MH Magazines - how many do you buy?

mauramac

Is it just me or does everyone enjoy buying the magazines each month. Last year my husband signed up 3 annual subscriptions for me and now its renewal time and I can't decide whether to continue with all of them or not.

OBVIOUSLY :-D I will be signing up for the MMM (lol)

But is it worth getting Which mag as well, they seem to run all same ads, similar articles etc. I also buy Practical Motorhome which is great for the novice - like me, and if I just happen to spot the Motorcaravan one as well that gets popped into the basket :$ , its all getting a bit expensive and where on earth do you store them. I'm thinking of putting up shelves in the garage as running out of space indoors.

Would love to know what all you peeps do with your mags and what ones are your favourites.

Maura

Randonneur - 2007-01-18 1:38 PM

Only have MMM delivered, but when in the UK I am a sucker for other mags. MMM is the best I have read, more articles.

By the way I love your avatar, where did that come from?

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia

I think I got the avatar originally from a search on Microsoft for MH images to download and spotted this one. It still makes me smile when it pops up but I couldn't have downloaded it without the help of a very very nice man known as Spykal (Mike) who helps me whenever anything too techie comes my way 8-)

By the way, I love your Location (sigh) lucky you.

Maura

I get both MMM and PMH but then I write for PMH regularly and MMM occasionally. Looked at Which Motorhome but its mainly about new 'vans which don't interest me that much as I can't afford one. I have bought the Motorhome occasionaly but found it quite light on information of any significance.

D.

Hello Maura,

Used to get all the Motor Caravan mags but found that after about a year they start to repeat themselves. We have a subscription to MMM and take a look each month at the others and only buy them when there is something of interest to us. Oh sorry we missed the best one out The Caravan Club Magazine (lol).

What we have found is that the road tests repeat in the magazines so you end up buying the same road test from different sources.

My complaint is the number of "Holiday Travel" articles, the magazine equivalent of other peoples holiday photos. Some of these are excellent but too many follow the "Left home at 9:30 drove down the A40 and stopped at Oxford which was great then continued on to Swindon which was great ad infinitum".

What I would like is a Motor Caravan Magazine that is based far more on technical matters and the wife could then get a subscription to Out and About.

Regards,

Mike.

We subscribe to MMM. I do buy PMH when there is something to interest me such as an article by one D. N. Creep creep! Like Mike I too find some of the "holiday travel" articles a bit much. The foreign ones can be helpful with suggestions for camp sites and routes etc.

Loved the moving awning, Maura.

Empress

MMM of course, Which Motorhome at present but won't be renewing, Practical Motorhome only because it was on offer but probably won't bother again, MCM occasionally but usually only if I get a good offer on it.

I don't get much chance to read mags (probably because I spend too much time on here!), only usually read them when I got to bed for a short while before sleepy-time so I end up with an enormous pile of them on the bed-side table and end up months behind so that when I do get to read them I've usually missed entering the competitions and all the offers as they're well pass their date! *-)

Getting bored with the numerous holiday ones as others have also mentioned above, love the Stotherts ones though but that's probably because his style of writing is so humourous and those lovely piccies to look at!

One thing I have noticed of late, though, and I'm sorry to say it, is the number of typo errors creeping into MMM, like extra words, or in the wrong order, or occasionally spelt wrong. As an office working they jump out a mile at me when accuracy in typing etc is paramount. Don't seem to recall it being quite as 'bad' a year ago so something must've changed. Still the best mag going though so I can forgive them for that! (lol)

Guest starspirit

I take some off my old mags down to the Doctor's waiting room as most folk in there will have plenty of time to read an entire MMM whilst waiting.

The rest go to the Dentist as I figure that only wealthy people can afford to go there and they might just be daft enough to want to buy a motor home

CC magazine used to get cut up and hung out in the outside loo on a bit of string.

A bit hard but you can at least laugh (or cry depending on your view of the CC and the tenderness of your personage) as you wipe.

Since building an inside loo coincided with leaving the CC that problem was easily resolved.

:-D Hi to all.I subsribe to the best MMM.also via three other clubs i am in get their mags too and if i get dragged to the shops i might, just might pick up one that i do not have just to keep up with all things regarding our motorhomes.

Remember your is for all year use ! so enjoy

Mel B - 2007-01-18 7:49 PM

...when I do get to read them I've usually missed entering the competitions and all the offers as they're well pass their date! *-)

*Pssst*.... look to your left and you'll see a couple of buttons.... 'Competitions' and 'Special Offers'. Most (if not all) the offers and competitions from MMM, Which Motorcaravan, Which Caravan, etc. get added on there each month by yours truly - please don't tell me I'm wasting my time!

Overall I don,t think MMM are doing to much wrong, and you are never going to please all the people all of the time.

I,m not against travel reports, but some do seem to go on forever, and this space might be better served with more practical information, and I agree with Wayne that more on older vans would be appreciated.

With around 350 pages for a monthly magazine, I think MMM covers just about all you need, but I do pick up the occasional other mags of the shelf now and then.

I live & work in the Netherlands so subscribe to all 4 main mags. MMM and Which? MH are both good, if, as a previous post says, they do repeat content at times, but it was the excellent test reports in WM that put me onto the Exsis which I subsequently purchased! I like the style of Practical MH but have lost interest in Motorcaravan since its update last year. I find the main contributors irritating and the tests lacking in substance so have just cancelled my sub. As an overall view I think the magazines seem to find it difficult to really criticsize the 'vans they test and seem far too cosy with the manufacturers, and yes I know they are UK mags but they are very reluctant to do articles telling readers how easy it is to import from Germany at much reduced prices! I still cannot believe that Hymer UK want around £1700 delivery and on the road charges... I like O&A and subscribe as well, I suppose I'm just a sucker for English language magazines!

well, like many of the above contributors, we have a sub for MMM. Also used to have one for Which, (when it cost annualy almost nothing!) but found too much duplication, and not enough interest in articles, esepcially those which may have been of some interest but were 'reverse printed' - ie white type on blue or black backgrounds - certainly no good for reading in the limited light of motorhomes!

Very often have a quick browse at some of the others in the newsagent, and would buy if any specific items of interest, but havne't found anything lately within this category, and frankly the internet and these forums are very much more useful, as well as (sometimes) entertaining.

Hi Keith. Magazine writers and editors have the difficult task of giving a fair assessment of the products they review without causing offence to the the suppliers and firms who supply them, many of which who also bring substantial revenue through advertising etc. as well, and in fairness most m/h magazines do this in a subjective and unbiased way.

No such constraints apply of course to individuals giving their opinions on these forums, and though some should be taken with a pinch of salt, its normally what you see is what you get with no punches pulled.

I imagine duplication is inevitable with a limited subject, which is why I stick to the one mag, apart from the the odd exeption where as you say a specific item catches your eye.

Glad someone else finds "white type on blue or black backgrounds" a bit of a pain, and lets hope editors keep their arty farty inclinations to themselves with re. to future articles.

I've just read the January 2007 Which Motorhome mag and on page 87 an article starts on "Winter Warmers", the problem was that the text is over a photo and even though the text is in a 'box' with a lighter background I could hardly read it at all! :'(

Is some of the text getting smaller as well or am I just imaging it? 8-)

Archived