Looks like the EU are annoyed.........

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just like the 5th columnists on here are annoyed..... that Brexit Blighty didn't implode and is actually Booming >:-) .........

"Britain must be PUNISHED to show EU states that 'leaving is more damaging than remaining', French PM says"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10145083/Lord-Frost-hits-fishing-row-France.html#comments

(lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2021-10-30 9:32 AM

Just like the 5th columnists on here are annoyed..... that Brexit Blighty didn't implode and is actually Booming >:-) .........

"Britain must be PUNISHED to show EU states that 'leaving is more damaging than remaining', French PM says"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10145083/Lord-Frost-hits-fishing-row-France.html#comments

Desperate or what?

Can you please show me the letter that Macron wrote (as you claim and your Beano claims) where he says and I quote "Britain must be punished for Brexit to show other EU states that 'leaving is more damaging than remaining"

Off you pop.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-10-30 9:52 AM

Desperate or what?

Can you please show me the letter that Macron wrote (as you claim and your Beano claims) where he says and I quote "Britain must be punished for Brexit to show other EU states that 'leaving is more damaging than remaining"

Off you pop.

Just for you and Joke52 :D ............

Meanwhile, the Telegraph reported that French prime minister Jean Castex has written to European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen to encourage Brussels to back Paris’ position against London.

"Mr Castex, according to the newspaper, pressed the European Union to use the “levers at its disposal” and to “make clear…that compliance with the commitments entered into is non-negotiable and that leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it”.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/national/macron-accuses-uk-of-not-showing-credibility-on-brexit-amid-fishing-row-32762/

Desperate or what......indeed >:-) .........

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-10-30 10:08 AM

I think it was very nice of the Daily Mail to give the crew a set of brand new mugs with Union Jacks on them.

They will be the envy of the fleet.

;-)

Especially as its a Scottish boat ;-) ..........

(lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2021-10-30 10:00 AM

Desperate or what?

Off you pop.

Meanwhile, the Telegraph reported that French prime minister Jean Castex has written to European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen to encourage Brussels to back Paris’ position against London.

"Mr Castex, according to the newspaper, pressed the European Union to use the “levers at its disposal” and to “make clear…that compliance with the commitments entered into is non-negotiable and that leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it”.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/national/macron-accuses-uk-of-not-showing-credibility-on-brexit-amid-fishing-row-32762/

my mistake. I though they claimed Macron had said it. Where is the letter though from Mr Castex?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-10-30 10:19 AM

Desperate or what?

Off you pop.

my mistake. I though they claimed Macron had said it. Where is the letter though from Mr Castex?

Prolly in Vonderbirds in tray :D .........

Along with many other mounting problems for the Fourth Reich's empire >:-) .........

Polexit is looking promising B-) ........

pelmetman - 2021-10-30 10:11 AM

malc d - 2021-10-30 10:08 AM

I think it was very nice of the Daily Mail to give the crew a set of brand new mugs with Union Jacks on them.

They will be the envy of the fleet.

;-)

Especially as its a Scottish boat ;-) ..........

(lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Well spotted Dave !

I wonder what the crew will use them for -

;-)

Irish naval service arrests, impounds 174 vessels per annum, British, french, Spanish etc.

No big deal. Illegal fishing.

France impounds a Canadian owned, British registered vessel and the Boris and Co are running up the flags, frothing at the mouth screaming "how dare they "

Bottom line is the boat was registered with the UK and then the UK "forgot" to put it on the spreadsheet that they gave to the French, kind of like dealing with the DVLA currently.

Contrary to Pelmets Daily Wail and Torygraph suggestions the letter doesn't say that the "EU should hurt the UK to show that Brexit was a bad idea."

An amateur translation would be "It's essential that we show EU public opinion that complying with signed agreements is not negotiable and that there are more downsides to leaving the EU than staying in it." And that enforcement action for treaty non-compliance obviously does that latter bit.

The wrong interpretations by the Brexit salvating media are not journalism - they are an attempt to incite violence against the French. As Macron has said “Because when you spend years negotiating a treaty and then a few months later you do the opposite of what was decided on the aspects that suit you the least, it is not a big sign of your credibility.

Barryd999 - 2021-10-30 10:19 AM

Desperate or what?

Off you pop.

Neither Castex or Macron said what Pelmets Beano claimed.

The Mail made that up to appeal to their xenophobic dummies who only read screechy headers and look at lots of pretty pictures.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-10-30 3:11 PM

An amateur translation would be "It's essential that we show EU public opinion that complying with signed agreements is not negotiable and that there are more downsides to leaving the EU than staying in it." And that enforcement action for treaty non-compliance obviously does that latter bit.

Out of interest, have you been able to find a full French text of the letter? All I could find in the French press were part extracts, which raises the possibility that they, too, are indulging in selective quoting. I'd be grateful for a link to the full text, if you have it. Your translation above seems much more aligned with what I have been able to read, however.

There are four possibilities. The UK government is lying. The French government is lying. It is a British admin cock-up. It is a French admin cock-up.

Lying on either side over a storm in a teacup would be bound to be exposed, and would make either party look very foolish when the truth was revealed, so I suspect cock up - although it would have made far more sense for both parties to compare records quietly than to have gone off at half cock. Where on earth are the grown-ups?

The private letter from Castex - to quote the sentence correctly - ie ‘il est indispenable a montrer clairement aux opinions publiques europeenes que le respect des engagements souscrits n’est pas négociable et qu’il y a d’avantage de dommages à quitter l’union que à y demeur’.

Which loosely translates as, ‘it is essential to clearly show to European public opinion that respecting the commitments made is not negotiable and that there is more detriment to leaving the union than to remaining there.’ It is a matter of record, that the EU feels that, 'pour décourager les autres', leaving the EU has to have a cost, so nothing new is being stated here.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-10-30 1:43 PM

Irish naval service arrests, impounds 174 vessels per annum, British, french, Spanish etc.

No big deal. Illegal fishing.

France impounds a Canadian owned, British registered vessel and the Boris and Co are running up the flags, frothing at the mouth screaming "how dare they "

Bottom line is the boat was registered with the UK and then the UK "forgot" to put it on the spreadsheet that they gave to the French, kind of like dealing with the DVLA currently.

Why am I "not" suprised that our resident Brit hater would know how many the Irish have impounded :D ......

Just gigglin (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2021-10-30 5:43 PM

Why am I "not" suprised that our resident Brit hater would know how many the Irish have impounded :D ......

Why would you be surprised that I take a wider view of the world than a little Englander like yourself?

Prepared to accept that the Daily Wail lied to you? A lie you repeated in your opening post.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-10-30 6:03 PM

pelmetman - 2021-10-30 5:43 PM

Why would you be surprised that I take a wider view of the world than a little Englander like yourself?

Prepared to accept that the Daily Wail lied to you? A lie you repeated in your opening post.

I dunno FastPat........perhaps its just instinct ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-10-30 5:27 PM

The private letter from Castex - to quote the sentence correctly - ie ‘il est indispenable a montrer clairement aux opinions publiques europeenes que le respect des engagements souscrits n’est pas négociable et qu’il y a d’avantage de dommages à quitter l’union que à y demeur’.

Which loosely translates as, ‘it is essential to clearly show to European public opinion that respecting the commitments made is not negotiable and that there is more detriment to leaving the union than to remaining there.’ It is a matter of record, that the EU feels that, 'pour décourager les autres', leaving the EU has to have a cost, so nothing new is being stated here.

Which means in the real world ;-) .......

Brexit Blighty has to be punished to make sure...... No one "else" verlässt das Haus >:-) .......

(lol) (lol) (lol)..........

pelmetman - 2021-10-30 6:25 PM

Brexit Blighty has to be punished to make sure...... No one "else" verlässt das Haus >:-) .......

So we can only conclude that apart from appalling English comprehension you have minimal knowledge of other languages?

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-10-30 11:28 PM

So we can only conclude that apart from appalling English comprehension you have minimal knowledge of other languages?

I'll admit that you are better than me in Lefty Bullsh1t >:-) ........

(lol) (lol) (lol) ...............

I bet he can make himself understood in Spain using the tried and tested method of waving your arms about and shouting "Oi Pedro, fetch us an Ingleeeesh Breakfast!"

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-10-31 9:49 AM

I bet he can make himself understood in Spain using the tried and tested method of waving your arms about and shouting "Oi Pedro, fetch us an Ingleeeesh Breakfast!"

No need ;-) ..........Many of them speak the worlds language.......English :D .........

pelmetman - 2021-11-01 8:02 AM

Barryd999 - 2021-10-31 9:49 AM

No need ;-) ..........Many of them speak the worlds language.......English :D .........

Ah yes the one thing from the Empire that still exists although in later years its more been American English influence. For first languages or native languages though Chinese Mandarin is spoken by the most people followed by Spanish.

Brian Kirby - 2021-10-30 5:22 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-10-30 3:11 PM

Out of interest, have you been able to find a full French text of the letter?

This is the letter in full (double click on it to magnify).

As the poster says, Castex never wrote "Britain must be punished" as can clearly be seen. That was right wing trash media whipping up xenophobia to feed the not so bright.

Archived