Just back from a week on the Loire

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Just back from our week in the Loire. It was the first time my wife had her new Wisper electric bike with her and she enjoyed it. The 2 E bikes enabled us to get around in comfort without getting in a sweat or struggling.

We arrived at Blois Aire on the river front, slept in and missed the market as it was pouring with rain Saturday morning. We then moved down to Amboise and stayed on the municipal site on the island. From here we moved to Azay le Rideau a lovely little town, and we stayed on the municipal here as well.

From here we moved to Saumur and joined some other UK vans parked on the quay south of the bridge. All stops were recommended from people on here. The weather was great but once we got to Saumur it deteriorated rapidly and we headed north to le Touquet for the last couple of nights, but unfortunately the bad weather followed us! So all in all a nice break. When we got home the house was suspiciously clean and the teenagers very quiet *-)

And here are some piccys :-D

DSC09000.jpg.2dbbae4bb0fdb343d7cd417d36902747.jpg

DSC09008.jpg.a8dee04c0b9f659667246d500df11de6.jpg

1339571478_DSC09002edit.jpg.590c8e4bb8044943df14c146f1ab9d3a.jpg

DSC09012.jpg.abfc6e4a92c3f805b57bd4c0bcf6bdf1.jpg

DSC09014.jpg.01100ca9bb17f8cb661755b52e77f9ed.jpg

DSC09018.jpg.edf4788373bdb17b722c4f44e935a345.jpg

DSC09027.jpg.2183c686435e3f0a6a0f02a5f3679175.jpg

Lucky ducks. While you were at Saumur did you visit the horse-tack museum, which is in the loft of the Chateau. Brilliant if you are into horses, as is the Cadre Noir, which is the top riding school in france, just outside Saumur.

Mick

Guest JudgeMental
Mick H. - 2009-05-29 3:15 PM

Lucky ducks. While you were at Saumur did you visit the horse-tack museum, which is in the loft of the Chateau. Brilliant if you are into horses, as is the Cadre Noir, which is the top riding school in france, just outside Saumur.

Mick

No Mick, not much of a horse or culture vulture.......Just get dragged around the shops and gardens by Mrs Mental lol. this is my favourite shot, just before a thunder storm let loose while in Saumur. Its really lovely being nice and snug in the van when all hell breaks loose outside!

DSC09028.jpg.3611c00746065360ac29ae467913be25.jpg

Great photos. Pleased that the bike worked for you - had a ride on CarolHymer's once and was amazed at how easy it made the hills seem. I so wish I had a way of carrying one... Guess it won't just be used when away on the motorhome now.

Guest JudgeMental
ROON - 2009-05-30 9:26 AM

Great photos. Pleased that the bike worked for you - had a ride on CarolHymer's once and was amazed at how easy it made the hills seem. I so wish I had a way of carrying one... Guess it won't just be used when away on the motorhome now.

I use mine all the time as the wife takes the car to work. the traffic here in south london is so dire most of my journeys are probably quicker on the E Bike.

If you have a tow bar THULE do a good bike rack, which is more secure and no heavy lifting involved.

Guest JudgeMental

brilliant Tony!

No not me........ some random French to$$er caught red handed trying to nick my bike!

Funny. Last time I was at Saumur in May 2005 it thundered and poured down. Must be a habit round there. Might have something to do with the nuclear power station at Chinon. My daughter had a pen pal once who lived there and we visited (Way back in the 1980s). His uncle worked in this power station and we had a guided tour. I happened to ask what winter was like there and did it snow, the general concensus was that it did in years gone by but not since the power station opened.

Looks like you had a great time all the same.

Guest JudgeMental
Ris - 2009-05-31 1:23 PM

Interested to know if you used the toll roads and if so what "Class" were you charged at.

Yes always in a rush...........Have always been charged Cat 2 (3500kg van). But at approx 3 M high I am aware at automatic exits you can sometimes be charged as Cat 3

Thanks for your reply, we are 4,500 kgs, double axle and like you just over 3mtrs high. Last 2 years always class 2 but concerned now may be charged higher. Will try a new thread to see what others have experienced.

Archived