More 'benefits'

Bulletguy

Anyone remember this being on the side of the Brexit Bus? :-S

‘Brexit to blame’: UK shoppers pay up to 50% more than those in EU

Zara is charging British shoppers as much as 50% more than in Spain, while Decathlon partly blames Brexit for markups on e-bikes that can be up to £250 pricier in the UK than in France.

The figures come from a snapshot survey by Guardian Money that examined prices of popular items at pan-European retailers including Ikea, Apple, JD Sports, and H&M, as well as Zara and Decathlon. It compared prices in the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/30/brexit-uk-shoppers-pay-more-eu-zara-ikea-decathlon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulletguy - 2022-07-30 9:40 PM

‘Brexit to blame’: UK shoppers pay up to 50% more than those in EU

Its even worse than that when you factor in the Brexit Crashed pound :-S

But they still call the Brexit crisis, and inequality crisis, a 'cost of living crisis'

as if it affects everyone the same *-)

Some bands are skipping the UK because of Brexit

"Our festival was organically growing, you know, everything was working great," says Adam Gregory, one of the directors of award-winning British rock and metal festival Bloodstock. "There was no real big blockades that we could say would stop a festival from being successful.

"Then Brexit came along, and literally every barrier in the world went up overnight."

One of the main issues is bands of all sizes now need a carnet - an international customs document - to be allowed to go between the UK and EU with all their equipment, costing a minimum of £600.

As well as increasing costs and paperwork for British bands wanting to travel across the Channel, EU bands wanting to come and play UK festivals face the same barriers.

"Some bands that we know have actually not come to the UK because of the headache," says Mr Gregory. "They just can't be bothered with it."

Labour MP Alex Davies-Jones, who has been working with the festival directors on the issues they are facing, echoes his fears.

"If somebody's on a European tour, normally they would have used the UK as a stop-off, bring all their equipment, bring their set, do one of these festivals and then head off on to their next destination," she says.

"That can't happen now. They're skipping the UK because it's just too complicated. It's different rules, different regulations, too much red tape and it's preventing us from having these world famous acts at our festivals and from finding new incredible music."

Justine Jones, lead singer of British band Employed to Serve, says the new paperwork ramps up how much they have to spend to travel to festivals on the continent, and she knows European counterparts facing the same to come here for our calendar defining events.

"Bands have to get carnets to literally list every single instrument, pack of strings, battery packs and more, with the make and with the serial numbers," she said.

"We had to pay a professional company to do that and that cost us just under £1,000.

"And the carnets only last a year, as well as only covering a certain amount of crossings, so if we go over that, we have to buy a whole new one."

https://tinyurl.com/yev7vbxv

Gremlin - 2022-07-31 9:02 PM

You want European bands here in the U.K.?

Have you watched the Eurovision Song Contest?

They only thing that made it fun was Terry Wogan taking the pi$$ out of it.

And he was Irish!!

LOL! You think the Eurovision Song contest is typical of the standard and type of bands that mainland Europe produces? (lol) I suppose it did Spawn a little known Swedish group once upon a time. Abba

There are some fantastic bands and musicians all over Europe. Most of them wouldnt be seen dead in Eurovision. Bands like Kraftwerk spawned a whole new music Genre and changed the world of music completely in the late 70s / early 80s.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 9:07 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 8:29 AM

And he was Irish!!

LOL! You think the Eurovision Song contest is typical of the standard and type of bands that mainland Europe produces? (lol) I suppose it did Spawn a little known Swedish group once upon a time. Abba

There are some fantastic bands and musicians all over Europe. Most of them wouldnt be seen dead in Eurovision. Bands like Kraftwerk spawned a whole new music Genre and changed the world of music completely in the late 70s / early 80s.

Yeah yeah - whatever.

I just think it odd that on my last visit (Charente Maritime) the French musicians who delighted us in the evening as we ate out in the town square sang English songs, in English, for about 75% of their repertoire.

And where we were was well off the normal tourist track.

Where was this then exactly? Its not odd or unusual of course for street musicians or cover bands to cover popular songs in the English language, even in France although in my own experience of France which is vast I would say I mostly hear French music but as said, not unusual. As I said, there is a wealth of European bands and music that are top notch and Eurovision is in no way representative of that IMO.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 9:43 AM

Near Angouleme

Not exactly off the tourist trail then. Ive been there. A lot of Brits have been buying up property there as its a cheap alternative to the Dordogne. Certainly Angouleme is on the tourist trail. Cant say I was over enamoured with the area to be honest.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 10:20 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 10:04 AM

Near Angouleme

Not exactly off the tourist trail then. Ive been there. A lot of Brits have been buying up property there as its a cheap alternative to the Dordogne. Certainly Angouleme is on the tourist trail. Cant say I was over enamoured with the area to be honest.

Yes, well, if I thought you were in anyway capable of any sort of honest appraisal I might have taken your comments seriously.

But seeing as your audit trail of bile precedes you - I’ll just chuckle at your predictability.

No, I just have several internationally recognised and praised travel blogs, a touring website and online guides particularly covering France but what do I know? (lol) Dont think there is any "bile" in them though or here for that matter. (lol)

EDIT: Oh and I know a little bit about music also being a Rock Star. B-)

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 10:45 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 10:39 AM

Near Angouleme

Yes, well, if I thought you were in anyway capable of any sort of honest appraisal I might have taken your comments seriously.

But seeing as your audit trail of bile precedes you - I’ll just chuckle at your predictability.

No, I just have several internationally recognised and praised travel blogs, a touring website and online guides particularly covering France but what do I know? (lol) Dont think there is any "bile" in them though or here for that matter. (lol)

Yes I can see you having to do something like that.

Yes that's right because I like to share and when you have a vast knowledge of something its useful to others to share that knowledge is it not? I didn't have to do it of course. It was something I very much enjoyed doing.

Maybe I should write something about the diverse and excellent array of Musical talent in Mainland Europe. I might be qualified to do that also being a Rock God myself.

Here's one example for you of the Brilliant Euro music scene. B-)

Amazing.

B-)

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 11:29 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 10:57 AM

Near Angouleme

Yes that's right because I like to share and when you have a vast knowledge of something its useful to others to share that knowledge is it not? I didn't have to do it of course. It was something I very much enjoyed doing.

Maybe I should write something about the diverse and excellent array of Musical talent in Mainland Europe. I might be qualified to do that also being a Rock God myself.

Amazing.

B-)

As “Amazing” as your NPD.

PMSL! (lol)

From Healthline.com

"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which people have an inflated opinion of themselves". (lol)

Do you have a mirror in your house? You maybe should take a look in it. (lol)

And he was Irish!!

Yeah yeah - whatever.

I just think it odd that on my last visit (Charente Maritime) the French musicians who delighted us in the evening as we ate out in the town square sang English songs, in English, for about 75% of their repertoire.

Ahem! :-) Forgive the intrusion, but Angouleme is in Charente, not Charente-Maritime, which is further West (nearer the sea: maritime?). :-D

Brian Kirby - 2022-08-01 5:50 PM

And he was Irish!!

Yeah yeah - whatever.

Ahem! :-) Forgive the intrusion, but Angouleme is in Charente, not Charente-Maritime, which is further West (nearer the sea: maritime?). :-D

Oh don't upset him Brian.....you know how fragile his ego is! :-|

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 3:08 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 1:38 PM

Near Angouleme

Amazing.

B-)

PMSL! (lol)

From Healthline.com

"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which people have an inflated opinion of themselves". (lol)

Coming from someone who had to broadcast about “an internationally recognised and praised….blah blah blah!!!”

PRAISED!!!

No insight, knowledge or self awareness whatsoever.

Truly amazing to be blessed with your mere presence.

I shouldn't think you will ever be so lucky for that to happen. Being an international Rock star and travel writer I don't mix with the plebs and hoi polloi Doncha know. Thats Greek by the way not French.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 7:07 PM

And he was Irish!!

Yeah yeah - whatever.

Quite so - but Angouleme is not where our property is - it is further west. We go to Angouleme as it is roughly equidistant with Bergerac - where our friends live and who we like to spend time with.

And you voted to end your own FoM......what a dummy.

Come to think of it that 'other' dummy who ended his own FoM, Freaky Frank. also had a property in France. He liked making grand announcements. You're probably neighbours, maybe even bed fellows.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 7:09 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-08-01 7:07 PM

I suggest you read the linked article again VERY SLOWLY until it's sunk in.

Nah! - Terry Wigan’s analysis was spot on. The EU tried to get him banned you know…

You're letting your manic obsession and rabid hatred of the EU cloud fact. The EU has absolutely sod all to do with Eurovision song contest and it was organisers who simply complained about Wogan.

it's open to all countries who have a broadcaster that is operating within Europe as part of the EBU and many non-European have taken part. Australia has competed as has Israel, Armenia and Morocco.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 9:52 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 9:43 PM

Near Angouleme

Amazing.

B-)

PMSL! (lol)

From Healthline.com

Coming from someone who had to broadcast about “an internationally recognised and praised….blah blah blah!!!”

PRAISED!!!

I shouldn't think you will ever be so lucky for that to happen. Being an international Rock star and travel writer I don't mix with the plebs and hoi polloi Doncha know. Thats Greek by the way not French.

Hoi Polloi Barbaroi - To use the idiom in its correct entirety.

Well done Grumbling, you learned how to use Google. Have you figured out how to do URL links yet then?

I could send you some guides if you like so you can learn while your being delayed for your next dodgy budget airline flight. (lol)

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 10:31 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-08-01 10:09 PM

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 7:07 PM

And he was Irish!!

Yeah yeah - whatever.

Quite so - but Angouleme is not where our property is - it is further west. We go to Angouleme as it is roughly equidistant with Bergerac - where our friends live and who we like to spend time with.

And you voted to end your own FoM......what a dummy.

Come to think of it that 'other' dummy who ended his own FoM, Freaky Frank. also had a property in France. He liked making grand announcements. You're probably neighbours, maybe even bed fellows.

Your memory really is rather poor isn’t it. I have said all along that I voted to remain in the EU - for exactly the entirely selfish reason that we obviously travel there a great deal.

Everyone takes your self-flagellating hair shirt mentality with a pinch of salt.....and your waffle about 'selfish reasons' makes it all the more farcical. *-)

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 10:41 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-08-01 10:22 PM

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 9:48 PM

We use Ryanair and EasyJet like buses and probably pay less for the flights than a coach trip up to town.

But I do miss Flybe.

Uff.....how common. Was the finance called in on the Gulfstream?

Common maybe, but in just over an hours flight and depending on La Rochelle, Poitiers or Bordeaux as a destination after an hours or so drive I can be there.

Ryanair is more reliable of late but why is it their 737’s seem to thump into the runways whereas EasyJet’s A320’s seem to float onto the runway?

Probably got to use "pilots" from an agency now.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 10:53 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 10:31 PM

Near Angouleme

Amazing.

B-)

PMSL! (lol)

From Healthline.com

PRAISED!!!

Well done Grumbling, you learned how to use Google. Have you figured out how to do URL links yet then?

I could send you some guides if you like so you can learn while your being delayed for your next dodgy budget airline flight. (lol)

If it was that simple to “Google” why didn’t you know it? If anyone needs “simple” it’s you.

Let me explain.

You only used “half” the term - hoi polloi is Ancient Greek - not Greek. And roughly means “the many” - or more accurately “the majority”. Therefore it’s use as you used it really does not infer any insult at all.

However - add barbaroi - which is Ancient Greek for Barbarian and you do get a collective “insult” along the lines of “the great unwashed”

“The Barbarian Masses” is, I think the insult you wished to apply to others.

But - again - I had to chuckle at your stupidity in that you actually simply referred to “The Majority” - thus placing yourself as the minority.

The irony of which -given the Brexit vote that you still haven’t yet come to terms with - is surely not lost on people.

Even when you try really hard - you still manage to shoot yourself in the foot..

Not so as in modern English only the two words are used to refer to the masses. Check any dictionary or thesaurus you like. See if you can prove me wrong by providing a "link" to it. (lol) What made you think I wanted to use the term "Barbarian Masses"? Nobody uses that phrase with "Barbaroi" added to it. How long did you search around to find that one?

Dunno WTF Brexit has to do with it although seeing as you brought it up the Hoi Polloi now think its a sh1t idea so its actually the minority that still support it by a country mile.

Gremlin - 2022-08-01 11:36 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-01 11:20 PM

Near Angouleme

Amazing.

B-)

PMSL! (lol)

From Healthline.com

PRAISED!!!

If it was that simple to “Google” why didn’t you know it? If anyone needs “simple” it’s you.

Let me explain.

You only used “half” the term - hoi polloi is Ancient Greek - not Greek. And roughly means “the many” - or more accurately “the majority”. Therefore it’s use as you used it really does not infer any insult at all.

However - add barbaroi - which is Ancient Greek for Barbarian and you do get a collective “insult” along the lines of “the great unwashed”

But - again - I had to chuckle at your stupidity in that you actually simply referred to “The Majority” - thus placing yourself as the minority.

The irony of which -given the Brexit vote that you still haven’t yet come to terms with - is surely not lost on people.

Even when you try really hard - you still manage to shoot yourself in the foot..

Not so as in modern English only the two words are used to refer to the masses. Check any dictionary or thesaurus you like. See if you can prove me wrong by providing a "link" to it. (lol) What made you think I wanted to use the term "Barbarian Masses"? Nobody uses that phrase with "Barbaroi" added to it. How long did you search around to find that one?

Dunno WTF Brexit has to do with it although seeing as you brought it up the Hoi Polloi now think its a sh1t idea so its actually the minority that still support it by a country mile.

Really? I mean - Really?

Pericles referred to the Hoi Polloi in a positive way when praising Democracy comparing it to oligarchy - “Hoi Oligoi”.

Why not look up “hoi polloi barbaroi” - you accuse me of “googling” - but I would suggest you really might benefit from a bit of proper “searching”

You really do need to read more widely.

Rubbish. Here is what happened. Its your modus operandi (That's Latin by the way but I am sure you will frantically google something to add to it in an attempt to look smarter than you actually are).

Its well known that said phrase is used to describe the masses or perhaps as some say the great unwashed but what you try to do is to find some way of informing the poster that somehow their use of said terminology is incorrect in order to look clever and massage your ego as if you are some kind of superior intellectual. It doesn't work and just makes you look a tit to be honest.

Gremlin - 2022-08-02 10:36 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-02 9:58 AM

Near Angouleme

Amazing.

B-)

PMSL! (lol)

From Healthline.com

PRAISED!!!

Let me explain.

Really? I mean - Really?

Pericles referred to the Hoi Polloi in a positive way when praising Democracy comparing it to oligarchy - “Hoi Oligoi”.

Why not look up “hoi polloi barbaroi” - you accuse me of “googling” - but I would suggest you really might benefit from a bit of proper “searching”

Rubbish. Here is what happened. Its your modus operandi (That's Latin by the way but I am sure you will frantically google something to add to it in an attempt to look smarter than you actually are).

Its well known that said phrase is used to describe the masses or perhaps as some say the great unwashed but what you try to do is to find some way of informing the poster that somehow their use of said terminology is incorrect in order to look clever and massage your ego as if you are some kind of superior intellectual. It doesn't work and just makes you look a tit to be honest.

Yeah yeah - whatever

What made you look a (.) was trying to explain your ignorance by reference to an English Language dictionary and or Thesaurus when citing an Ancient Greek phrase.

You occasionally have the capacity to make me chuckle but you really are rather dull.

"Yeah Yeah whatever"? (lol) Please don't try to be all "down with the kids", at your age it just makes you look even dafter. As said, there was nothing ignorant in my use of that phrase. Its how its been used here for as long as I can remember. It was just as I said, a very poor attempt to make yourself sounds clever but it failed miserably.

Gremlin - 2022-08-02 3:05 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-02 2:37 PM

Gremlin - 2022-08-02 10:36 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-08-02 9:58 AM

Near Angouleme

Amazing.

B-)

PMSL! (lol)

From Healthline.com

PRAISED!!!

Let me explain.

Really? I mean - Really?

Yeah yeah - whatever

What made you look a (.) was trying to explain your ignorance by reference to an English Language dictionary and or Thesaurus when citing an Ancient Greek phrase.

You occasionally have the capacity to make me chuckle but you really are rather dull.

"Yeah Yeah whatever"? (lol) Please don't try to be all "down with the kids", at your age it just makes you look even dafter. As said, there was nothing ignorant in my use of that phrase. Its how its been used here for as long as I can remember. It was just as I said, a very poor attempt to make yourself sounds clever but it failed miserably.

Yes well, it matters not how often you repeat something - if it’s wrong, incorrect nonsense - it will still be so.

And I’m afraid when referring to Ancient Greek “As long as you remember” is hardly going to cut it - you silly boy.

Except its not wrong. You just decided it was in a pathetic attempt to try and sound clever and score points. As I said, show us some evidence. Show me some examples in the press or other media or indeed anything you can link to using "Hoi Polloi Barbaroi" instead of "Hoi Polloi". Over to you.

Channel 4 screened an excellent "Dispatches" doc last night from reporter Jane Moore about the chaos at our airports. Some passengers got that desperate they crawled into the baggage handling section asking for their luggage as they had connecting flights to make. They even offered to help the baggage handlers.

One baggage handler described the scenes of horror facing passengers that in many cases flights get delayed simply because there isn't enough baggage handlers to load aircraft.

BA sacked many of their staff via a 'fire and rehire' process drawing up new contracts offering cabin staff £17k a year so a lot told them where to stick it and left......unfortunately not all can afford to do that.

Most worrying was to find pilots now being asked to work more hours......and companies say it's up to the individual pilot to decide on his level of exhaustiveness. 8-)

One pilot who for understandable reasons wouldn't be named told how the pressure on pilots to "work harder" is immense.

Archived