Moving away

Wingpete

Moving away  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am off to USA tomorrow, for 21 days of warm sunshine, smiling faces, and plenty of friends waiting to meet & greet me, along with 10,000 other enthusiasts of the Gold Wing motorcycle.

Actually flying into Atlanta, then taking a drive up to N Carolina, to stay with a couple who come here 2 years ago. Sort of reciprocal arrangement.

After 5 days there, in Ararat, we drive back to Greenville, S Carolina for the big meet. Last time we were in Greenville, 6 yrs ago, a guy came and asked why I was wearing the Union Flag on my waistcoat. As he asked, his accent gave him away as being a Londoner. I acknowledge his approach, and enquired of his origins. Yes, he came to live in Greenville after working as a motorcycle policeman in Lewisham, SE London some 25 years previously. He explained that he had lost the lower left leg when a police car collided with him on a chase, so that put paid to his career.

Emigration appealed to him, and so did an American lady who he married.

During our very animated conversation, he got around to asking whether I had been a policeman. He was adamant that I was and he knew me.

I let him know, I had been a fireman at New Cross, SE London, only 3 miles or so from Lewisham.

Then the penny dropped.

We had been at the same incidents all those years ago, and found we had much in common. He even emailed me a photo of a fireman friend in London, who rose to become the Chief Inspector of Fire Services for all UK, and also served with me in those early days.

Since then, naturally, we have kept in touch via emails and phone calls, so around July 4th, he & I shall be seen wearing our Union Jack shirts, for all those Americans to see.

I just love giving them a potted history of how they were "given" democracy, not "won it in a war" . They believe me !

See you all on return, and hope the forums are in better condition by then (lol)

Have a wonderful time Wingpete. Hope the Native Americans feature in the celebrations somewhere. :-S It sounds like you are off on a wonderful trip. Don't forget the camera to show us all what you have been up to when you get back. Joy

Guest JudgeMental
Wingpete - 2008-06-22 5:30 PM

Then the penny dropped.

We had been at the same incidents all those years ago, and found we had much in common. He even emailed me a photo of a fireman friend in London, who rose to become the Chief Inspector of Fire Services for all UK, and also served with me in those early days.

Since then, naturally, we have kept in touch via emails and phone calls, so around July 4th, he & I shall be seen wearing our Union Jack shirts, for all those Americans to see.

I just love giving them a potted history of how they were "given" democracy, not "won it in a war" . They believe me !

See you all on return, and hope the forums are in better condition by then (lol)

Lovely story, just goes to show its a small world after all - everybody sing after me! - its a small..... :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Back home in Blighty. Had fab time, nice 90 + temps most days. Some thunderstorms though, and darned vicious at that. Had to retreat off a verandah when having dinner, saved the food but shirt was soaked.

Still, it was warm rain ! Had great time, pulling the legs of the Yanks, and most times, they never even knew. Taught them about their history on July 4th, my version ! Still remain friendly and they do want Barack Obama.

Piccys to follow, when I unload the camera.

Archived