Laptop Batteries

Bazza454

After 2 years i've had to replace the battery on my Sony Vaio at a cost of over £70 - Ouch, so before I started to use the new one I did what Dave Newell often recommends - RTFI, Read the etc, etc.

Checking the Vaio manual Sony recommend fully charging the battery before use, then don't recharge until it is completely empty, do this 3 times and then the battery should be fully conditioned.

They also recommend that if you are using the laptop from the mains and the battery is fully charged, then you should take the battery off the laptop, apparantly leaving it attached in this condition seriously reduces the life of the battery.

Being a "numpty" I always assumed that the laptop wouldn't work if the battery wasn't attached - learn something new every day.....     

I was aware that keeping the battery in whilst using attached to mains could shorten the battery life but we were advised to do this as it means that if we have a power cut the Laptop just automatically switches over to battery. So no loss of function data etc.

Very important to us here as we run a business as well as chat! 8-)

The battery on my Dell Inspirion has just gone after 4 years and the have replacements on ebay for about £30.

As we upgrade about every three years (just bought a new Acer Travelmate) this is the first battery that we have had to replace and we are going to do so because the Dell is still very good - if looking tatty as its paint is al worn off at the front by my wrists - and it and the defunct battery has saved my bacon several times when we have power surges and cuts.

I no longer use a PC because of this and all the other advantages a laptop has over a static PC - laptops are far more flexible in my view and Wi Fi is truly fantastic.

Word of caution about replacement batteries, Clive.

I recently looked around for an extra battery for my Acer netbook. The supplied battery is a small one and only lasts a couple of hours so I wanted one with more capacity.

I found that the cheaper batteries tend to have less capacity and short warranties. Also, especially on eBay, many of the cheaper ones come from Hong Kong, which might cause difficulties if anything goes wrong.

I ended up buying from a company called Superetrader in Altrincham, http://www.superetrader.co.uk/. Cost a few quid more but it is a 12 month warranty and a properly registered company. Battery works very well :-)

Graham

Many thanks Graham - i will check this out - as yet I have not bought from ebay as frankly i wanted a bit more "security"!!!

£30 is "cheap" that rapidly becomes expensive if it fails or causes other problems. But that said my son buys such and has no problems. But I often have a different set of "luck" parameters (lol) (lol) (lol)

Bazza454 - 2009-09-11 10:39 AM

Hi Clive,

We use an Acer Netbook when on our travels and bought an extended battery (7200 mAh) from this company, fully charged this gives us around 9 hours usage.

http://www.global-batteries.co.uk/index.php 

No problems with payment or delivery which was from Hong Kong. 

Glad you had a good experience but if they are shipping from Hong Kong why do they say on their web site that they "are located in United Kingdom" and that shipping is by Royal Mail?Maybe I have a too suspicious mind :-D Graham

GJH - 2009-09-13 6:00 PM
Bazza454 - 2009-09-11 10:39 AM

Hi Clive,

We use an Acer Netbook when on our travels and bought an extended battery (7200 mAh) from this company, fully charged this gives us around 9 hours usage.

http://www.global-batteries.co.uk/index.php 

No problems with payment or delivery which was from Hong Kong. 

Glad you had a good experience but if they are shipping from Hong Kong why do they say on their web site that they "are located in United Kingdom" and that shipping is by Royal Mail? Maybe I have a too suspicious mind :-D Graham

Absolutely no idea Graham, but they are based in the UK, the parcel was delivered by Royal Mail although it was shipped from Hong Kong - main thing is that it works well and 9 hours on a full charge is about as good as it gets at the moment,

Regards, Barry.

Bazza454 - 2009-09-13 8:30 PMAbsolutely no idea Graham, but they are based in the UK, the parcel was delivered by Royal Mail although it was shipped from Hong Kong - main thing is that it works well and 9 hours on a full charge is about as good as it gets at the moment,

Regards, Barry.

Seems it will have to remain a mystery Barry :-D Like you say, the main thing is it works OK. The one I bought is 6600mAh and that gives me between 6 & 7 hours which is fine for what I need.Graham

Archived