 2019-09-09 1:50 PM

I wouldn’t assume that what she provided was sufficient to show that she had acquired a right of permanent residence under EU law based on either the video or the article BG. She seems to think she had applied for citizenship, which she clearly hadn’t. That said it is clearly a very stressful and distressing situation for her and her family to be in. She needs a lawyer not a journalist.

Based on the items she said she sent them (NI number, tax returns, wage slips, proof of employment/s) plus God knows what else she sent them....£35 is one heck of postal weight, i'd want two answers to to very simple questions from the HO. 1) State what is "insufficient" about the evidence sent and 2) why have UK tax authorities willingly taken tax payments over X number of years from a person they now class as unable to prove herself as “a qualified person either as a worker, a self-employed person, a student, a jobseeker, or a self-sufficient person”? She ran her own damn business for 20 years before working in the NHS etc!

Yes i agree about the lawyer bit. From what i've read off various solicitors websites about these cases, this ladys case is not isolated, they are dealing with an increasing number. There's going to be some pretty hefty settlements made after this debacle and unfortunately it's the taxpayer who will pay for it.....in other words if she takes legal action and wins her case, she will have paid toward her own settlement. I think that's wrong....let the HS be held to account on footing the bill then that might wake 'em up when faced with a bill in the hundreds of thousands.

Regards what i mentioned previous, re opening new bank account....pile of questions but one in partic jumped out. Reading from the onscreen menu she came to the question, "resident in UK".......and she answered it for me by clicking "yes" without even asking me! I could have been "pulling a Pelmet dodge" for all she knew! All other detail was done purely from my credit and debit cards.....nothing else.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-09-09 5:58 PM

Regards what i mentioned previous, re opening new bank account....pile of questions but one in partic jumped out. Reading from the onscreen menu she came to the question, "resident in UK".......and she answered it for me by clicking "yes" without even asking me! I could have been "pulling a Pelmet dodge" for all she knew! All other detail was done purely from my credit and debit cards.....nothing else.

Resident in the UK doesn't mean you are a citizen :-| .........

From what I've read it appears to be another example of a incompetent civil servant ;-) .........

One can only imagine the strain on Home Office resources due to Brexit. I fear that they have had to take their eye off the ball regarding illegal entrants in order to process thousands of cases like these.

And Bullet and Pelmet may both be right. It could be a wrong decision and she could be entitled to permanent residence. She has a right of appeal. What is definitely a slam dunk is that she is a spouse of a British citizen and has two British children that alone should see her home and dry.

Violet1956 - 2019-09-09 6:51 PM

One can only imagine the strain on Home Office resources due to Brexit. I fear that they have had to take their eye off the ball regarding illegal entrants in order to process thousands of cases like these.

And Bullet and Pelmet may both be right. It could be a wrong decision and she could be entitled to permanent residence. She has a right of appeal. What is definitely a slam dunk is that she is a spouse of a British citizen and has two British children that alone should see her home and dry.

Well that was when we were a humane country but that seems to have gone down the pan.

Other cases as well such as the 34 year old Afghan interpreter who risked his life working with British military forces for 16 years, refused the right to live in UK. We wage war with these countries, take any help we can get from locals, then throw it back at them when we've finished using them......then wonder why they don't like us. Why should they?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-army-immigration-afghan-military-interpreter-right-to-stay-ricky-war-afghanistan-service-a8167871.html

Trevor Rene is another example. Ex-military, lived here ten years, married to British wife, but told to "go back home".

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/people/man-served-british-army-six-years-married-a-british-woman-home-office-visa-deportation-windrush/

Guest pelmetman

Exactly.......It's a cock up ;-) .........

Just goes to show what Drama Queens the Loser Brigade are :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-09-10 9:04 AM

You let yourself down with silly flippant remarks such as this. You're beneath contempt.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-09-10 3:37 PM

pelmetman - 2019-09-10 9:04 AM

You let yourself down with silly flippant remarks such as this. You're beneath contempt.

Flipping heck Bullet you are a flipping d*ckhead >:-) .......

Archived