Kindness

Guest tc102

It was kind of Michele to mention that I'd helped her with her camera choice and she hasn't been the only one but in case any one wishes to infer from this that I use this site for business, in each case I refuse to supply the products and suggest that they buy them from whomever they feel comfortable with.

But just to prove once and for all that I am not some sort of totally miserable git, here is a small incident that happened yesterday.

A woman who works for me at my branch in Carlisle is retiring soon. She has worked for me since I acquired the business about 14 years ago and had been there many years before that.

As is my custom in such cases I drove to Carlilse to take her out for a slap-up lunch. Naturally, I shall deduct the cost from her final salary payment.

Whilst walking to the restaurant I spotted a nice loooking old gentleman who was sitting (sitting Crinkly, not sat) on a bench just outside of my shop, which is in 'The Lanes' shopping centre.

On the way back two hours later I noticed that he was still there so I naturally enquired as to whether he was well.

He told me that his house is so very cold that he is in the habit of spending his days in the shopping centre or in other public buildings.

Immediately my built-in kindness gene kicked in and I told him that, if he suffered so much from cold that he should do as I would do under such circumstances, which is to go off to Barbados for a month or two until the weather improves.

Before he could speak I popped a £1 coin in his hand and told him to use half to phone his broker to liquidate a bit of capital and the other half to phone a good travel agent who would sort it all out for him.

As I walked away, not wishing to be embarrassed by his reaction to my generosity I could see his mouth opening and closing in a sort of frustrated attempt to form the right words to adequately thank me.

Before finishing, does anyone know if I can write off the pound on next year's tax return. I'm sure that donations to charity can be included and surely this would qualify?

To answer your question, I don't think you can claim the tax back because I fear the chap was a beggar and not a registered charity.

I also think you should inform the Benefits Agency he is now in receipt of a boost to his savings. Any increase in this might take him over the benefit limits for savngs and they may be able to reduce these and reduce taxes.

I also think you should also let the council know that people are lounging around in the mall, they could reduce the temp. of the heating and not only will this save a few bob on the rates it will then encourage these lazy beggars to get out and get a job. Afterall if they can get out to town everyday they are fit enough to work.

Old people are always first in the queue when money is handed out, claiming some ailment or other, yet they can all turn out to lobby parliament at the first sign of any threat to their handouts.

It's not the fault of us young people they fought a war instead of looking to the future and building up their pension.

Well done for your gesture and can I nominate you for a community award?

>:-)

Guest JudgeMental
Tomo3090 - 2007-10-13 2:38 PM

To answer your question, I don't think you can claim the tax back because I fear the chap was a beggar and not a registered charity.

I also think you should inform the Benefits Agency he is now in receipt of a boost to his savings. Any increase in this might take him over the benefit limits for savngs and they may be able to reduce these and reduce taxes.

I also think you should also let the council know that people are lounging around in the mall, they could reduce the temp. of the heating and not only will this save a few bob on the rates it will then encourage these lazy beggars to get out and get a job. Afterall if they can get out to town everyday they are fit enough to work.

Old people are always first in the queue when money is handed out, claiming some ailment or other, yet they can all turn out to lobby parliament at the first sign of any threat to their handouts.

It's not the fault of us young people they fought a war instead of looking to the future and building up their pension.

Well done for your gesture and can I nominate you for a community award?

>:-)

Blimey Frank, looks like you have found a soul mate at last on this forum....

Tomo3090 - 2007-10-13 2:38 PM To answer your question, I don't think you can claim the tax back because I fear the chap was a beggar and not a registered charity. I also think you should inform the Benefits Agency he is now in receipt of a boost to his savings. Any increase in this might take him over the benefit limits for savngs and they may be able to reduce these and reduce taxes. I also think you should also let the council know that people are lounging around in the mall, they could reduce the temp. of the heating and not only will this save a few bob on the rates it will then encourage these lazy beggars to get out and get a job. Afterall if they can get out to town everyday they are fit enough to work. Old people are always first in the queue when money is handed out, claiming some ailment or other, yet they can all turn out to lobby parliament at the first sign of any threat to their handouts. It's not the fault of us young people they fought a war instead of looking to the future and building up their pension. Well done for your gesture and can I nominate you for a community award? >:-)

What a bright man! If the centre's heating was turned down it may drive customers into our slightly warmer shops and of course the reduced heating bill will reflect in lower service charges.

Personally I'd remove all the seats that encourage these old soldiers to come in and sit down all day when they could be off in Barbados getting a nice tan.

Guest Tracker

Yeah OK Frank but if Barbados was that full of old soldiers and worthy beggars would even you with your magnificently benefactoral penchant be able to afford to go there and continue with your invaluable but expensive good works?

The company would be good and the feeling of being such a worthy person would be such a wonderful experience that I am even tempted to do it myself but on a much smaller scale of course you understand me being that much less wealthy and less benefactorially (new word alert) inclined than your good self?

What you should have done,was to have a thick hoodie type fleece, printed with your shop details and made the old bugger wear it. Not only would you be getting some cheap advertising, but the cost would be deductable as advertising costs.

As an added benefit, as he would be wearing a hoodie, security would keep moving him on, thus broadening your advertising area,and keeping him warm.

Result.

donna miller - 2007-10-13 4:31 PM What you should have done,was to have a thick hoodie type fleece, printed with your shop details and made the old bugger wear it. Not only would you be getting some cheap advertising, but the cost would be deductable as advertising costs. As an added benefit, as he would be wearing a hoodie, security would keep moving him on, thus broadening your advertising area,and keeping him warm. Result.

I hadn't realised that this site had so many astute businessmen and women. Thank you all for you suggestions. I have already spoken to the MD of one of my larger suppliers and he has agreed to sponsor the hoodies as long as we allow him to place a logo on it.

Not only can we give away a hoodie but we might even make a margin on it.

Archived