Its difficult to resist telling people what to do - who'd be a COVID-19 Marshall?

StuartO

Our local Coop had a one way system which works very well as long as people don't ignore it, which every time I've been in there somebody is doing. You are supposed to follow the one way all the way to the end, then queue for the tills but if it's not busy and there's no till queue the natural thing is to take a short cut directly to a till, which in some cases, to take the shortest route, goes to the lengths of going back upstream through other shoppers.

I find it difficult to resist pointing out to people who are going the wrong way that they are doing so. But I'm wasting my time because they don't listen and they don't behave any less selfishly or lazily, putting old folks like me at risk. Sometimes it is an old person who's doing it. Too many people are plain selfish and lazy. They don't seem to realise or care that if everyone follwed all the guidelines all the time the outreak would be over much quicker, for their benefit as well as everyone else's

I can't see that COVID-19 Marshalls will have any better success at getting people to conform.

I'm going to try harder to mind my own business, ignore any transgressions which confront me and keep away from shops altogether.

Wearing masks and distancing fine but we surely can’t go into another lockdown. We owe it to the very young to be able to go to school or it will create havoc with their future. We will just have to get on with it and if more people die so be it. We can’t just stop everything all the time .Covid will not suddenly disappear.

I’m just about to complete on my house sale so will be living in the Motorhome probably till Christmas whilst touring and looking for a house. So a new lockdown wouldl be a major problem.

If you are at risk (or even if you are not) its maybe best to try and avoid shopping completely. The only shop we go in now is the Butchers once a week in Richmond. I would rather Mrs D didnt even go there to be honest but she insists and its very small with only two allowed in at any time and screens up. Apart from that since March all our shopping is done online and delivered. If you have not got into that practice you maybe should especially with a possible second wave coming and winter.

Missing out on shopping altogether seems going a bit too far for me. Apparently the risk of contactin the virus from packaging is extremely small,and I reduce it further by wearing absorbent cotton gloves.

All the studies I have seen show by far the greatest risk is from breathing in airborne virus when people are indoors, increasing risk when close proximity to each other, increasing risk when its for more than a few seconds, and - most of all - when they are facing each other.

Which is why this second wave was inevitable and widely predicted when they re opened the pubs and restaurants. Youngsters will go in with no inhibitions, get the virus but survive - and pass it on to older folks who won't.

I was shocked after walking round Oban's windswept harbour where distancing is 2m, to see a sign at the door of the pub saying you are now entering a 1m distancing area - and nobody seemed to be taking any notice of even that.

BoJo even made sure of a second wave by subsidising their visits with our money.

The High Street and Casual Dining Sector was already in crisis before covid.

We have to face the sad fact we have too many shops, pubs and restaurants so some need to close.

Subsidising no hoper businesses, fraudsters, and well capitalised chains that would have survived anyway, has bought us little more than a mountain of debt and a second wave of covid.

John52 - 2020-09-13 3:04 PM

Missing out on shopping altogether seems going a bit too far for me. Apparently the risk of contactin the virus from packaging is extremely small,and I reduce it further by wearing absorbent cotton gloves.

All the studies I have seen show by far the greatest risk is from breathing in airborne virus when people are indoors, increasing risk when close proximity to each other, increasing risk when its for more than a few seconds, and - most of all - when they are facing each other.

Which is why this second wave was inevitable and widely predicted when they re opened the pubs and restaurants. Youngsters will go in with no inhibitions, get the virus but survive - and pass it on to older folks who won't.

I was shocked after walking round Oban's windswept harbour where distancing is 2m, to see a sign at the door of the pub saying you are now entering a 1m distancing area - and nobody seemed to be taking any notice of even that.

BoJo even made sure of a second wave by subsidising their visits with our money.

The High Street and Casual Dining Sector was already in crisis before covid.

We have to face the sad fact we have too many shops, pubs and restaurants so some need to close.

Subsidising no hoper businesses, fraudsters, and well capitalised chains that would have survived anyway, has bought us little more than a mountain of debt and a second wave of covid.

Missing out on shopping? Do some people actually enjoy supermarket shopping? I must admit I used to enjoy going in some of the larger supermarkets in France just to spend an hour at the Cheese and then the booze sections but going in Morrisons or Sainsburys is not the same. (lol) I cant remember the last time I went into a British Supermarket. Must be years ago.

You are right though. Everything is going to change. A lot of high street shops, pubs and restaurants will not survive as it does all change. It was happening before covid. Our new Tory MP promised to revitalise Bishop Auckland but its been a sh1t hole for years and I predict it will be more so of one now with or without our new Tory MP. Sadly a lot of towns are going to go downhill. Prices for country homes will shoot up as people desert the towns.

Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 3:21 PM

StuartO - 2020-09-13 1:25 PM

They don't seem to realise or care that if everyone followed all the guidelines all the time the outreak would be over much quicker, for their benefit as well as everyone else's.

Bit embarrassing when the rule maker turns out to be the rule breaker!

It may well be that some people have the same problem as me.

Whenever Boris Johnson appears to announce another fantastic or world beating or incredible scheme ( most of which never happen ) he just makes me think of Billy Bunter.

Where have all our politicians, who could be regarded as statesmen, gone ? Of all Johnsons chums I can only take the Chancellor seriously.

Someone really ought to tell them that this is not an election - it's a pandemic - so try looking competent.

:-(

malc d - 2020-09-13 3:38 PM

They don't seem to realise or care that if everyone followed all the guidelines all the time the outreak would be over much quicker, for their benefit as well as everyone else's.

Whenever Boris Johnson appears to announce another fantastic or world beating or incredible scheme ( most of which never happen ) he just makes me think of Billy Bunter.

Where have all our politicians, who could be regarded as statesmen, gone ? Of all Johnsons chums I can only take the Chancellor seriously.

Someone really ought to tell them that this is not an election - it's a pandemic - so try looking competent.

Some resigned once it dawned on them Johnson was pushing a no deal and his boss instructed him to sack those that hadn't gone. Brexiters were cock-a-hoop with glee. It's a circus now with Johnson as the clown and ringmaster Cummings.

Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 4:30 PM

Some resigned once it dawned on them Johnson was pushing a no deal and his boss instructed him to sack those that hadn't gone. Brexiters were cock-a-hoop with glee. It's a circus now with Johnson as the clown and ringmaster Cummings.

This thread is about Covid- 19 . - and the governments handling of it.

Nothing to do with Brexit -

:-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-09-13 5:31 PM

Good luck with that ;-) ........

P1010992.JPG.31c351e6cd9d93d44d770d06bf7be273.JPG

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-09-13 2:18 PM

Wearing masks and distancing fine but we surely can’t go into another lockdown. We owe it to the very young to be able to go to school or it will create havoc with their future. We will just have to get on with it and if more people die so be it. We can’t just stop everything all the time .Covid will not suddenly disappear.

I’m just about to complete on my house sale so will be living in the Motorhome probably till Christmas whilst touring and looking for a house. So a new lockdown wouldl be a major problem.

Concur for the very young ;-) ......

Not convinced that the educationional brainwashing machine should last beyond 16 for the majority :-| .........

So are you hoping for a downturn in the Bricks & Morter Market? :D ...........

Good luck with your gamble 8-) ..........

PS I hear London is getting cheaper by the day >:-) .........

But the Government's handling of Covid- 19 is inseparable from Brexit

It started when they disbanded the pandemic control department to focus on Brexit.

... and by focusing on Brexit they missed the chance to stop the virus in the early stages

Then they decided not to join the EU PPE procurement plan etc

...because BoJo said he do it all better without the EU *-)

Answering your question Malc..."Where have all our politicians, who could be regarded as statesmen, gone ?".....which actually has everything to do with Brexit when you look at the ones which resigned.

Johnson wanted to be PM (he fantasised about being World King as a kid remember) and didn't care how he got it. Now he's got the position he can't handle it......as everyone was forewarned by those that best knew him, not to mention his atrocious work history both before and during his political career which should have set the alarm bells off.

Johnson will be the author of his own downfall but he's on a mission to wreck the country before he's gone.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 7:13 PM

Answering your question Malc..."Where have all our politicians, who could be regarded as statesmen, gone ?".....which actually has everything to do with Brexit when you look at the ones which resigned.

Johnson wanted to be PM (he fantasised about being World King as a kid remember) and didn't care how he got it. Now he's got the position he can't handle it......as everyone was forewarned by those that best knew him, not to mention his atrocious work history both before and during his political career which should have set the alarm bells off.

Johnson will be the author of his own downfall but he's on a mission to wreck the country before he's gone.

Where as you have achieved what? ;-) .........

P1010899.JPG.c21a438c93530be54f5a76307e29cf14.JPG

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 7:16 PM

I'm not Prime minister, neither was i amongst the fools that voted to put Johnson where he is. The mess is entirely of your own making but not one of you is man enough to admit you've cocked up big time and you're so irresponsible, you expect someone else to clear up the mess you lot have created. The day of reckoning will come when your lot are held to account.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 7:31 PM

I'm not Prime minister, neither was i amongst the fools that voted to put Johnson where he is. The mess is entirely of your own making but not one of you is man enough to admit you've cocked up big time and you're so irresponsible, you expect someone else to clear up the mess you lot have created. The day of reckoning will come when your lot are held to account.

What mess? :-S ........

I only see a country dealing with a Communist germ, along with every other country on the planet ;-) .......

Your Commie chums f*cked up and let their virus loose by mistake before they could turn it into a proper weapon :-| ........

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 7:40 PM

The mess your lot and you have put the country in with Brexit. As for the shoddy handling of the pandemic i'd hang my head in shame if i'd voted for that bunch of inept loons, first ignoring the warnings over pandemic preparedness strategy as drawn up by your Tory government but ignored, the lax attitude over lockdown, PPE contracts to Johnsons chums whilst ignoring experienced suppliers, the third highest fatality rate in the world........yet you fawn over Johnson and co as though they can do no wrong......purely because you pinned your hopes on him to take you out of the EU to those Sunlit uplands. No other reason. You care not a jot about the cost, human and financial, but don't want to be held to account for everything that goes wrong.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 8:05 PM

The mess your lot and you have put the country in with Brexit. As for the shoddy handling of the pandemic i'd hang my head in shame if i'd voted for that bunch of inept loons, first ignoring the warnings over pandemic preparedness strategy as drawn up by your Tory government but ignored, the lax attitude over lockdown, PPE contracts to Johnsons chums whilst ignoring experienced suppliers, the third highest fatality rate in the world........yet you fawn over Johnson and co as though they can do no wrong......purely because you pinned your hopes on him to take you out of the EU to those Sunlit uplands. No other reason. You care not a jot about the cost, human and financial, but don't want to be held to account for everything that goes wrong.

So Scotland and Wales with a fraction of the population of England have managed better? ;-) ........

Just to add, why are you folk Oooop Norf doing far worse than us folk Doooown Souf? >:-) .......

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg.22578076db9df78690cb2df3be65e108.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 8:19 PM

So Scotland and Wales with a fraction of the population of England have managed better? ;-) ........

Just to add, why are you folk Oooop Norf doing far worse than us folk Doooown Souf? >:-) .......

Citation needed on both claims. You're doing the same as you always do.....throwing out wild claims based on conjecture with no statistics from a reliable and credible source. Also, i shouldn't need remind you but Johnson is PM of UK, not England alone.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 8:57 PM

Citation needed on both claims. You're doing the same as you always do.....throwing out wild claims based on conjecture with no statistics from a reliable and credible source. Also, i shouldn't need remind you but Johnson is PM of UK, not England alone.

Do I need to remind you that the response to the virus is the responsibilty of the those devovled governments ;-) ........

BTW how has Scotland and Wales done when compared to countries with similar sized populations like New Zealand? :-| ..........

PS.........We've had a slight increase down here since you scanky Northern folk were allowed back down here :D .......

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18650810.rise-coronavirus-cases-dorset-but-rates-remain-very-low/

Actually most of the statesmen- like Tories were kicked out by Johnson some time after the referendum - and when Corbyn ' led ' the Labour party, they didn't have any.

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 9:17 PM

Do I need to remind you that the response to the virus is the responsibilty of the those devovled governments ;-) ........

BTW how has Scotland and Wales done when compared to countries with similar sized populations like New Zealand? :-| ..........

PS.........We've had a slight increase down here since you scanky Northern folk were allowed back down here :D .......

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18650810.rise-coronavirus-cases-dorset-but-rates-remain-very-low/

1) Absolute rubbish. Devolved doesn't make them independent from UK government hence the reason the SNP wants a referendum for Scotland. Johnson is PM of the United Kingdom and the clue is in the last two words. Your blame shift game won't work.

2) As you prefer to compare similar size population then we can use Thailand (pop 69m).......3,473 case and 58 deaths. UK......368,504 cases and 41,628 deaths.

3) Your link is meaningless and shows absolutely nothing about what you claimed.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-09-13 9:45 PM

pelmetman - 2020-09-13 9:17 PM

1) Absolute rubbish. Devolved doesn't make them independent from UK government hence the reason the SNP wants a referendum for Scotland. Johnson is PM of the United Kingdom and the clue is in the last two words. Your blame shift game won't work.

2) As you prefer to compare similar size population then we can use Thailand (pop 69m).......3,473 case and 58 deaths. UK......368,504 cases and 41,628 deaths.

3) Your link is meaningless and shows absolutely nothing about what you claimed.

Wots up Dumb Dumb don't you like reality? ;-) .......

Ask Joke52 who is in charge of Chinky Flu response in Jockland if you don't believe me :D .......

Archived