Maps

malc d

On the 'serious' forum ( i.e. Motorhome Matters ) there is often discussion about Sat Navs.

Costs, comparisons, faults, uploading problems, downloading problems, customer service problems etc.etc.

I am the only person still using maps ( to which none of the above apply ).

We use both too, I love reading a map it tells you so much about the area.

I can't travel anywhere in the mh as a passenger without a map on my lap. Bit different when I am travelling solo, I need to know exactly where I am going! So I always prepare well, doesn't mean I never go wrong though :-S

Carol

Guest Tracker

We too prefer a map because you can see what's around you with the potential to explore and maybe get lost - again - or, and much more fun - end up down a narrow twisty track with no turning space and have to reverse out half a mile!

I rarely use the sat nav as a route to follow but I like it on for the mph/kph read out and for always knowing exactly where I am so that I can transfer that info to the map to get me where I want to be!

(My post should have "AM I the only one" not "I am")

I put that down to a senior moment.

From what you all say it sounds like I don't need one. My wife ( and very good navigator) would be extremely bored with nothing to do.

Sounds like a nice 'gadget' with a few useful things on it, but I don't know that the cost, plus all the 'fiddling' with downloadings etc are worth it in my case.

Must be ideal for lone travellers though.

Guest Tracker

I would not want to be without my sat nav Malc.

I don't use it very often in the UK as I know my way around fairly well but it is still very handy for going straight to an address in a city centre or strange town.

It's star billing came earlier this year when it navigated us right round Paris, as part of our day trip from Dunkirk to Montpelier without a single mistake or a missed turn - and all without even slowing down - apart from with the volume of traffic.

It was also very handy in rural Spain (and France) for finding out where you are in 'off the beaten track' areas where the signposts can be challenging and unpredictable.

If you know where you are it makes getting to where you want to be a hell of a lot easier!

We use both maps are great for planning and enable you to see the overall picture of your proposed route and would never travel without one , sat navs are an indispensable aid especially in europe when travelling through towns / cities it take the hassle out of trying to spot your route in unfamilular surroundings also having the aires / camperstops / sites downloaded into the poi's finding an overnight stop a lot easier.

hi malc i agree with most postings above we use both plot a rough route the night before using map then put destination in sat nav next day detouring off when we feel like it sat nav reroutes you back to original heading when detour is finished. ideal for navigating large cities abroard not fool proof though it still sends you down blocked roads sometimes though

I was slated by many on one of my first posts on the site for knockng 'Sat-Navs' but I still have not changed my view. Yes, a 'Sat-Nav' will guide you 'effortlessly' through a strange town but so will an excellent spotter in the passengers seat. We always use paper maps but Cherry is a very good navigator so much so that I name her 'Henry' when she is doing the on road plotting!!

Regards Mike

Mike Parke - 2007-11-15 6:57 PM

I was slated by many on one of my first posts on the site for knockng 'Sat-Navs' but I still have not changed my view. Yes, a 'Sat-Nav' will guide you 'effortlessly' through a strange town but so will an excellent spotter in the passengers seat. We always use paper maps but Cherry is a very good navigator so much so that I name her 'Henry' when she is doing the on road plotting!!

Regards Mike

Where can I hire an 'excellent spotter'?

Trying to train the dog but it's going to take a long time, I think *-)

Until then, 'Betty' (the satnav) is my bestest friend (lol)

I notice that many of you say how useful Sat Navs are for visiting cities.

That's the difference - we avoid cities like the plague. If we want congestion and pollution we stay in Britain.

If we do venture into towns on the continent we normally walk,cycle or use public transport.

To find places in U.K. towns I just print off a local map from Streetmap.com and use that - (almost) never fails.

carolh - 2007-11-15 1:45 PM

We use both too, I love reading a map it tells you so much about the area.

I can't travel anywhere in the mh as a passenger without a map on my lap. Bit different when I am travelling solo, I need to know exactly where I am going! So I always prepare well, doesn't mean I never go wrong though :-S

Carol

The joy though of getting it wrong,you find some super places you didnt know existed.

Mick H.

malc d - 2007-11-15 4:23 PM

(My post should have "AM I the only one" not "I am")

I put that down to a senior moment.******

From what you all say it sounds like I don't need one. My wife ( and very good navigator) would be extremely bored with nothing to do.

Sounds like a nice 'gadget' with a few useful things on it, but I don't know that the cost, plus all the 'fiddling' with downloadings etc are worth it in my case.

Must be ideal for lone travellers though.

****** we all noticed your senior moment but all too polite to mention it.

Mick H.

Mike Parke - 2007-11-15 6:57 PM

Regards Mike

Lucky you, GF is useless as a map reader when in pasenger seat, often I think it's best if I just learn route beforehand, but it would be good if she could at least remind me!

But here's the strange thing, a few years ago I was doing the NCH peak district sponcered walk and on this particler year GF had injured her leg, me and GF's sister did walk, but at every point that path crossed road GF drove there to 'wave' us on, it was quite a good bit of map reading on her behalf considering info she had, now why can't she do that in passenger seat?

Guest Tracker
So in conclusion, as with all things, there is no right or wrong way to navigate and we all do what best suits our own individual style and budget.

Archived