Lewis Hamilton gets Political

StuartO

Lewis Hamilton supports the outrage among many around the world about deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police (and others) in the USA. And it 's not surprising; he's a man of colour and I see no reason why he shouldn't make use of his worldwide celebrity status to throw his weight behind it all he wants - and he has been clear by the way that he's supporting non-violent actions, not the burning and looting which is curretly being reported.

But Lewis seems to be going beyond that and calling out all others in F1 to make some noise too, rather than remain silent. I can see your silence, he's pointedly saying.

Is this reasonable, demanding of the others in F1 (so far without naming anyone) to speak out and be counted publicly?

Isn't a decison to get political about something a personal one? And don't we all have a right to stay out of politics if we want to - and even to stay out of a particular issue if we choose? Lewis seems to be saying that's not the case - at least with this particular issue, because it's should be universally pressing.

Within 24 hours Charles Leclerc, Daniel Ricciardo, Lando Norris, George Russell, Carlos Sainz, Nicholas Latifi and Sergio Pérez have responded.

Most people in F1 are of course white, or at least non-black. Is Lewis trying to shame F1 people into standing up to support his pro-black cause? Is Lewis playing the race card by calling these people out? And does doing that not demean the anti-racist move he's advocating in the process?

I support the campaign to bring an end to any illegal killings of blacks or any colour of person by the way - and I'm delighted to see Lewis stand up to be counted himself.

Within 24 hours Charles Leclerc, Daniel Ricciardo, Lando Norris, George Russell, Carlos Sainz, Nicholas Latifi and Sergio Pérez had responded.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mmmm ... The death of that fella in America can not be defended but we never hear about the deaths of whites at the hands of US cops ??? ... I wonder why ... Mike Tyson the boxer who I normally have no time for due to his rape conviction actually said something I agree with and that was if whites rioted every time a black person killed a white person then the US would be in trouble ... He has a point ... Lewis isnt a man of colour by the way , hes mixed race and to say hes a man of colour ignores half of his heritage

StuartO - 2020-06-01 4:14 PM

Lewis Hamilton supports the outrage among many around the world about deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police (and others) in the USA. And it 's not surprising; he's a man of colour and I see no reason why he shouldn't make use of his worldwide celebrity status to throw his weight behind it all he wants - and he has been clear by the way that he's supporting non-violent actions, not the burning and looting which is curretly being reported.

But Lewis seems to be going beyond that and calling out all others in F1 to make some noise too, rather than remain silent. I can see your silence, he's pointedly saying.

Is this reasonable, demanding of the others in F1 (so far without naming anyone) to speak out and be counted publicly?

Isn't a decison to get political about something a personal one? And don't we all have a right to stay out of politics if we want to - and even to stay out of a particular issue if we choose? Lewis seems to be saying that's not the case - at least with this particular issue, because it's should be universally pressing.

Within 24 hours Charles Leclerc, Daniel Ricciardo, Lando Norris, George Russell, Carlos Sainz, Nicholas Latifi and Sergio Pérez have responded.

Most people in F1 are of course white, or at least non-black. Is Lewis trying to shame F1 people into standing up to support his pro-black cause? Is Lewis playing the race card by calling these people out? And does doing that not demean the anti-racist move he's advocating in the process?

I support the campaign to bring an end to any illegal killings of blacks or any colour of person by the way - and I'm delighted to see Lewis stand up to be counted himself.

Within 24 hours Charles Leclerc, Daniel Ricciardo, Lando Norris, George Russell, Carlos Sainz, Nicholas Latifi and Sergio Pérez had responded.

I don't think Hamilton needs 'shame' anyone into supporting as there's a lot being shown including footballers as this case is very disturbing. All racism should be stamped out but when they have a racist in the WH, what else do people expect? Having seen the brutal slow murder of George Floyd the outrage doesn't surprise me at all. Not satisfied with murdering a citizen the police also used their patrol cars to ram into people and mow them down, even shooting at journalists fgs.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 8:19 PM

StuartO - 2020-06-01 4:14 PM

I don't think Hamilton needs 'shame' anyone into supporting as there's a lot being shown including footballers as this case is very disturbing. All racism should be stamped out but when they have a racist in the WH, what else do people expect? Having seen the brutal slow murder of George Floyd the outrage doesn't surprise me at all. Not satisfied with murdering a citizen the police also used their patrol cars to ram into people and mow them down, even shooting at journalists fgs.

POTUS Trumps fault then ... How very you ... As yet you havent managed to connect Boris/Tories or Brexit to the killing , no doubt you soon will

Why was Mr Floyds death racist ??? ... His death looks like it was down to police heavy handling/police brutality ??? ... Why is that racist as I cant see any racism on any video I have seen ... Maybe the squads racist clean up man BeeGee can explain ... Those looters in the States just needed new Nike trainers ... Yuk

mtravel - 2020-06-02 11:26 AM

Lewis, the only voice out of the chorus in that trillionary and hypocritical Formula 1 world, has made it possible for someone to theorize 50% racism.

What squalid people are around.

I didn’t really get this post at all - am I being slow?

StuartO - 2020-06-02 8:07 PM

Lewis, the only voice out of the chorus in that trillionary and hypocritical Formula 1 world, has made it possible for someone to theorize 50% racism.

I think its a dig

Lewis and many celebrities giving money to help pay bail for 'protesters' up and down the States are a disgrace ... https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1267705402109632512 ... Scenes like this repeated up and down the country ... Men , women , kids , black , white , old or young attacked by thugs ... The same thugs have probably never even heard of George Floyd

Birdbrain - 2020-06-03 6:19 AM

StuartO - 2020-06-02 8:07 PM

I think its a dig

I gathered that - and indeed that it might be a dig at me for raising this issue - but I didn't get the nature of the criticism being offered. I didn't understand "theorize 50% racism" or why the author thought it squalid, which means completely lacking in morality. Perhaps he's one of these people who thinks all of us are racists unless we identify with and give complete support all non-white resentments. Perhaps he thinks Lewis is entitled to shame everyone who doesn't follow his lead on this issue.

Lewis seems to have calmed down a bit today, acknowledging that he was in a state of rage that it took public demonstrations before the policemen who knelt on the black guy was charged with an offence. I agree with his concerns about that; US police forces have a track record of avoiding grasping nettles of that sort - or even of bending over backwards to avoid doing something - and it's clearly wrong. Policing in the US is a lot more heavy-handed than here in UK (not just with blacks) but even so they do need to get a grip.

Interestingly Lewis talks about "our people" which seems to indicate clearly that he identifies personally with a global community of downtrodden blacks. I saw a video clip on Facebook yesterday by a black Pastor who was outraged, having walked out of a meeting he was having, together with other invited black community representitives, with the State Governor (presumably a white guy), Chief of Police and other big wigs. He took outrage because the Governor had said "My problem with you people is ....." - so he stopped listening, got up, abandonned engaging and walked out. Sat in his car outside he was still fuming and he recorded a video which he wanted "to go viral" expressing his outrage at the Governor's phrase. Not clear whether the other blacks present also walked out, the Pastor didn't say. The Governor's words were perhaps a bit insensitive - but does that alone justify disengaging when the Pastor had an opportunity to engage at that level? Does the Governor have to learn every nuance of the terminology which blacks prefer before talking to someone who is black? Does every nuance have to be such an issue of sensitivity?

Forgive me if I'm using "blacks" and whites" insensitively here, it's not deliberately provocative or offensive, I'm just being descriptive.

Birdbrain - 2020-06-03 8:51 AM

Strong stuff from Tucker ...

... Doesnt defend anyone left or right and he talks much sense

As you say, strong stuff from Fox News - egging Trump on to get a grip and use all necessary force to deal with the violence and its supporters. Not my cup of tea at all. A long time US friend of mine who was a Republican activist for many years has abandonned his Party because of Trump. Unfortunately the Democrat Candidate for the November Election is an old man too, far far from being a radical. The US really needed a younger breath of fresh air as a credible Democrat candidate but it's not going to happen.

StuartO - 2020-06-03 9:15 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-03 8:51 AM

Strong stuff from Tucker ...

... Doesnt defend anyone left or right and he talks much sense

As you say, strong stuff from Fox News - egging Trump on to get a grip and use all necessary force to deal with the violence and its supporters. Not my cup of tea at all. A long time US friend of mine who was a Republican activist for many years has abandonned his Party because of Trump. Unfortunately the Democrat Candidate for the November Election is an old man too, far far from being a radical. The US really needed a younger breath of fresh air as a credible Democrat candidate but it's not going to happen.

POTUS Trump doesnt do it for all Republicans obviously but the flip side is he does it for some Democrats who've jumped ship to support him ... Your quite correct about Biden ... The Democrats whittled it down to Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden , says a lot about the state of that party

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 8:19 PM I don't think Hamilton needs 'shame' anyone into supporting as there's a lot being shown including footballers as this case is very disturbing. All racism should be stamped out but when they have a racist in the WH, what else do people expect? Having seen the brutal slow murder of George Floyd the outrage doesn't surprise me at all. Not satisfied with murdering a citizen the police also used their patrol cars to ram into people and mow them down, even shooting at journalists fgs.

My point was should Lewis be using his celebrity prominence to try to shame other celebrities (etc) into voicing support for his cause?

I agree that racism should be stamped out everywhere but one of the problems in trying to do so is the difficulty of agreeing what is and isn't racism - because there is such apparent over-sensitivity about it sometimes, not just reasonable expression of concern. I'm not suggesting it's just blacks (or should I be saying "people of colour" this week) who are too sensitive, quite the opposite almost; political correctness has led all sorts of individuals to feel entitled to get aroused or angry or worse about racism and to disapprove or even attack people they see as racists. It's just such a touchy subject you can't really risk discussing it lest someone starts snapping at you. As perhaps at me on this thread.

And don't we have to be careful about jumping to conclusions, for example your conclusion that George Floyd was the victim of brutal slow murder? Guilty unless proved inocent is it, because you've watched the video? Did we miss out the bit about having a fair trail before the mob gets to lynch him? I wouldn't want to be defending the policeman but George Floyd was an offender who had done time in prison, a big man who was being arrested for passing a forged note, so maybe the policeman would have needed to restrain him even after getting him handcuffed. Was Mr Floyd continuing to struggle whilst being restrained? Where is the evidence of mens rea, i.e. the intention to kill Mr Floyd? Clearly the policeman faces challenging questions about his method and his intent because Mr Floyd did die but at least he should get a fair hearing. The other policemen who were nearby but didn't intervene (one of whom was black) also have been summarily sacked and face charges - are they guilty until proved innocent too, because you've seen the video?

StuartO - 2020-06-03 1:15 PM

It's just such a touchy subject you can't really risk discussing it lest someone starts snapping at you. As perhaps at me on this thread.

I apologize if I have not been understandable.

I was certainly not referring to you when I spoke of 50% racism.

Was Mr Floyd continuing to struggle whilst being restrained?

Looked liked it to me.

I assumed it was because he couldn't breathe.

Under those circumstances I would have continued to struggle too.

:-|

mtravel - 2020-06-03 1:36 PM

It's just such a touchy subject you can't really risk discussing it lest someone starts snapping at you. As perhaps at me on this thread.

Perhaps you could explain what you did mean.

StuartO - 2020-06-03 2:07 PM

mtravel - 2020-06-03 1:36 PM

Perhaps you could explain what you did mean.

I don't know what which value words and sentences have for you.

I only read that Tyson (although a rapist) is right when he expresses something (shareable) in favor of whites.

Lewis, on the other hand, has no right to express his ideas as "hes mixed race and to say hes a man of color ignores half of his heritage".

This is not simple racism, it is much worse.

Lewis is guilty of being wig.

And of not being 100% wasp because someone dared to mix sacred British blood with something else (moreover of the same nationality).

What future can you expect if certain ways of thinking are not stigmatized ?

Having said that, I have been following Hamilton since the beginning of his career and I respect him as a driver and a man.

I valued Ron Dennis for giving him the chance to prove his worth.

Which, perhaps, no one would have granted him.

Growing up Lewis has been able to express concepts of high moral and human values.

One of the few, something recognized by people that his world has frequented and known for decades.

Just read the specialized foreign press.

On this occasion he has not spread shame on anyone.

He only complained that nobody in his platinum world said anything.

Keep in mind that Liberty Media, today owner of F1 and its business, is American.

I would have added that the current problems in the United States are giving the president a big help in diverting the attention of the population from the catastrophic management of the pandemic.

It is no coincidence that the president himself is riding this horse with constant provocations.

Max

Some of what has been posted as comment on this thread seemed to me to be pretty much racist and I do not condone it - but those who posted those views might think otherwise and they have a right to express their views. I don't believe in "no platforming" people, as students at some universities seem to feel they are entitled to do if they disapprove.

Lewis seems to identify as black and let him do so as far as I'm concerned - and I don't object to him as identifying as white at the same time if he wishes.

The point I was raising however is whether Lewis should be calling people out to support his views or feel embarassed or shamed that they are not doing so - that's too much like oppressive coercion to me. To be fair to Lewis I think he changed his mind today, after he'd cooled down a bit. I thiink he's a great bloke as well as a superb driver; the way he always thanks and praises his team support does him real credit.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 8:19 PM I don't think Hamilton needs 'shame' anyone into supporting as there's a lot being shown including footballers as this case is very disturbing. All racism should be stamped out but when they have a racist in the WH, what else do people expect? Having seen the brutal slow murder of George Floyd the outrage doesn't surprise me at all. Not satisfied with murdering a citizen the police also used their patrol cars to ram into people and mow them down, even shooting at journalists fgs.

My point was should Lewis be using his celebrity prominence to try to shame other celebrities (etc) into voicing support for his cause?

I agree that racism should be stamped out everywhere but one of the problems in trying to do so is the difficulty of agreeing what is and isn't racism - because there is such apparent over-sensitivity about it sometimes, not just reasonable expression of concern. I'm not suggesting it's just blacks (or should I be saying "people of colour" this week) who are too sensitive, quite the opposite almost; political correctness has led all sorts of individuals to feel entitled to get aroused or angry or worse about racism and to disapprove or even attack people they see as racists. It's just such a touchy subject you can't really risk discussing it lest someone starts snapping at you. As perhaps at me on this thread.

And don't we have to be careful about jumping to conclusions, for example your conclusion that George Floyd was the victim of brutal slow murder? Guilty unless proved inocent is it, because you've watched the video? Did we miss out the bit about having a fair trail before the mob gets to lynch him? I wouldn't want to be defending the policeman but George Floyd was an offender who had done time in prison, a big man who was being arrested for passing a forged note, so maybe the policeman would have needed to restrain him even after getting him handcuffed. Was Mr Floyd continuing to struggle whilst being restrained? Where is the evidence of mens rea, i.e. the intention to kill Mr Floyd? Clearly the policeman faces challenging questions about his method and his intent because Mr Floyd did die but at least he should get a fair hearing. The other policemen who were nearby but didn't intervene (one of whom was black) also have been summarily sacked and face charges - are they guilty until proved innocent too, because you've seen the video?

Im struggling with how the death of Mr Floyd was 'racist' ... Looks to me with limited experience in these things its police brutality or something similar but racist ??? ... I didn't see or hear anything racist , did anyone else ??? ... Why was it racist ??? ... It seems like on here when one questions or says something its 'racist' but in reality it isnt ... Maybe those who normally puke out the racist insult can educate me

Birdbrain - 2020-06-03 5:43 PM Im struggling with how the death of Mr Floyd was 'racist' ... Looks to me with limited experience in these things its police brutality or something similar but racist ??? ... I didn't see or hear anything racist , did anyone else ??? ... Why was it racist ??? ... It seems like on here when one questions or says something its 'racist' but in reality it isnt ... Maybe those who normally puke out the racist insult can educate me

I have seen no evidence that the Minesota policeman did anything which definitely made his actions racist and I don't think it's helpful that so many people jump to that conclusion without evidence. His defence might well argue at his trial that he was simply trying to arrest a big man, maybe a known criminal, who was struggling and that it was irrelevant that he was black. But his actions don't look good on camera and it's right that Mr Floyd's death is investigated. It might of course also emerge that the policeman said something racist during the arrest or had a track record of being racist, we don't know. If you watch Reality TV programmes about police work in UK they are shown to have to exercise almost superhuman self-control these days - not least because there is always a risk that someone, black or non-black, has a camera on them - and indeed someone they are dealing with may be deliberately trying to provoke over-reaction or a racist comment for the recording. Doing that sort of thing is of course itself racist behaviour.

Archived