Johnson U turns.....again!

Bulletguy

Yet another rapid U-turn from Johnson after saying only yesterday it was right to bill overseas healthcare staff NHS fees, now scrapped it after "thinking" about it "a great deal". :D

Labour leader Keir Starmer, who called for the fees to be scrapped, declared the move a "victory for common decency". He said: "Boris Johnson is right to have u-turned and backed our proposal to remove the NHS charge for health professionals and care workers.

"This is a victory for common decency and the right thing to do.

"We cannot clap our carers one day and then charge them to use our NHS the next."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnson-forced-scrap-22065455

It shows very effective opposition from Sir Keir Starmer who made the decision for him.... and Johnson listened to common sense yesterday and had his mind changed for him. As Sir Keir said, "This is a victory for common decency and the right thing to do. We cannot clap our carers one day and then charge them to use our NHS the next."

Well done Sir Keir.

Where did our PM say he changed his mind because of Sure Queer Stammer princess ??? ... Sure Queer Stammer is now that powerful he asks a question during PMs Questions and the day after it becomes Government policy ??? ... Lordy , Lordy My

Birdbrain - 2020-05-21 7:16 PM

Where did our PM say he changed his mind because of Sure Queer Stammer princess ??? ... Sure Queer Stammer is now that powerful he asks a question during PMs Questions and the day after it becomes Government policy ??? ... Lordy , Lordy My

It would help if you named the person you refer to correctly as i know nobody by that remark.

Bulletguy - 2020-05-21 7:23 PM

It would help if you named the person you refer to correctly as i know nobody by that remark.

Take it you have no real answer ... Move on then hater

Birdbrain - 2020-05-21 7:38 PM

I can answer if i knew the name of the person you were on about.

Bulletguy - 2020-05-21 7:43 PM

Given youve driven everyone else away and tha's only me and you taking in part in this drivel of yours I thought it might be obvious

Birdbrain - 2020-05-21 7:49 PM

Given youve driven everyone else away and tha's only me and you taking in part in this drivel of yours I thought it might be obvious

Nothing is ever 'obvious' from your odd hip-hop slingo and you don't have to 'take part' at all on any forum thread.

Bulletguy - 2020-05-21 8:00 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-21 7:49 PM

Nothing is ever 'obvious' from your odd hip-hop slingo and you don't have to 'take part' at all on any forum thread.

Lordy ... Und on you go

Perhaps Piers and the Mail gave it a helping hand? What kind of Alice in Wonderland world is this? Me quoting Piers Morgan from the Mail! 8-) Strange times indeed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8340621/Spare-hypocritical-claps-NHS-Prime-Minister.html?fbclid=IwAR3gnrRUTPpfQgBtW-GeM49A7zJDHG025mx5aPkJ39Xf5BplkK_QQTV0byY

Of course with social media being Flooded with images of the two immigrant nurses that saved Johnsons life being billed £625 each for the privilege it maybe helped.

Clearly BoJo did change his mind about letting NHS employees (and care workers in care home) perhaps because of a challenge in Parliament from Sir Kier Starmer, but why are revised decisions always described by partisan journalists as a "U Turn" or that BoJo was "forced" to make the change when he might simply have listened to the arguments and changed his mind? The Guardian headline for example was "Johnson forced to U Turn" or something similar.

For once the BBC coverage on the late news last night report the revised decision as a "change of mind". No partisan criticism implied for a change, just the facts. What a nice change.

I suspect its been a combination of public opinion, Starmer and of course the most powerful of all the media. When their usual supportive rags are having a pop at them they had better listen. Lets fact it, they would not have changed their minds had all these objections not been aired.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-22 11:43 AM

I suspect its been a combination of public opinion, Starmer and of course the most powerful of all the media. When their usual supportive rags are having a pop at them they had better listen. Lets fact it, they would not have changed their minds had all these objections not been aired.

Can you show which "supportive rags" and there is obviously more than one that are having a pop at Government over this ???

A lot of immigrant people who work in the NHS and care homes work part time, sometimes for only a small number of hours among other jobs. Giving them (and their families?) a free ride on NHS services when they (and their families) present a significant cost to the NHS will mean that some will be tempted to do just a token amount of caring or NHS work or even to do it for a token amount of time to get the perk. It suspect it's not a simple problem to solve fairly.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-22 12:13 PM

Can you show which "supportive rags" and there is obviously more than one that are having a pop at Government over this ???

Well I linked to The Mail above and that paper has always being the link of choice on here for the Tory and Brexit supporters by a country mile. Not so much these days though eh? (lol)

Even the Express has covered it with their own Tory Spin on it of course.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1285534/piers-morgan-boris-Johnson-migrant-surcharge-NHS-government-pmq

StuartO - 2020-05-22 11:28 AM

Clearly BoJo did change his mind about letting NHS employees (and care workers in care home) perhaps because of a challenge in Parliament from Sir Kier Starmer, but why are revised decisions always described by partisan journalists as a "U Turn"....

Because that's exactly what it was. Even the Telegraph which has long been 'partisan' to the Tory party used the same term, "Boris Johnson has agreed to scrap an NHS surcharge for migrant health and care workers as Downing Street said the U-turn was influenced by the foreign nurses who saved his life."

StuartO - 2020-05-22 12:18 PM

A lot of immigrant people who work in the NHS and care homes work part time, sometimes for only a small number of hours among other jobs. Giving them (and their families?) a free ride on NHS services when they (and their families) present a significant cost to the NHS will mean that some will be tempted to do just a token amount of caring or NHS work or even to do it for a token amount of time to get the perk. It suspect it's not a simple problem to solve fairly.

I'm lost for words at how on earth you arrive at this conclusion Stuart. Anyone earning over £12,500 pa pays tax and NI starts at £183 per wk. Looking at wage levels for NHS porters (£12,517 pa) and Cleaners (£12,875 pa), both very essential services yet very poorly paid, will contribute. Any working zero hour contracts or minimum weekly hours are the only people who won't be but as if those methods of 'employment' are not punishment enough, why do you want to punish them further?

Fwiw it's also long been known migrants to UK make a total net positive contribution of £27 billion a year to our economy.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-22 12:40 PM

Well I linked to The Mail above and that paper has always being the link of choice on here for the Tory and Brexit supporters by a country mile. Not so much these days though eh? (lol)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1285534/piers-morgan-boris-Johnson-migrant-surcharge-NHS-government-pmq

Oh chuckle ... Thats funny ... Sumat about Piers Morgan is now the Tory press turning on the Tories ... The hate runs deep ion you Barry

Barryd999 - 2020-05-22 10:02 AM

Perhaps Piers and the Mail gave it a helping hand? What kind of Alice in Wonderland world is this? Me quoting Piers Morgan from the Mail! 8-) Strange times indeed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8340621/Spare-hypocritical-claps-NHS-Prime-Minister.html?fbclid=IwAR3gnrRUTPpfQgBtW-GeM49A7zJDHG025mx5aPkJ39Xf5BplkK_QQTV0byY

Of course with social media being Flooded with images of the two immigrant nurses that saved Johnsons life being billed £625 each for the privilege it maybe helped.

If you are going to make accusations at least get you facts right the surcharge is £400.00 not your inflammatory £624.00.

Our present Prime minister is capable of flexibility and will listen to advice given by his party leader and his cabinet to my mind this is preferable to a rigid directive.

He has understood the need to exempt the charge to any NHS migrant worker this is called a democratic stance not a U turn but this does not suit the left wing militants or the federalists in our society.

Constructive criticism is welcome but the constant rants of your ilk shows you up for the failures you are only capable of destruction with no sense of reasonable debate.

teflon2 - 2020-05-22 7:41 PM

If you are going to make accusations at least get you facts right the surcharge is £400.00 not your inflammatory £624.00.

Had it remained in place it would have risen to that amount in October (see linked op).

Our present Prime minister is capable of flexibility and will listen to advice given by his party leader and his cabinet to my mind this is preferable to a rigid directive.

He has understood the need to exempt the charge to any NHS migrant worker this is called a democratic stance not a U turn but this does not suit the left wing militants or the federalists in our society.

He listened to Sir Keir Starmer explaining some common sense and moral decency to him during PMQ's and had time to "think about it" overnight. The right wing Telegraph called it a U-turn....why are you so upset by it? If you think that's 'left wing militant federalist' then that makes you a right wing militant populist.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-22 3:57 PM

Oh chuckle ... Thats funny ... Sumat about Piers Morgan is now the Tory press turning on the Tories ... The hate runs deep ion you Barry

The Telegraph? Most of the papers also ran with it. Its good that Johnson did a U turn but lets be honest, he only did it because of Starmer and his own media moguls reporting on it and possibly a rant from Morgan who is more powerful than people give him credit for. I really dont like Morgan but he has showed some real metal lately hauling some of them over the coals.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-22 9:52 PM

The Telegraph? Most of the papers also ran with it. Its good that Johnson did a U turn but lets be honest, he only did it because of Starmer and his own media moguls reporting on it and possibly a rant from Morgan who is more powerful than people give him credit for. I really dont like Morgan but he has showed some real metal lately hauling some of them over the coals.

Stay off the booze Barry

Birdbrain - 2020-05-23 6:39 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-05-22 9:52 PM

Stay off the booze Barry

Why? Am I wrong? Nope. Do you think Johnson just woke up the next day and said "you know what? That was a bit naughty of me insisting those funny foreigner NHS workers have to pay for healthcare, ill just change that" of his own bat?

Bulletguy - 2020-05-22 8:18 PM

Had it remained in place it would have risen to that amount in October (see linked op).

He listened to Sir Keir Starmer explaining some common sense and moral decency to him during PMQ's and had time to "think about it" overnight. The right wing Telegraph called it a U-turn....why are you so upset by it? If you think that's 'left wing militant federalist' then that makes you a right wing militant populist.

Firstly Barry was quoting now not October.

Oh I'm a lot further right than that, one of the people I admire was Genghis Khan and you don't get much further right than that and do you seriously think that anything on antisocial can upset me dream on.

My understanding of a bullet . Dense inanimate object excited by rapidly expanding gas only use destruction needs direction.

Only my version (lol)

teflon2 - 2020-05-23 6:32 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-22 8:18 PM

Firstly Barry was quoting now not October.

Oh I'm a lot further right than that, one of the people I admire was Genghis Khan and you don't get much further right than that and do you seriously think that anything on antisocial media can upset me dream on.

My understanding of a bullet . Dense inanimate object excited by rapidly expanding gas only use destruction needs direction.

Only my version (lol)

Archived