Just to make you even more miserable!

Guest caraprof

Guest caraprof
Europe bakes in summer heatwave
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44019000/jpg/_44019910_macedonia1_afp203b.jpg 
South-eastern Europe is sweltering as a heatwave continues, with fears of further power cuts and forest fires.

The mercury is tipped to hit 40C in Greece, Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia, but temperatures have eased slightly in many areas affected by the heat.

Macedonia's president declared a state of emergency as fires raged

Greece's electricity grid is close to breaking point as demand soars and searing temperatures evaporate rivers used to create hydro-electric power.

Up to 500 people have died in the heat in Hungary and 30 in Romania.

Caraprof I agree with you in that we think we've got it bad.

Yes I feel sorry for the people in Glos, Berks, Oxon and surrounds,etc.etc.etc but my main complaint is:-

Where were they when we had it all in Yorkshire. I don't remember any army trucks bringing fresh water for the people of Hull and surrounding areas. We still have friends in "Toll Bar" - Doncaster area - who have lost everything, but hey ho that was last months news,and after all we are north of the famous "Watford Gap"

I suppose we are made of sterner stuff "Up North"

Rant Over

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-07-25 10:23 PM

Caraprof I agree with you in that we think we've got it bad.

Yes I feel sorry for the people in Glos, Berks, Oxon and surrounds,etc.etc.etc but my main complaint is:-

Where were they when we had it all in Yorkshire. I don't remember any army trucks bringing fresh water for the people of Hull and surrounding areas. We still have friends in "Toll Bar" - Doncaster area - who have lost everything, but hey ho that was last months news,and after all we are north of the famous "Watford Gap"

I suppose we are made of sterner stuff "Up North"

Rant Over

Thai

I think that you'll find that Gloucester and Tewkesbury are in fact north of Watford Gap.

Were you actually cut off? Did you lose electricity and water supplies? Could you still get to the shops for food/water/goodies ........... ?

'Down here' places are isolated due to being surrounded by up to 20 feet of water ...... your interior doors are 9 feet tall to give you an idea of how much 20 feet is .......... animals are dying, kennels are desperate to rehouse boarding/rescue dogs and cats, there aren't enough people who can drive heavy goods vehicles to refill the bowsers on streets in Stroud etc.. Essential services are working 24 hours ........

And I heard that people were cleaning their mops in the bowsers having forced off the lids ...... which contaminated fresh drinking water GRRR!

Any flooding is awful. We were cut off in the snow in 1981 and the feeling of isolation after 36 hours was scarey - fortunately it melted gently so no flooding.

If people can still move around the streets then it's up to them to help others, don't rely on essential services as they are already stretched.

I think that the biggest problem is not the North South divide but the fact that although we all know, and have experienced, weather the slightest "out of the ordinary" occurence has the government and their allies looking like rabbits caught in the headlights.

Then we get the finger pointing - the wrong kind of snow, too much rain etc - but no acceptance of responsibility and definitely no learning the lesson.

Many of our continental neighbours have similar conditions and they all seem to cope with them. Maybe down to the fact that they have tried and tested disaster plans. Given that we are now all friends, since 1945, I would have thought that we could have drawn on their expertise.

Instead of which it's always the poor consumer on the end of the line who has to pick up the pieces, and the bill.

;-)

And now we're going to have a tax on patio heaters, it seems!

You can just picture it, can't you?

Couple of government bods, banished outside to have a fag, thinking of new ways to rip off the British tax-payer, they look up - and what do they see? A patio heater. Not much imagination needed as to what happened next! 8-)

Dave Newell - 2007-07-26 4:06 PM

Well come on Jan, patio heaters are a ridiculous idea after all (lol) .

D.

Oh I totally agree, Dave, it's just so comical that they are scratching around for new ways to extort money out of us. Remember when we used to be taxed on mobile phones?

Apparently they now also want to increase the cost of our alcohol, presumably to make up the shortfall in the fag revenue.

It's enuf to drive you to drink - if you could afford it, that is

*-)

J9withdogs - 2007-07-26 12:15 PM

It always seems to follow that, the closer to London a problem gets, the more attention it suddenly gets, or is that just me being cynical *-)

I agree for weeks Don Dave & others have been telling me what's happening up north of us.

Nothing on the news at this end we use Sky . Then just end of last week actually more this week we get to here is it because it's now affecting where the fat cats drink their milk ? London ?

Archived