My Dilema can you help

michele

Ok we are booked to go to the South Of France 9th til the 31st of August ,

The dilema is do we take the little one her Epilepsy is very bad . Our fear is not being close enough to a hospital on route .

The first week we did plan to travel down the Canal Du Midi and come out at the bottom of France Agde I think then meander on to the site for the next two weeks .

Ok so do we take her dearly we would love to as this is life and we have to get on with it . Not worried about ending up in hospital once there as I am sure it is better treatment than here . The worry is being close to the hospitals just incase we need it on route .

Any suggestions re a change of the first week although we are not actually booked on to the site for that week .. We have got a copy of auto route express and this is very good at showing hospitals ..

Should we or shouldnt we we dearly miss her and would love to take her .

just this hospital thing and the canal du midi location ..

Please someone remind me what number we call for an ambulance in France and do you have to speak french ?

Cheers all.

My suggestion would be that you take a card with you with her condition etc explained on it in French. You should have time to get this arranged before you go.

In fact, take a couple of copies of it - one you keep with you - and maybe one on her person somewhere.

Then, in an emergency you haven't got to try and work it all out on the spot - just produce the card to the medics/ emergency services wherever you are.

Hopefully you won't need to use it.

Best of luck.

yacks just had a look at the site thanks for that I think we will be taking her as we cant bear for her to be away from us and also we dont think the level of care at the school is good enough for her .

Now the dilema is where or what to do just incase we need the health service on route down the canal.. oh dear may be lucky then again may not ...Does anyone know if we have to pay for an ambulance in france

Michele, Can't help on your questions sorry, but wanted to say that I think if you don't take her you will misss her so much it would spoil your holiday, and I really really hope you all have a wonderful time.

I am sure as long as you are prepared, as all the above messages give advice on, that you will have a wonderful time. Life is precious. Our most precious gift to give someone is Time. Go for it. Joy

michele - 2008-06-18 4:27 PM

yacks just had a look at the site thanks for that I think we will be taking her as we cant bear for her to be away from us and also we dont think the level of care at the school is good enough for her .

Now the dilema is where or what to do just incase we need the health service on route down the canal.. oh dear may be lucky then again may not ...Does anyone know if we have to pay for an ambulance in france

what does the small print say on your insurance???

not sure how you'd fare with costs

as a pre-existing condition and all that

B-)

So sorry to hear about your little girl but join with the others in saying that you would feel better if you took her with you. How old is she?

I am going to a site in England in July with my family and I can't take my companion with me. I shall miss her terribly and she is only a dog!

Almost certainly the emergency services will not speak English, you do have to pay for an ambulance (but it could be quicker and less hassle to drive there depending how far away the hospital is) and the French do now have to provide emergency care. There would probably be some expenses though.

However, to give you more courage why not register with Pass the Phone. This is an organisation where they speak several languages fluently and who will make the calls for you and also translate when you need it i.e. at the hospital. I joined some years ago when we holidayed in Spain because my husband was suffering from cancer and had also had a stroke. It was very reassuring to know that in the event of an emergency someone would be able to help.

Their website is www.1stps.com/passthephone.html.

Hope you have a wonderful time - at least you are doing everything to assure that. Bon voyage.

Archived