Mobile Phones and driving.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

The government has announced that from February 27th the penalty for using a cellphone whilst driving will double to £60 but more importantly, we'll get three points on our licence.

Good! This morning I was waiting at lights and a largish delivery van shot through after they'd turned red. The lights were on a sharpish bend and the lunatic behind the wheel had his mobile clamped to his ear, whilst he steered his, presumably manual gearbox, vehicle!

The only problem is that not enough of them get caught.

I was walking through Parliament Sq last year when a big arctic came down Whitehall, indicating turning left to Westminster Bridge, slowed down as bit, only for me to see the drive was having handling difficulties, as he tried to steer with one hand and phone in other !

On the same corner where I stood were 6 coppers.

I drew their attention to the vehicle, mentioning the phone use, and they looked blankly and said they were not traffic cops !!!

What are they for, other than seeing the Minsister's car's are not delayed at the traffic lights. >:-)

You won't find many people arguing with you Frank.

Trouble is that the police don't seem to want to know about things like this and there is a general attitude of ignoring laws as they aren't enforced anyway.

How many cars do you see with illegal number plates? Not difficult to nick someone for it but I've never heard of it happening.

I picked my grandson up from school today and there were cars parked on pavements, yellow lines and the school zigzags. Nothing unusual in that, I know, but this is less 200 metres from the police station!

And yet I see that a woman somewhere whose car was wrecked by a fallen tree last week returned to it, after recovering from the shock, to find that some jobsworth had planted a parking ticket on it. This is not new as in the mid 1970's my company car after an accident (being driven by someone else) had a parking ticket put on it while we were organising the recovery. This was before any thought of mobile 'phones.

Ralph - 2007-01-24 4:50 PM

You won't find many people arguing with you Frank.

Trouble is that the police don't seem to want to know about things like this and there is a general attitude of ignoring laws as they aren't enforced anyway.

I think you must be right Ralph. I see people using hand held mobiles more or less every day I'm out. If I see them then the police must.

Graham

Pet shop in Eccles centre had a ticket put on a dog kennel yes dog kennel left on the road after being del. It was on the telly & in the papers.What tickles me is It's a german based firm who owne's the  traffic warden Co & I bet Salford Council pay them to do it. oops off topic sorry

Well ,

One for the police what do the public want Jack of all trades master of none.

I don't see a copper in my street people moan

I dont like the police

first to shout when robbed /burgled attacked I don't know the public get's what the public want's . One minute it's get out there and catch criminal next it's why are you not stopping more serious criminals and why are you hounding people for such minor offences.

I don't think that the police hold with these rules about the phone its not them that make the laws just supposed to enforce them with all theses stupid laws all over the place being added at a rate that the police can not possibly keep up with what do you expect.

As hubby say's how in the hell am I supposed to tell someone to come off there phone when it's almost the same as a cop with a radio on his shoulder listening to main set on route to call..

You should try it for a day it's all rolled up in one pile of Crap served neatly under this govnerment.

*-) ............... :-| :-|

Archived