Moroccan Money

vindiboy

I went to 3 travel agents today to try and find out about Dirams ?? for Morocco, one told me there are 5 Dirams to the pound, and the other two said that the Dirham is restricted currency and one is not allowed to take any into or out of Morocco and so they dont trade them, but said that when in Morocco I will be able to buy Dirams with Sterling. So what do all you seasoned Morocco travelers do ? *-)

When you go through the customs in Morocco there is a bank there and you can change your money there, one bit of advice try to get some small change coins when first changing your money as they will be useful for the guards when you park your motorhome up it is only a few dirums and you are a lot safer leaving it with a tipped guard. You will find many instances when small change is useful and, you are correct that you can not take dirrums in and out of Morocco, unless its changed in the past 12 months. Carol.

My wife has just returned from a holiday in Morocco,and we investigate d the 'money' side at some length, and can also now speak from her personal experinec whilst out there.

Yes, currency is Dirhams, rate about 12= £1, and technically a 'prohibited' currency (ie none in and none out). However, we did find that American Express would supply up to 1000 dirhams from their Uk outlets, although the rate of exchange not good. They would need a couple of days notice to get them in for you. Also at the Airport Branch, they have stock, where my wife changed, I think about £50, but rate only 11.5 to £1. However, it is useful to have some 'ready'money when you get there, but you can change at the airport on arrival or at your hotel.

She took UK £ currency notes, plus Travellers cheques. Although she didn't need to use the T/Cs some of the group were finding that the Banks would not change them, so beware.

Once there, she found the hotels were good for exchanging cash, and rates OK. COst of food etc there is pretty cheap, but French (imported ) wine pricey, although the local stuff good and much cheaper - well so she said!

She brought some 'llose' notes and coins back, which I think was around £10 worth, enough for initial use for next time visit.....

Anything else you wish to know, feel free to post here or send PM.

Not sure from the above post if you are going in your motorhome and going through the customs with your van where you will find the small bank in the Customs area, however if you are flying then yes I suppose the airport would be best. Never thought to add we had no trouble getting dirums out of the Cash Machines which can be found in the bigger towns, in the three weeks we had touring around. Carol.

Archived