London ...

Birdbrain

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2020-06-14 7:33 AM

Shame on The BBC ... Winston Churchills statue described as 'controversial' ... One presumes that means him also ... Dear oh dear ... You get what ya pay for I suppose

Since the BBC lost Brexit >:-) .........

They have decided to become the BLM propaganda unit *-) .........

They've just put another nail in their Biased Broadcasting Coffin >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-06-14 8:43 AM

Shame on The BBC ... Winston Churchills statue described as 'controversial' ... One presumes that means him also ... Dear oh dear ... You get what ya pay for I suppose

They've just put another nail in their Biased Broadcasting Coffin >:-) ..........

Describing a statue as being controversial is kind of true isnt it? If some people think both Winston and his statue are controversial then doesnt that make it "Controversial"? He was a great leader of course and he deserves credit for the part he played in defeating the Nazis and its right that his statues all over the UK remain but he is still a controversial figure to many. He wasnt perfect, nobody is. Bit of an old racist who despised the Indians and let millions of them starve to death. There is no doubt a lot of British people of Indian descent consider him "controversial". Dont think anyone is suggesting removing his statue but the Beeb are correct if that is how they described him.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-06-14 10:49 AM

Describing a statue as being controversial is kind of true isnt it? If some people think both Winston and his statue are controversial then doesnt that make it "Controversial"? He was a great leader of course and he deserves credit for the part he played in defeating the Nazis and its right that his statues all over the UK remain but he is still a controversial figure to many. He wasnt perfect, nobody is. Bit of an old racist who despised the Indians and let millions of them starve to death. There is no doubt a lot of British people of Indian descent consider him "controversial". Dont think anyone is suggesting removing his statue but the Beeb are correct if that is how they described him.

I thought the BBC was supposed to be impartial ;-) ..........

It's pretty clear from their wall to wall coverage they are not only taking sides......but adding fuel to the fire of a incident that didn't even happen here *-) .........

I'm guessing that the Muppets are pis*ing off more folk, than they are changing minds :-| ..........

They obviously learn't F all from Brexit (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2020-06-14 11:35 AM

I thought the BBC was supposed to be impartial ;-) ..........

It's pretty clear from their wall to wall coverage they are not only taking sides......but adding fuel to the fire of a incident that didn't even happen here *-) .........

I'm guessing that the Muppets are pis*ing off more folk, than they are changing minds :-| ..........

They obviously learn't F all from Brexit (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

I think you are confused about the BBC. Many now say its a Tory mouthpiece, others like you still seem to think its full of lefty propaganda. Occasionally some break ranks like Emily Maitlis but are "dealt with".

Either way, they are not being biased by calling something controversial as it is controversial.

Please show where without doubt Winston Churchill "let millions" of Indians die ??? ... As for him being racist , of course he was as were many others then , prolly most folk ... They males were prolly what we would now describe as sexist n'all and very likely homophobic , so what ??? ... Your putting the past into modern thinking ... Many Muslims are racist now , many sexist , many homophobic but your concern is with a fella dead for years ??? ... Go figure

Birdbrain - 2020-06-14 12:38 PM

Please show where without doubt Winston Churchill "let millions" of Indians die ??? ... As for him being racist , of course he was as were many others then , prolly most folk ... They males were prolly what we would now describe as sexist n'all and very likely homophobic , so what ??? ... Your putting the past into modern thinking ... Many Muslims are racist now , many sexist , many homophobic but your concern is with a fella dead for years ??? ... Go figure

Have I not just defended him? I just dont glorify him as some perfect whiter than white (bit racist there) leader. I am sure you can use google and its no secret about how he felt about the Indians, hundreds of thousands of which fought as commonwealth citizens around the globe in WW2 by the way.

When he diverted the grain away from India which let to three million of them starving he said, and I quote.

“well it’s all their fault anyway for breeding like rabbits. I hate the Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion’.”

Some would say that makes him a bit of a controversial figure (from the past of course).

Barryd999 - 2020-06-14 1:55 PM

Have I not just defended him? I just dont glorify him as some perfect whiter than white (bit racist there) leader. I am sure you can use google and its no secret about how he felt about the Indians, hundreds of thousands of which fought as commonwealth citizens around the globe in WW2 by the way.

When he diverted the grain away from India which let to three million of them starving he said, and I quote.

“well it’s all their fault anyway for breeding like rabbits. I hate the Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion’.”

Some would say that makes him a bit of a controversial figure (from the past of course).

Given your past record for quoting what folk say , like what you claimed Mr Cummings definitely said only for you to backtrack and then say "it sounds like sumat he'd say" I cant put too much faith in your Winston Churchill quote or anything you say to be fair

Birdbrain - 2020-06-14 3:38 PM

Given your past record for quoting what folk say , like what you claimed Mr Cummings definitely said only for you to backtrack and then say "it sounds like sumat he'd say" I cant put too much faith in your Winston Churchill quote or anything you say to be fair

Well seeing as you clearly dont know how google works ill save you the bother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Winston_Churchill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29701767

I dont think any historians dispute it.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-14 4:01 PM

Barry ... Mr Churchill like prolly 99% of folk at that time were 'raciiiiiist' or maybe we might cut them a little slack and say more ignorant ... Totally different times ... As for your links does it mention the Churchill quote you claim he said ??? ... Possible you and your thug mob might get your wish , Mr Churchills granddaughter unbelievably saying maybe put his statue in a museum ... You might win

Birdbrain - 2020-06-14 5:59 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-06-14 4:01 PM

Barry ... Mr Churchill like prolly 99% of folk at that time were 'raciiiiiist' or maybe we might cut them a little slack and say more ignorant ... Totally different times ... As for your links does it mention the Churchill quote you claim he said ??? ... Possible you and your thug mob might get your wish , Mr Churchills granddaughter unbelievably saying maybe put his statue in a museum ... You might win

Yes it does mention it. He did say it. I dont want Churchill removed. The argument on here was whether or not he was a controversial figure and to many he clearly was. The whole statue thing to me is a just a distraction. The knee jerk reactions in the fall out of all this are IMO actually going to create more division. The focus should be on the now and the future not what leaders in a war seventy odd years ago said. We can acknowledge though and educate about the past but we cant change it. The future we can do something about but I cant see how a knee jerk reaction taking down every comedy series that might have poked fun at ethnic minorities or hiding away all our statues will I think just it will make the situation worse.

Archived