Last Nights TV

John52

What a contrast between Children living in poverty, and the lifestyle of those supposed to represent them - Prince Andrew.

The thing I don't understand is how did Prince Andrew expect to get away with living in the home of a convicted Paedophile for 5 days in a country where his mum couldn't get it hushed up?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2019-12-03 9:38 AM

They must have a few as they can't live in all their palaces at once?

Get onto them to fill em up then ... Anyone else you know with an empty gaffe or one "they hardly ever use" ???

John52 - 2019-12-03 9:05 AM

What a contrast between Children living in poverty, and the lifestyle of those supposed to represent them - Prince Andrew.

The thing I don't understand is how did Prince Andrew expect to get away with living in the home of a convicted Paedophile for 5 days in a country where his mum couldn't get it hushed up?

I saw the programme. What I thought particularly cruel was the reduction in housing benefit for the woman with two young children because she had a third bedroom. That little girl, coping with a depressed mother, trying to look on the bright side of a forced move far away from her school and her friends on top of the material deprivation she and her little brother had to suffer. We pay our taxes in order for the state to take care of the vulnerable, including the children whose parents are unable to provide for them for whatever reason. It boils down to the willingness of a government to use the revenue from taxation to ensure that one of the wealthiest countries in the world commits to relieving child poverty. The programme also caused me to ask what I can do to relieve such poverty in addition to paying my taxes. Charitable donations are the obvious choice. It remains a matter for the individual’s conscience. I doubt that any of us have all the information necessary to form a judgement as to whether any one of us is doing what we can.

jumpstart - 2019-12-03 1:46 PM

And we’ve got it bad? There are some whose houses are blown up by the state without any legal due process, leaving the families homeless.

Absolutely jumpstart. The woes we have with regard to child poverty and deprivation in the UK bears no resemblance to what is happening in the rest of the world.

Violet1956 - 2019-12-03 1:14 PM

I saw the programme. What I thought particularly cruel was the reduction in housing benefit for the woman with two young children because she had a third bedroom. That little girl, coping with a depressed mother, trying to look on the bright side of a forced move far away from her school and her friends on top of the material deprivation she and her little brother had to suffer. We pay our taxes in order for the state to take care of the vulnerable, including the children whose parents are unable to provide for them for whatever reason. It boils down to the willingness of a government to use the revenue from taxation to ensure that one of the wealthiest countries in the world commits to relieving child poverty. The programme also caused me to ask what I can do to relieve such poverty in addition to paying my taxes. Charitable donations are the obvious choice. It remains a matter for the individual’s conscience. I doubt that any of us have all the information necessary to form a judgement as to whether any one of us is doing what we can.

From the worlds fifth wealthiest nation too. I found it a depressing watch. UN special rapporteur Philip Alstons report on extreme poverty in UK was absolutely spot on and very damning.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/24/un-poverty-expert-hits-back-over-uk-ministers-denial-of-facts-philip-alston

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/68553-001

jumpstart - 2019-12-03 1:46 PM

And we’ve got it bad? There are some whose houses are blown up by the state without any legal due process, leaving the families homeless.

I thought folk in that part of the world are "fair game" ... Nope that would just be innocent Israeli men , women and children are "fair game" to being bombed and left homeless wouldn't it ... Well to be fair just those "Me me me" Jews if were to be honest ... Your not anti-Semitic though , oh no

jumpstart - 2019-12-03 6:28 PM

Which is why I ve always said we need higher taxes not less.

Well if we leave the EU before they can get into Her Majesty's Tax Havens and make the £billionaire 'newspaper' owners pay tax, then I guess it will come from those already struggling in the form of more Tory stealth taxes :-S

Guest pelmetman

So have you ;-) .......

For most of the year *-) ........

No chance of a hypocrite like you leading by example though >:-) ........

Violet1956 - 2019-12-03 1:14 PM

The Government has created an intractable problem by its interventions in the housing market pushing up prices. Many of those working are struggling to pay the rent - and couldn't afford to live in Cambridge. If people can get those things on benefits without working, where is the incentive to work :-S

pelmetman - 2019-12-04 2:10 PM

So have you ;-) .......

Him and Barry by the look of it ... Barrys gaffe is empty 6 months of the year every year ... Be a lovely spot that for a refugee or homeless type to house sit

So have you ;-) .......

No one should have to share a house with a 'hypocrite' like me

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2019-12-04 2:14 PM

So have you ;-) .......

Him and Barry by the look of it ... Barrys gaffe is empty 6 months of the year every year ... Be a lovely spot that for a refugee or homeless type to house sit

It's funny how the same old screechy Liberal Losers never back up their screeching with action *-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-12-04 2:17 PM

So have you ;-) .......

If they were really homeless ;-) ..........

They'd be happy to put up with your hypocrisy >:-) ............

pelmetman - 2019-12-04 2:19 PM

So have you ;-) .......

It's funny how the same old screechy Liberal Losers never back up their screeching with action *-) ...........

Its actually very embarrassing really though isnt it ... I bet when they drop their out of date food off at the food bank they nick the fresh stuff from the needy drunks and druggies

pelmetman - 2019-12-04 2:22 PM

So have you ;-) .......

Least he could do would be let em use his fridge to keep their cider and beers cold

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2019-12-04 2:24 PM

So have you ;-) .......

Least he could do would be let em use his fridge to keep their cider and beers cold

Dunno why someone who is happy to crap in bin bags ;-) .........

Should be bothered by their gaff being used as a Crack house? :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-12-04 2:40 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-12-04 2:24 PM

So have you ;-) .......

Dunno why someone who is happy to crap in bin bags ;-) .........

Should be bothered by their gaff being used as a Crack house? :D ........

(lol) 8-)

So have you ;-) .......

Actually it should be you Tory and Brexit backing lot that start housing the homeless. Are you going to start bringing them in off the streets once your Brexit and Johnson led government sees even more people lose their jobs and homes as a result? You should do. Its going to be your mess, you should own it.

Barryd999 - 2019-12-04 3:34 PM

So have you ;-) .......

Actually it should be you Tory and Brexit backing lot that start housing the homeless. Are you going to start bringing them in off the streets once your Brexit and Johnson led government sees even more people lose their jobs and homes as a result? You should do. Its going to be your mess, you should own it.

Barry you cant deal with the present so dont get too carried away preaching to others what they should and shouldn't do in the future

Barryd999 - 2019-12-04 3:34 PM

So have you ;-) .......

Dream on Barry.....Tweedledum and Tweedledee have been blame shifting from day one. They've never taken responsibility for their actions and don't like being held to account. It's always someone elses fault. :-|

Archived