Motorhome Fun website

Mel B

For those of you who sometimes frequent the Motorhome Fun website I thought I would let you know that things are changing over there.

Yesterday it was announced that it was to become a subscription site, with effect from 1 July 2010, and will cost £12 per year. Current MF members are deciding whether they wish to continue to be so.

The exact logistics of how it will work are being worked out as we speak.

Note that I am a current member of that site and am undecided as to whether to subscribe or not.

I post this simply as information, nothing more - please do NOT use this thread as a slagging place. :-|

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....hope this site stays free as MF is the third MH site to start charging!!! Before long by the time you've joined the 2 clubs, 3 websites and paid for a magazine or 4 MHing will only be for the bankers and other super rich!!

Guest peter
What are they charging for? The hints and tips are given freely by the members who don't expect payment. So it must be for the hosting

I have been visiting Motorhome Fun more lately but not any more.

I can see the point of paying where commercial downloads are offered to members, one that springs to mind is Pocket GPS World where members can downloads the latest speed camera databases for sat navs and other useful POI's.

Motorhome fun seem to be exaggerating the cost of running a forum & I do not see the point in paying for a forum where most of the posts that are of interest to me often mirror this forum.

We no longer own a motorhome or caravan so Im OUT as they say on Dragons Den. We are going down the road of renting cottages we feel the overall cost would be equal to running a motorhome , we have just booked a small cottage near Averanches for £190 p/week inclusive and are going to Yorkshire in 2 weeks in a cottage for £150 , The new VW Golf returns about 60mpg so all in all with the cost of owning a motorhome : tax / insurance / services / site fee's / depreciation and not using it for around 5 months a year seems a good idea to me hopefully so only time will tell

Guest JudgeMental

Kelly, sorry to see you go.....But why not admit camping is just not for you. I like the odd 5 star hotel experience now and again, but have loved camping since I was a boy. As for renting cottages, it can be a mixed and unreliable pursuit unless yu have deep pockets? you can end up in the middle of nowhere in a damp wreched place......a nice cottage in a popular area in summer probably well over £1000 a week? *-) You would be better of in hotels.......

Plus I like sleeping in my own bed :-D

EDIT: just wondering what this has to do with the "funsters"

JudgeMental - 2010-07-01 10:14 AM Kelly, sorry to see you go.....But why not admit camping is just not for you. :-D EDIT: just wondering what this has to do with the "funsters"

Motorhoming for us was great fun and we were able to see and go places we never dreamt was possible until the last trip when we were very badly let down by Fiat " Camper WE DO NOT CARE " when we broke down in France caused by bad workmanship by a FIAT garage !! so we sold the motorhome as we could not trust it again,but  never say never we may take up motorhoming at a later date but definateley not in a FIAT based vehicle.

As for the Funsters my posting was to make the point that I will not be subscribing at this time as I am no longer a motorhome owner.

kelly58 - 2010-07-01 12:23 PM
JudgeMental - 2010-07-01 10:14 AM Kelly, sorry to see you go.....But why not admit camping is just not for you. :-D EDIT: just wondering what this has to do with the "funsters"

Motorhoming for us was great fun and we were able to see and go places we never dreamt was possible until the last trip when we were very badly let down by Fiat " Camper WE DO NOT CARE " when we broke down in France caused by bad workmanship by a FIAT garage !! so we sold the motorhome as we could not trust it again,but  never say never we may take up motorhoming at a later date but definateley not in a FIAT based vehicle.

As for the Funsters my posting was to make the point that I will not be subscribing at this time as I am no longer a motorhome owner.

But this is MMM not Motorhome Fun and there is no subscription. You can always look into the Forum even though you have no motorhome there are other items of interest on here.

Guest JudgeMental

Kelly I know your breakdown story*-)

Cars can break down as well and often do even VW's:-S All you had to do was go to a hotel end of drama. We were recently stuck in Thailand (wonderful) because of the volcano. dumped at airport by Thai airways and left to get on with it. We had to find hotels and throughly enjoyed the extra two weeks. I am sorry but to give up a pursuit you enjoy because of one incident is very odd behaviour in my opinion.

lennyhb - 2010-07-01 8:46 AM

Mandy&Andy - 2010-07-01 6:16 AM

There is alot of history behind Fun, all I can say is how ironical, it has amused me no end :-D :-D :-D -

Mandy

Don't keep us in suspense, please elaborate.

In short, I think Mandy is referring to when Motorhomefacts went to subscriptions, the guys who started up fun made a great play of it being free, and it would ALWAYS be free. Always doesn't seem to be a very long time 8-) *-)

The shutters have come down on me on Motorhome fun too, I will not pay subscriptions to any site, I see I can still read posts on there but not post, so be it I am not bothered,I don't care if I am excluded altogether really, the Internet is a huge place and lots more things are happening in the world. :-o :-o

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2010-07-01 10:14 AM

Kelly, sorry to see you go.....But why not admit camping is just not for you. I like the odd 5 star hotel experience now and again, but have loved camping since I was a boy. As for renting cottages, it can be a mixed and unreliable pursuit unless yu have deep pockets? you can end up in the middle of nowhere in a damp wreched place......a nice cottage in a popular area in summer probably well over £1000 a week? *-) You would be better of in hotels.......

We too enjoy rented country cottage holidays for a change and we often wonder if we should sell the van and change holiday course for ever - but I can't really see us doing it - even though this current Boxer (2.2hdi 2006) is the least reliable Boxer I have ever had over the last 15 years or so - so I can see and relate to the thinking on this!

We are also tempted to get a caravan to tow with the car as well as the motorhome as there are times when a towed caravan and separate towcar can provide better holidays than a motorhome - similar in may ways to a rented cottage in fact - and there are times when a motorhome is by far the best type of holiday!

We quite fancy a boat again too - but that's another story!

As for Motorhomefun - they can continue to have their fun without the dubious benefit of my company!

vindiboy - 2010-07-01 1:38 PM The shutters have come down on me on Motorhome fun too, I will not pay subscriptions to any site, I see I can still read posts on there but not post, so be it I am not bothered,I don't care if I am excluded altogether really, the Internet is a huge place and lots more things are happening in the world. :-o :-o

Same goe's for me I could not have put it better myself.

Below is a posting that I put on the MF site yesterday when I first saw the 'announcement' about it going over to subscriptions, read it if you're interested, basically I tried to explain what is involved in running a website and also my view on the matter.

The real thing I find rather unfortunate about all of this is the speed at which it has been done and the restriction which is now imposed on those of us who 'were' members who are now suddenly 'not' members anymore. I have some questions about the subscriptions which I cannot post on the MF forum but, as there isn't a 'transition' period, us 'undecideds' have been 'cut off' rather abruptly. I am still unsure whether to join or not. :-S

I used to look after a website for our car club, did it for many a year, worked very hard developing it, putting a lot of time into its design/redesigns over the years, keeping it up to date, getting info etc for the members' interest. It is bl**dy hard work!!!!! It takes an inordinate amount of time sometimes to do just the simplest of things - the web/servers have minds of their own and are prone to have tantrums, a bit like 2 year olds, which have to be sorted there and then ... lots of late nights.

I finally found a willing 'volunteer' (mug?) to take it over from me last year and I am so glad I did ... I got to the point of absolutely detesting having to do it and very much resented the amount of time it took - with very little input from the committee members it was hard work. I had thought of going into web design as a career as I had a 'flair' for it, but after a few years' experience I just couldn't fact doing it day in, day out, I'd go absolutely nuts!!! Unless you have actually ever set up and run a website, you cannot possibly know the amount of effort it takes, so if you have any illusions as to it being easy - forget it! A good site takes a lot of work - continuous work, you can’t just do it and then leave it alone, it grows, like a ‘baby’: first it needs feeding, burping, changing (to keep it fresh), educating (developing and improving) etc. Then come the toddler years where the ‘rules’ have to be learned and possibly enforced, it grows up a bit and settles for a while then it gets to the teenage years and we all know what that can be like, squabbling and sulking ... even friendly folk go through this! Hopefully it then goes on from this to become an adult, hopefully well rounded, with lots of interests and friends, being helpful and helping.

As for the finances, I totally understand Jim's unwillingness to give out the actual figures etc, but I also understand that, when asking for money, it isn't unfair for the members to ask for a bit of an explanation as to where it will go and what it will cover. Therefore I think some members will have appreciated the post from someone (sorry can't remember who and I ain't reading back through all of the pages again to find out!) who gave an idea of the costs of running a site like this - such as the costs for domain name, hosting, the server, back-up etc, etc. This, in my view, makes it a bit easier for people to understand why it is difficult for this site to remain fee free, especially in the current economic climate where advertising revenue cannot be relied on to keep it going and the small contribution which income from regalia will make is negligible I'm afraid - I know, I used to do regalia for our club and it's a thankless job most of the time, despite members doing their best to procure the stock as soon as they can. Whether Jim gets an income from the proceeds of membership or not is totally irrelevant, I seriously doubt it the money will cover more than the basics to keep the site going, if it does, then why isn’t Jim entitled to it? After all, he’s the one who’s doing it! Apologies in advance if Bryan is more involved, but I haven’t been around long enough to know exactly the ins and outs of the site and who does what. What is clear, is what started as a bit of a hobby has turned into a large, popular, website, which is very fortunate, or not, depending on your viewpoint! But it is clear that it must take a heck of a lot of time, unpaid time too, and I would guess in the most part, is done willingly.

The difficulty personally have with a subscription 'forum' though is that the contributors (members) are giving their advice 'freely', as a lot are 'givers' rather than 'receivers' this is where I think it can be a bit borderline for some. It isn't like a fully commercial website, the 'product' of this site is, on the whole, knowledge, how to quantify that 'value' is difficult. I willingly give knowledge, and I occasionally ask for guidance myself - I certainly wouldn’t sell my knowledge or expect to pay others for it if they are giving it willingly. But, I think that this is missing the point, IMV we are not being asked to pay to give or be given advice.

So, what do I think we are actually being asked to pay for? I think the answer is simply a place where we can all ‘meet’ to chat, communicate, let off steam, ask questions, get answers, play, explore ... the site meets a multifarious amount of needs for a diverse group of people. It is a bit like an online clubhouse but without the booze (well, on the whole!) - if it were bricks and mortar rather than in the ‘ether’ of the internet, and you were able to pop in as much as you liked, at any time of day, would this change your view on whether or not you should have to pay to use the facility? After all a building needs to be looked after and paid for to maintain it.

The only think I can say to those who are unsure is: before deciding whether to pay or not - don’t make a kneejerk reaction but think it through. Some will willingly pay (as many have already), but similarly some aren’t happy with it. Forget about all of that, and be a bit ‘selfish’ if you like - decide what YOU get out of it, whether as a contributor with the pleasure you get at being able to help others, or as a receiver and being given help when you need it. Are there any other benefits, or not, you feel you get which may sway you one way or another. Then decide whether it is something you want to continue to do or not ... you’ll then have your answer.

Guest pelmetman
Pay to be on forums 8-) 8-) 8-) ................................................................................Just the thought sent a shudder through my wallet :'(

I've occasionally looked at MHFun, but as far as I can remember I never joined even when it was free. In general, though, it seems to me that a "pay" forum is worth joining if, and only if, it is clearly more "independent" than equivalent free sites (because not depending on advertising, or tied to magazines).

On that basis, I can only say that during the time I've been a regular on here, I've never felt that the moderation has been unduly influenced by the interests of the magazines or the advertisers. As far as I can see, threads are only "pulled" when the legal dept feel there's a clear risk of litigation, not just for being critical about specifics (e.g. the long-running Fiat saga). Even big-advertising dealers can be criticised here for SPECIFIC failings, just not slagged off in a general sense.

So with a reasonably unbiassed forum like this, full of such wonderful people (well, half-full!), what more could a pay-forum offer?

Tony Jones - 2010-07-01 7:08 PM

So with a reasonably unbiased forum like this, full of such wonderful people (well, half-full!), what more could a pay-forum offer?

I joined MHFun for the rallies and camping areas at the shows. Just spent a (very) long weekend with them and all I can say is - it was FUN!!

Can't say that this forum has actually done anything for us except provide a platform for our views and opinions.

You gets what you pays for :-D

Guest Tracker

We would probably have joined the MHF group at shows but we never pre book as we reserve the right not to go if the weather turns sour and you can only join in the alleged fun if you pre book!

But we still meet great people and have fun in the general camping areas so all is not lost.

I like the 'security' of camping with people I know at large events, Rich.

I usually go with the C & CC as there are a group of us that have camped together for the last few years, but I don't see them from one year to the next now.

Each to his own. :-D

Guest Tracker

Fair enough Janine - can't blame you for that philosophy - but we have never felt unsafe at any showground!

Nevertheless I don't leave chairs or anything else outside at night and always lock the van when wandering off out of sight of the door (cab doors remain locked at all times anyway)

You do meet some funny buggers at shows - especially in club areas!

First I would like to thank MelB for such a well balanced posting on what could be a very emotive subject. It was asked why such speed from free to subscribe,. Having been there when Facts went subscription and I have to hold my hand up to being anti - subscription, the speed may well be down to Jim not wanting to loose his most valuable resource, information. When it was announced at Facts that it was going subsciption I and others removed most of their input as we felt it wrong that somebody should profit from information given freely at the time. This at the time was seen by some as childish, they may well be right but it is a principle that I still hold today. Some may say that by posting on this forum MMM profit, they probably do but in such a direct manner.i.e A little while ago due to a change in my finances I cancelled my subscription to MMM but this does not bar me from posting here .

Like others, I used to belong to MH Facts when it was free (ie funded by adverts).

I have also, until now, been a member of MH Fun.

Their change to 12 quid per year mebership fee measn i will not be going there any more.

Tight?

Yes.

But there are so many competitors whose sites continue to exist based on advert revenue; and who are able to balance allegiance to their sponsers whilst allowing free interplay between members, that I don't feel the need to pay out for my MH info "fix".

The internet really is a great example of free-market Supply and Demand.

As one site becomes "pay", so people drift away to other sites that aren't.

Que sera.....

Archived