Mail scam

Roy

A timely warning of an old scam in the run up to Christmas, just passed on to me. Apparently the scam is that a card is put through your letter box from PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) to tell you that they have been unable to deliver a parcel. You are asked to ring 0906 6611911 which is a premium rate number. If you do then you will end up paying at least £15 for nothing. If it happens to you ring Royal Mail Fraud on 02072 396655 or contact Premium rate Service Regulator on www.icstis.org.uk Take care. Roy.

One of the purposes of these fake warnings is to generate a chain letter that is so powerful that it has everyone forwarding it to their entire email list without further thought. The result is that the Internet email system grinds to a halt. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it has happened in the past.

This is a problem that seems to be getting worse Roy, so much so that i,ve come up with a plan that will safeguard the more gullible amongst us who fall prey to these despicable scams. Just post a £20 not to P.O. 101 tcz and I will send you details of how to avoid future ones. Howard.

Archived