Money to burn?

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

Is it my imagination or do many people seem to find great delight in hurling as much money as possible at every problem large and small?

Do we live in an age where DIY is dying and people seem to think that great cost comes as increased street cred?

I was brought (dragged) up on make do and mend principles and I still get considerable pleasure from solving a problem at no or very little cost.

I'm not knocking the deep pocket brigade as it is, after all, their cash to spread about as they see fit and I suppose every pound spent is one less that Grasping will get his nasty little hands on one way or another.

And it all makes work for the working man to do - as Flanders and Swann said all those years ago?

Hello Richard,

Being an inept DIY person, I find it cheaper in the long run to pay a professional. As a retired purchaser/buyer connected to the offshore industry I always obtain three quotes as minimum but more often more.

Regards, Mike

People don't know how to make do and mend any more. Kids in school are not learning the skills required to read instructions, let alone being able to attempt DIY although they can text each other across the school room! >:-)

We make as much of our own compost as possible, recycle as much waste as possible. I have just cleared out my late dad's loft! It was a hugely fun experience as he kept *everything* - just in case; including his gardening records from 1957! Wood, screws in jars: glass jars in a box on a shelf, alongside them the lids to go with said jars :-D etc. etc........ Unfortunately wood worm has infiltrated the loft so the wood had to be burnt or tipped. He was the original recycler! ;-)

It's time the public said 'no' to all this expense. I wnt into Tesco this morning and they were clearing out hundreds of mothers' day cards and envelopes which had not been bought ...... >:-( I lost count after 98! And the display stand was also due for demolition, made of cardboard it would add to their recycling pile out the back ......... what's wrong with offering other cards cheaply as shops do after C.mas?

I have to say I get a bit irritated with this sentiment about others choices. Just because you can and do "make do and mend" Richard doesn't mean everybody can or even should. If its right for them then why does it bother you?

I've seen the inside of too many motorhomes where the owner thought they could "DIY" but the finished job often proves they couldn't! Shelves bodged badly, materials used being so far from the original construction materials that they look really naff and some fittings that looked as if they'd just been thrown at the van from about 15 feet away! I've seen electrical equipment "installed" (although that is far too grand a word for some of the bodge ups I've seen) without the benefit of fuses, wiring that is far too thin for the job its been used for leaving a high likelihood of fire. Gas installations on some DIY vans that would send a bomb disposal guy running for cover. And all this to save a few quid!

If you can DIY properly then go ahead but if you can't then find someone with the requisite skills and pay them to do it properly.

D.

It's not so much whether you should 'make do and mend' so much as you will find it very difficult these days to do so.

Time was when you could buy a spare part for just about anything from the little man in the High street. Now he's gone so if anything breaks it's chuck it out and buy another one. May not be a lot of difference in price but it's more for the landfill etc.

Doesn't seem right somehow.

I do agree that if you're not handy with the toolkit it makes sense to get someone in who is.

;-)

Guest starspirit
Dave Newell - 2007-03-19 1:48 PM

I have to say I get a bit irritated with this sentiment about others choices. Just because you can and do "make do and mend" Richard doesn't mean everybody can or even should. If its right for them then why does it bother you

Oh dear - have I rattled your cage Dave?

I did quite clearly say that it is everyone's choice how they spend their own money but perhaps you missed that bit?

It does not bother me in the least but it was, I thought, a potentially interesting topic for friendly discussion?

Richard

I must admit that I'd rather do something myself that get some of the so-called professionals in, I find the quality of my work and standards are higher in many instances although I do appreciate that there are proper professionals out there. The problem is finding the ones that can really do a proper job and the ones who think they are professionals just because they have some headed notepaper and an advert in the telephone book. Personal recommendation is the best way to get someone who really knows what they are doing.

Some friends of ours spent a small fortune on having their kitchen re-fitted last year, we had a look and I could have definitely done a better job myself with a knife and fork! However, I didn't say anything as they are very pleased with it and if that is what they want then that's okay, they are the ones who have to live with it. For me, so long as I can still keep on doing the DIY to a good quality then I'll do so (power tools .. .don't ya just love 'em!). :->

Guest peter
I totally agree with you Richard. Unfortunately these days people have either no time or no DIY skills or both. But they do have plenty of disposable income. So being lazy and unskilled, they prefer to pay someone else. Fortunately I have both the time and plenty of skills, so do my own work. It's the only way I can ensure it's done right and I'm not being ripped off for my ignorance. A classic example is one of my one time hobbies of radio control aeroplanes. I always built my own models from scratch, but packed up a few years ago. I went to the local model shop and had a chat and he told me that nowadays everyone wanted to buy ready built models. As they hadn't got the time or knowhow to build their own. Or they were just too lazy. The problem is that these days most people want instant gratification without any effort. I suppose that partially explains the popularity of computor games.

Hello Peter,

Ref the above threads.

Like you I build radio control models, but mainly on the marine side. Just as well as I have to spend considerable time sitting down due to medical problems which forced me into early retirement. I wished to extend my knowledge of DIY in retirement. Some things I manage, but any work in or out of the M/H is left to Simpsons and a long established auto electrician, both of whom are within five miles. I go along with Dave on this one.

Washing the M/H is another matter. If I do it myself it takes at least five sessions over five days but have found a site near Beccles (Suffolk) who do a wonderful job for a negotiated £15 in less than an hour.

Other things such as gardening, home electrics and alterations are way beyond my physical ability, so I now pay regulars who are still checked out with a quoting excercise every now and then. So far, no changes, once they get a regular immediate payer (cash if requested) they want to keep them.

I planned plenty of DIY in retirement and bought all the required tools and power equipment for the last twenty years while working. To make space, most of it has been given away as it seems that rather like computer equipment they hold no value, at least, around here.

The best thing I have ever bought is my M/H and I love pottering about within and without. Much of the re-blacking can be done by sitting down on a folding stool, and being a gadget-man I love messing about and sorting things.

Sorry if I have again rambled on a bit.

Regards to you all, Mike

Guest peter

Hi Sax, sorry to hear about your lack of mobility. But at least you are keeping busy with the models. I too have a boat, with a chainsaw engine in it. But don't seem to have the time to play about it. I think Richard was referring to ble bodied persons, but probably wrongly assumed that people have the time and knowledge to carry out these activities.

Peter

Our garden is a health hazzard . we try but the reality of it is with him on shift work and if not looking after the other three and me back & forth to the hospital we dont seem to have enough hours in the day .

he loves to do things himself and the pride also he is quite capable but I just dont know when its going to get done and its a must .

When the builders finished they just lobbed it all into the garden if money was no object and being sick of the site of not having the use of it I would love to employ someone but have neither time nor money we will have to wait .........never mind.

starspirit - 2007-03-19 7:34 PM

Dave Newell - 2007-03-19 1:48 PM

I have to say I get a bit irritated with this sentiment about others choices. Just because you can and do "make do and mend" Richard doesn't mean everybody can or even should. If its right for them then why does it bother you

Oh dear - have I rattled your cage Dave?

I did quite clearly say that it is everyone's choice how they spend their own money but perhaps you missed that bit?

It does not bother me in the least but it was, I thought, a potentially interesting topic for friendly discussion?

Hi Richard,

No you didn't rattle my cage as you so delicately put it but you do use some emotive terms that could easily be construed as derogatory. For example "deep pocket brigade" is hardly a nice way of describing people who aren't afraid to spend their money, is it?

In my reading of your original post you came across as somewhat scornful of those who cannot, or choose not to DIY. This is what I object to, a blinkered view of the world in which your way is right and those who don't subscribe to your way of doing things are wrong!

I won't be drawn into a long winded and drawn out debate of whether or not that was your intention and to this end this is my final post on this thread.

D. ;-)

I am a reasonably confident and able DIY'er, having tackled several projects in the house I have lived in for many years.

We have clients who live in France and I was intrigued by the French system for DIY in that I have been to some friends houses where the DIY "idiot" has caused a real mess and a dangerous one at that!

You only have to watch programs like "DIY SOS" to appreciate what I mean.

Over here in the UK we have legislation that states if we want to run a spur of our ring main we can no longer do it ourselves - we have to get a qualified electrician to do it.

REALLY!!! - and who polices this as the likes of B&Q are still selling all that you need to DIY???? - RESULT? - another law that is unenforceable and so ignored.

However, in France VAT is NOT applied to materials bought by tradesman. But it is applied if you buy the materials to DIY.

Result - an obvious incentive to use a local builder/electrician/plumber etc.

It seems to work as my clients, some of whom are very able guys, say it is just not worth bothering to DIY and better to get someone in.

Guest starspirit

In my reading of your original post you came across as somewhat scornful of those who cannot, or choose not to DIY. This is what I object to, a blinkered view of the world in which your way is right and those who don't subscribe to your way of doing things are wrong!

I won't be drawn into a long winded and drawn out debate of whether or not that was your intention and to this end this is my final post on this thread.

Good Morning Dave,

Not at all scornful Dave, you simply interpreted incorrectly.

I think I have said on enough occasions that I believe that there is no right or wrong ways of enjoying our hobby - just different ways - different aims - and different levels of expenditure.

If you choose not to contribute that is neither right nor wrong Dave - just your choice.

Nevertheless some interesting points on both sides have emerged.

Could we not all just agree that words taken in isolation can be interpreted how the reader wants rather than how the writer intended?

If we go on like this we will all end up "widdling in other peoples cornflakes!" (lol)

Me too but I love that responce - the first time i heard it was in a meeting when one of the guys went of on one about some trivial matter and this other chap said:-

"Oh dear! - Who widdled in your cornflakes this morning?"

Still cracks me up now!

CliveH - 2007-03-20 8:46 AM

"... where the DIY "idiot" has caused a real mess and a dangerous one at that!

You only have to watch programs like "DIY SOS" to appreciate what I mean.

Do you mean that the DIY SOS team are the real problem then or the ones that they go to help? Judging by some of the DIY SOS 'fixes' it's not that easy to be sure! (lol) (lol) (lol)

CliveH - 2007-03-20 11:38 AM

Could we not all just agree that words taken in isolation can be interpreted how the reader wants rather than how the writer intended?

If we go on like this we will all end up "widdling in other peoples cornflakes!" (lol)

body lanuguage in a pub we would all laugh agreeded or at least agreed to disagree ............ :D

Money...yes... Burn ... No...

Thats just plain silly...

I am part of the have a go brigade..you know the type's those who try all day to fix the simple problem and when you have spent all day and a quantity of hard earned..and the problems seems to be getting bigger cos you have hit something a little more expensive than the simple problem you have been trying to fix...then you concede and take it to the van doctor for five mins...and Hey presto fixed.

Should have done that in the first place..But hey ho...each to his or her own..

;-)

Archived