May's 11-month visa plan for EU workers

Bulletguy

Last night leaked Cabinet papers suggested the Home Office has drawn up plans to issue low-skilled migrants 11-month visas “with restricted entitlements and rights” while they are living in the UK.

May jumping the gun yet again in her desperation to appease Brexiters and i don't think she has thought this through at all. Whatever restrictions UK Gov place on EU citizens will be placed on British workers in EU countries.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/7816998/theresa-mays-immigration-migrant-visas/

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-24 9:22 PM

Last night leaked Cabinet papers suggested the Home Office has drawn up plans to issue low-skilled migrants 11-month visas “with restricted entitlements and rights” while they are living in the UK.

May jumping the gun yet again in her desperation to appease Brexiters and i don't think she has thought this through at all. Whatever restrictions UK Gov place on EU citizens will be placed on British workers in EU countries.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/7816998/theresa-mays-immigration-migrant-visas/

"Whatever restrictions UK Gov place on EU citizens will be placed on British workers in EU countries"

I wonder how many workers in the EU are competing against a Brit for a job? *-) ..........

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/16/brits-living-in-rest-of-eu-are-mainly-of-working-age-not-pensioners

"The UK has the smallest proportion of emigrants living in another EU country than any other EU country"

As usual the Guardian is trying to spin the facts *-) .........

I'm of working age :D ........But I deffo ain't looking for a job 8-) ...........

No surprises there BG. She has to plan for what rules migrants from the EU will have to meet, in particular whether those rules will be different to those that already apply to non-EU workers or the same. I think member states will also have already begun to start thinking about the rules they will apply to Brits. I don’t see how the leak could upset EU leaders they would probably be grateful that they have had a bit of a heads up on what is being considered by us if they weren’t fully in the picture already.

I’ve just visited my rampant Brexiteer sister in hospital and told her the news about the EU leaders agreeing to the withdrawal plan. Her reply “Well they would wouldn’t they, they probably wrote it”.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-25 3:45 PM

No surprises there BG. She has to plan for what rules migrants from the EU will have to meet, in particular whether those rules will be different to those that already apply to non-EU workers or the same. I think member states will also have already begun to start thinking about the rules they will apply to Brits. I don’t see how the leak could upset EU leaders they would probably be grateful that they have had a bit of a heads up on what is being considered by us if they weren’t fully in the picture already.

I’ve just visited my rampant Brexiteer sister in hospital and told her the news about the EU leaders agreeing to the withdrawal plan. Her reply “Well they would wouldn’t they, they probably wrote it”.

I like your sister :D .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 4:01 PM

She is one smart cookie Dave, and I would have to admit that she is generally a bit smarter than me as she is a member of Mensa and has scored 165 on their tests. That is why I would never label all Brexiteers as thick. Some are some aren’t. I still disagree with her wholeheartedly on whether Brexit is a good idea.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-25 4:59 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 4:01 PM

She is one smart cookie Dave, and I would have to admit that she is generally a bit smarter than me as she is a member of Mensa and has scored 165 on their tests. That is why I would never label all Brexiteers as thick. Some are some aren’t. I still disagree with her wholeheartedly on whether Brexit is a good idea.

Mensa offered me membership once ;-) .........

But they wanted money 8-) .........

I'm not that stupid :D .......

The crux being whatever restrictions UK place, so will EU/non-EU countries and i can't see 11-month visas working for anyone! I'm staggered by those who continue shooting themselves in the foot.

Last night leaked Cabinet papers suggested the Home Office has drawn up plans to issue low-skilled migrants 11-month visas “with restricted entitlements and rights” while they are living in the UK.[/i]

To me it makes absolute sense to limit LOW SKILLED MIGRANT'S, where ever they come from, access to full UK citizens rights and benefits.

With the accent being on LOW SKILLED and mainly temporary work where often cash is sent 'back home' by workers who have no real wish to live here permanently but just come here for the work and cash it seems to be an arrangement that suits all - we get the workers - the workers get the money then go home until next year.

What a good idea!

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-25 6:18 PM

Was that before you took the test or after Dave? (lol)

They even gave me a certificate ;-) ..........

That said I've met a few "actual" members since :D .......

Curiously they "do" feel the need to tell folk they're members? :-S .......

Cant say I found them intellectually superior :-> .......

Maybe they struggle with smart ar*es? (lol) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 7:06 PM

The crux being whatever restrictions UK place, so will EU/non-EU countries and i can't see 11-month visas working for anyone! I'm staggered by those who continue shooting themselves in the foot.

Worked before we joined the EU *-) ..........

Tracker - 2018-11-25 7:16 PM

Last night leaked Cabinet papers suggested the Home Office has drawn up plans to issue low-skilled migrants 11-month visas “with restricted entitlements and rights” while they are living in the UK.[/i]

To me it makes absolute sense to limit LOW SKILLED MIGRANT'S, where ever they come from, access to full UK citizens rights and benefits.

With the accent being on LOW SKILLED and mainly temporary work where often cash is sent 'back home' by workers who have no real wish to live here permanently but just come here for the work and cash it seems to be an arrangement that suits all - we get the workers - the workers get the money then go home until next year.

What a good idea!

So that's NHS hospital porters, cleaners, catering staff...gone. All essential workers but you want them gone after 11 months. Road workers, refuse collectors, taxi drivers, bus drivers, street cleaners, toilet cleaners, shop assistants, supermarket shelf stackers etc all essential workers but you also want those gone too.

Errm.......any idea whose going to do all this work?

Not such a 'good idea' after all is it?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 8:38 PM

So that's NHS hospital porters, cleaners, catering staff...gone. All essential workers but you want them gone after 11 months. Road workers, refuse collectors, taxi drivers, bus drivers, street cleaners, toilet cleaners, shop assistants, supermarket shelf stackers etc all essential workers but you also want those gone too.

When we take back control WE can decide who stays and for how long ;-) .........

So YES its an excellent idea B-) ..........

PS....... gotta take the dog for a p*ss........

So Nite nite dont let the rubber Nun's bite :D .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 7:36 PM

They didn't come on 11 month visas. Many came as British citizens from Britains colononial Empire with 'indefinite leave to remain' doing work which British people wouldn't do. Worked their entire lifetime paying taxes into the country until this Government decided they were "illegals", dragged them out of their jobs, denied them healthcare, and banged them up in detention centres for deportation. *-)

The immigrants who are over 30 years old presumably.

;-)

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 8:45 PM

When we take back control WE can decide who stays and for how long ;-) .........

So YES its an excellent idea B-) ..........

No you're purposely being obtuse and avoiding answering the question.

Who is going to do all those jobs i listed? Idlers and scroungers such as yourself who lived off benefits you admit you "didn't really need", won't be any use as we need people who are prepared to work.

malc d - 2018-11-25 8:54 PM

The immigrants who are over 30 years old presumably. ;-)

Not if left to the Trackers and Pelmet types of the country. I'm still trying to figure how someone applying for a porter or cleaning job in an NHS hospital is going to say, "i want the job, am willing to work.....BUT have to leave after 11 months", is going to be employed. :-|

Totally senseless to me.

For the benefit of those with poor eyesight I did clearly state 'mainly temporary' migrants, but I will elaborate to placate the wrong conclusion jumpers.

Those who come here from anywhere in the world and who opt to live in the UK, get a full time permanent job, and contribute to UK tax and NI, should be left alone in peace to get on with their life as they are far more valuable to the UK than many of our own so called workers.

Tracker - 2018-11-25 9:39 PM

For the benefit of those with poor eyesight I did clearly state 'mainly temporary' migrants, but I will elaborate to placate the wrong conclusion jumpers.

Those who come here from anywhere in the world and who opt to live in the UK, get a full time permanent job, and contribute to UK tax and NI, should be left alone in peace to get on with their life as they are far more valuable to the UK than many of our own so called workers.

Hhmm.....just realised Malcs remark after re-reading my link! It only applies to people age 18-30 so 16 yr olds can come here for two years and anyone over 30 have freedom of movement. So it's basically a bit of an olive branch to you Brexiters saying "look how i'm going to chase all those foreigners out to keep you happy".

The problem is Richard most British won't do the work these people have been doing which is often hard manual. Migrant workers will do the work....because they're used to hard work.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 8:51 PM

They didn't come on 11 month visas. Many came as British citizens from Britains colononial Empire with 'indefinite leave to remain' doing work which British people wouldn't do. Worked their entire lifetime paying taxes into the country until this Government decided they were "illegals", dragged them out of their jobs, denied them healthcare, and banged them up in detention centres for deportation. *-)

Rubbish *-) .........Boston used to have a large number of Portuguese migrants who used to work the fields before we joined the EU ;-) .........

Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 11:29 PM

Hhmm.....just realised Malcs remark after re-reading my link! It only applies to people age 18-30 so 16 yr olds can come here for two years and anyone over 30 have freedom of movement. So it's basically a bit of an olive branch to you Brexiters saying "look how i'm going to chase all those foreigners out to keep you happy".

The problem is Richard most British won't do the work these people have been doing which is often hard manual. Migrant workers will do the work....because they're used to hard work.

I think you may have drawn the wrong conclusion BG. What appears to be on the cards is that people in the 18-30 group from EU countries could have the opportunity to come to the UK in a special category, people not in that group would have to qualify for entry under other rules which are likely to be more restrictive. Seems to me this is only a mirror of the existing rules for non-EU migrants from some Commonwealth countries. That's how Aussies come to the UK for two years to i.e. do some work and experience the culture here. If our kids want to go to Australia they have the same route to temporary migration. Having researched the rules for my daughter who is going to Australia next year I came across this type of temporary visa. What TM appears to be trying to do is maintain cultural links for our young people with their counterparts in EU countries post Brexit.

pelmetman - 2018-11-26 8:24 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 8:51 PM

Rubbish *-) .........Boston used to have a large number of Portuguese migrants who used to work the fields before we joined the EU ;-) .........

On 11 month visas?

Violet1956 - 2018-11-26 1:54 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 11:29 PM

I think you may have drawn the wrong conclusion BG. What appears to be on the cards is that people in the 18-30 group from EU countries could have the opportunity to come to the UK in a special category, people not in that group would have to qualify for entry under other rules which are likely to be more restrictive. Seems to me this is only a mirror of the existing rules for non-EU migrants from some Commonwealth countries. That's how Aussies come to the UK for two years to i.e. do some work and experience the culture here. If our kids want to go to Australia they have the same route to temporary migration. Having researched the rules for my daughter who is going to Australia next year I came across this type of temporary visa. What TM appears to be trying to do is maintain cultural links for our young people with their counterparts in EU countries post Brexit.

I looked at the link again after Malcs post and realised it's May's wacko idea of some kind of "18 - 30s club". She wants to restrict young fit folk to 11 months. Not much use to an employer looking for permanent employees but never mind eh....once over 30 it doesn't apply.

Incidentally regards Australia i remember when they were so desperate for workers they were offering a one way ticket for just a tenner back in the 70's. Jobs and homes sourced, everything all set up waiting for those willing to go. The Ozzies came over here on a mass recruitment drive giving evening conferences in most UK towns/cities with some very persuasive illustrated 'talks'.

Now you can't go unless you have a job there or friend/relative living there. One of my nephews who worked in banking in London shipped out to spend two years hitching around Oz (it helped that his friend lived there otherwise he wouldn't have got in). Eventually he settled there, got full time work in finance and there long enough to get Oz citizenship. Lives in Mexico now but free to go to Oz anytime he fancies though doubt he will as his wife is Mexican and they have children now.

Oh the benefits of real freedom of movement eh? The benefits multiculturalism and all those "foreign type folk" bring to a country. North Korea remains the worlds last isolated country but UK is doing a fine job of fast becoming the second by restricting it's own citizens in it's crackpot quest to hoist up the drawbridge.

Bulletguy - 2018-11-26 2:49 PM

Oh the benefits of real freedom of movement eh?

Our little island is half the size of France - with a similar size population.

The roads are overcrowded - the hospitals can't cope with demand - it's difficult to get your kids into the schools of their choice - and we have a housing crisis.

In their wisdom our politicians decided that open borders would be a good idea

What could possibly go wrong ?

:-(

Archived