M.O.T. extended tests

chas

Read an article that the goverment are pushing through plans to extend the M.O.T. From what I understand, the first M.O.T will come in at 4years and be followed at 2 yearly intervals. There is speculation that this may cause some M.O.T stations to close down through lack of service and I wonder if our roads will be safer places without a yearly test. Of course it will ease the cost of motoring by £50+ a year, unless they intend to raise the test cost to allow for this. chas

I'm not sure it can be done just like that.  I think there's a Euro dimension as well, in that I seem to remember (and someone's bound to know) that vehicle tests are now compulsory throughout all Euro states, on the basis that vehicles cross borders with such facility.  On the face of it, it would be daft for all states to allow vehicles registered in other states free access to their roads, and to have ensured they all have pretty well harmonised insurance, if there is no common agreement on ensuring a basic level of mechanical sefety as well.  Several states require the first test after two years, so there is clearly flexability but, so far as I know, all require a test annually after the first.  Service intervals already seem excessive to me, so for some cars an annual test is the only time someone takes a proper look at them.  I'm pretty sure that's the only time some get their tyre pressures checked, as well!

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-12 5:46 PM

Several states require the first test after two years, so there is clearly flexability but, so far as I know, all require a test annually after the first.  Service intervals already seem excessive to me, so for some cars an annual test is the only time someone takes a proper look at them.  I'm pretty sure that's the only time some get their tyre pressures checked, as well!

Brian

Here in France the MOT (Controle Technique) is only every two years. If the vehicle fails you are given 2 months grace to get the problems fixed. The new MOT (CT) starts from the re-test date. If you have the vehicle re-tested during the two months there is no further charge.

Randonneur - 2007-05-12 5:02 PM

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-12 5:46 PM

Several states require the first test after two years, so there is clearly flexability but, so far as I know, all require a test annually after the first. Service intervals already seem excessive to me, so for some cars an annual test is the only time someone takes a proper look at them. I'm pretty sure that's the only time some get their tyre pressures checked, as well!

Brian

Here in France the MOT (Controle Technique) is only every two years. If the vehicle fails you are given 2 months grace to get the problems fixed. The new MOT (CT) starts from the re-test date. If you have the vehicle re-tested during the two months there is no further charge.

sounds very simple, logic and straightforward.

so, no go here then *-)

B-)

Randonneur - 2007-05-12 5:02 PM  Brian Here in France the MOT (Controle Technique) is only every two years. If the vehicle fails you are given 2 months grace to get the problems fixed. The new MOT (CT) starts from the re-test date. If you have the vehicle re-tested during the two months there is no further charge.

Thanks, Sylvia.  Yer lives and yer learns!  I had always thought the French CT was annual.  Maybe that is the norm then, and we're just downgrading to match!  I suppose the annual test cycle was set rather a long time ago, and cars have improved hugely since.  First car I submitted for test was a 1934 Riley Monaco Special, a wonderful lemon, but we won't go into that.  Too painful!

having just undergone the pain that is the MOT - I noticed I got a couple of advisory points which I find helpful. Perhaps we are learning something - ie the point is to ensure that the vehicles are roadworthy and reasonably reliably so - not just a way to make money!

B-)

Archived