Message from Carol & Charles

Mel B

As a few people have asked, I thought I'd post an email that Carol sent me the other day, so you know how she's getting on:

Well - just another 5 weeks and we will be winding down and nearly heading home - it will be so strange not going out in the morning with our 'smurf' uniform on and cleaning, and being nice to people! and sorting out problems......

I feel a little sad about it! we have extended our work time by another week, to do the inventry on all our mobiles here and all the ones on Dol - so about 250 in total! still its a job. Then we will tour around for a week or so and then get the ferry back on maybe the 2nd October.

It's been good, some days not so, but overall we have enjoyed it - mind you august is a busy month - one day we have got 6 back to back cleans - which means that six families are leaving and six coming in to the same accommodation - but we are lucky that 3 families are coming on the afternoon ferry from portsmouth to st malo, and they won't arrive until 9pm if we are lucky and the ferry is on time, and after 10pm if it's late as usual!! makes for a long day........

We went to a 'rummage sale' last Saturday in st cast - it was called a vide grenier - literal translation is empty loft/attic - so basically a french car boot. it was good, loads of tat on sale and really cheap, we bought an expresso coffee machine - bit basic, but it steams milk and does the coffee, not automatic, but what else can you expect for 2euros, and I bought a teddy for 20c - bargain LOL

The weather is still pretty mixed, but when the sun comes out - it's hot!!! good job we are not working down on the med - it's 50 degrees down there - 30degrees is fine for me. the tan is coming on, but I have still got lots of white bits. Can't be bothered going down to the pool for a swim, it's just too busy and by the time I get down there, there are no chairs or loungers free!!

On Tuesday - we had no cleans and only one arrival - and that not due till the late st malo ferry, so when I had done all the admin we cycled into Matignon along what used to be a railway track back in the 40's - we had a picnic sat in the sun in the square, and wandered round the town, not much there - but to be honest it's nice to get off site. the cycle back was a bit onerous as we had done some shopping at the super u and lidl - and my bum was a bit sore. It's not a comfortable bike!!!

We went out for a meal to La Marmite last night, as usual the meal was excellent - I had braised knuckle of pork!! they weren't very big so they gave me two!!!! I am going to have a serious weight problem soon - nothing is going to fit when I get home - you would have thought that with all the scrubbing and walking up and down the hill I would lose weight!! can't be anything to do with the red wine I drink now can it?

Well I think that just about brings us all up to date - take care everyone - love to you all.

Carol et Charles

Archived